Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Throat Pain

• 30-07-2003 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

Lo

I have this acute pain in my thorat whenever I swallow after long periods of NOT swallowing/talking, or when I talk at a high pitched voice. This appeared last week.

The pain is pinpointed in one spot, I dont smoke, and I am a VERY occasional drinker. No history of cancer in the family.

I will be going to the medical man sat morn, but was wondering if anyone has encountered this before.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Has it remained a constant pain, or does it come and go/get better and worse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

As you mention it, it comes and goes better and worse. Its normally sore first thing in morning, and before Lunch. I would imagine that this is becuase the throat has not been "used" much within those periods.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Because it comes and goes, I'd tend to get the impression that it's something that will sort itself out if nothing is done about it.

Depending on the type of pain, it could be anything from a bacterial infection to a cut, maybe from something you swallowed.

Talking with a high pitched voice would use muscles that you wouldn't otherwise use, but the being sore after not talking for a while...maybe the problem keeps trying to heal itself, but doesn't get the chance since you keep talking?

You could maybe see about getting something to speed up the healing process?

Can you give better description of the pain?

Steve.

It reminds me of something you described as a "cut". Talking is a big part of my job, so no luck there :D

At this moment it has numbed some bit - it is not as severe as earlier today.

If it was a constant pain I would have got it sorted las week. But given that it comes and goes, never quite going completely, but sufficiently NOT enough to cause me great pain.

Hopefully tis as bad as I always seem to think these things are...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

i think your condition is called Strepped(im not giving medical advice btw) throat i had it a couple of weeks ago its real painful. Your doc will give ya sometine to clear it up. i took panadol in the mean time it helped(not medical advice).

• Advertisement

Ive been on disperen at nights, more to help me sleep than anything :D Thanks for the info, Ill go take a google about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Its probably a throat infection.

Don't just swallow the disperin. Garggle it for as long as you can (like mouth wash). This will help alleviate the pain.

Go to your doctor and he may prescribe for you (although don't be surprised if he doesn't).

Follow out the course of medication (even if it feels better, take the full allotment of medication) and you'll be right as rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Have you or any one you know punched you violently in the throat recently? This is a common cause of severe throat pain.

.logic.

only you logic

only you

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RE: I have this acute pain in my thorat whenever I swallow after long periods of NOT swallowing/talking, or when I talk at a high pitched voice.

By any chance have you changed your sexual partner recently ?
    and is HE very well endowed ..... do you use your high pitched voice to turn him on .. :D

[reality]
    Try honey in hot milk - tastes horrible - but worth a try
    are you affected by drafts - creak in the neck etc ?
    I take it you are not hoarse from shouting - and no obvious cause and effect.

if symptoms persist - see a doctor (if you can afford it)
    strepsils can be got in the chemist - as can advice ....
    best of luck on Saturday

[/reality]

• Advertisement

[Reality]

As it happens the pain has come down considerably. I took to drinker more water, and gargling that wonder drug - disperen.

All should be well by Sat, so Ill leave that trip till a later date

[/Reality]

I HAET YOU ALL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

That could be a streptococcal throat or even a mouth ulcer. When they are on the back of your throat, they tend to hurt more when disturbed (ie swallowing, talking) or strained (talking in a high pitched voice). Be glad its not the tonsils. I had constant tonsilitis for about 13 years until I got them out and its hideous.

Advertisement