Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DigiWeb.ie - how does it compare

• 30-07-2003 8:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

http://www.digiweb.ie/

This broadband satellite setup anywhere in Ireland looks good. 512k download and 128k upload all for a flat rate of €99 per month (€1144 for the equipment and installation).
    Looks a good deal if you located somewhere that can't take advantage of DSL? Or is it?
    How does it compare?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Good for those reasons and thats about it.. they have been discussed many a time before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

They are also deploying a wireless solution, and seem to be concentrating on the northern counties (within RoI) at the moment.

Keep in mind that satellite is not appropriate for any online gaming because of the latency issues, if gaming is your thang:)

c0y0te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

i must stress the ping issue... you can't play games on satellite, you can't play any games on satelite... games are impossible to play on satelite.

Also, satellite is way to expensive install. And if you do decide to get it, see if the upstream is supplied by satellite or modem, i know what used to happen was a satellite was used for downloading, and a modem for uploading.

But i'd advise heavily agaist satellite access as a form of connection for residential customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    i must stress the ping issue... you can't play games on satellite, you can't play any games on satelite... games are impossible to play on satelite.

Also, satellite is way to expensive install. And if you do decide to get it, see if the upstream is supplied by satellite or modem, i know what used to happen was a satellite was used for downloading, and a modem for uploading.

But i'd advise heavily agaist satellite access as a form of connection for residential customers.

Yes, you upstream to the satellite - so it says anyway.

No, gaming isn't my thang, but would boringly using it for work - email, instant messaging, web conferencing and the like. But tell us more as to why you can't use satellite for gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

takes around 150ms to send back the data u asked for via your modem uplink thus making online gaming unplayable, online gaming requires smooth low latency, low ms pings for a smooth game

digiweb are a disgustingly bad service, i enquired to them about a cap and they will enforce a 1.5gb to 3gb cap in 2004

they can keep it.

• Advertisement

oh ill be going live on my satellite connection tommorow, cost me 300euro to get setup and im good to go after i receive my sat modem tommorow by courier

www.silvermead.net

512k @ 40e, whats that mutant fruit, i hear u collapsing :)

they seem to have had some initial problems but now things are fine apart from the minor problems with speed, but that all depends on satellite dish size, weather situation and a few other factors

other than that ill be downloading hopefully tommorow at 60k/sec, streaming all i want, oh and you can game online, just not low latency games ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

The reason for no gaming on satellite is the way satelite sends data, it can still achieve the same speeds as adsl/wireless BUT it uses less packets a second. While adsl/wireless might send 100 packets a second (resuling in a ping of 100) Satelite might only send 30 packets a second resulting in a ping of 300+. The thing is though, that satelites packets are bigger in size.

As for 60kb's downstream... i get that already AND with pings of 40-100ms
    they seem to have had some initial problems but now things are fine apart from the minor problems with speed, but that all depends on satellite dish size, weather situation and a few other factors

I have no such problems... anymore... :-p
    €99 per month (€1144 for the equipment and installation)

So how did you get installed for 300 eur? and only 40 eur monthly?

And lastly, what company are you connecting with that offers these amazingly cheap fees for satelite?

take the time to read my posts Mutant_Fruit before commenting, its all listed above :D

oh and not everyone is as lucky to be in wireless/cable/adsl enabled areas, thus this was my last resort to any sort of broadband facility and im quite sure many others are in the same boat

dish/lnb/dvb card, ur arent building a pyramid... as u seem to think its not that difficult, i like to call it shopping around

Advertisement