Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do I report a new virus? to whom?

• 30-07-2003 9:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I got a file overnight spoofing as from the "MS Outlook 5 Team and with an .EXE file which appears to be called moltamdo.exe. I have not opened the file but wonder is there some central register or something I should be sending it to. (Google has never heard of moltamdo.exe)

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Alanm

AFAIK, most of the big companies will have a way of reporting directly to them (e.g. http://us.mcafee.com/root/faqs.asp?faq=453).

There are different virus's (virii?) out there that can randomise the name of the attachment so that might be why you can't find this with google!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

For Symantec:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/submit.html

That actually gets submitted to the Symantec team here in Dublin, you may like to know.

The chances of the virus (if it is one) being a new one is very slim. Usually, you read about it before you get it. That is of course, unless you (cough) create it yourself...

Good luck!

Steve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

I'm grateful for both responses but in order to do what either Macafee or Symantec suggest you have to open the file first - I'm trying to avoid that bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Originally posted by vinnyfitz
    but in order to do what either Macafee or Symantec suggest you have to open the file first - I'm trying to avoid that bit.

Well then you can either delete it or open it :rolleyes:

but...
    I thought it might be more helpful to others if when we spot dodgy stuff we report it rather than allowing others get bitten!

Maybe I got that wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Open it in a newcafe, where the PC's are imaged nighty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The name of the file can be quite irrelevant.

If you don't have a virus scanner that recognises the virus, try sending it to a hotmail account. Their virus checker should pick it up, and give you the name of it. If it doesn't pick it up, then you have a new virus.

:)

Thanks for that. I sent it to a Yahoo address and then scanned it with their version of Norton - it turned out to be Bug bear somehow in Irish!

"File name: Moltam_do_chruinniz_le_Bardas_Atha_Cliath.doc.exe
    File type: application/x-msdownload
    Scan result: Virus W32.Bugbear.B@mm found. File not cleaned"

Now I want to know why Norton - which I also have installed on my PC did not spot it - ought it not be scanning attachments to emails that come in to me?

UPDATE OK so I'm dumb - checked my Norton settings and found that when first set up the (not very obvious) option to scan incoming emails had not been selected! Given that that is why I have been paying for Norton for three years I feel like I have been wasting my money. [Of course I also feel lucky I never caught a virus in all that time!].

Thanks again folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by vinnyfitz
    Now I want to know why Norton - which I also have installed on my PC did not spot it - ought it not be scanning attachments to emails that come in to me?
    I dunno, having never owned a copy of anti-virus software (don't bother commenting).

Perhaps there's some sort of plugin for Norton that lets it scan emails while outlook is d/l'ing them, or maybe it's as simple as a setting in norton to scan all incoming web traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by seamus
    Perhaps there's some sort of plugin for Norton that lets it scan emails while outlook is d/l'ing them, or maybe it's as simple as a setting in norton to scan all incoming web traffic.

aye you have to set it up to act basically as a mail proxy.. its in the options, it should give a list of current accounts for Outlook or OE, and you tick which ones you want to enable protection on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

2002 and 2003 enable the amil scanning automatically now. It's just as cheap to buy the newest version than to buy the subscription. Better virus engine too usually.

Advertisement