Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roads Programme late and more expensive

Options
  • 30-07-2003 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

The Construction Industry Federation has said the Roads Programme, set out under the National Development Plan, is now unlikely to be completed until 2010, four years behind target.

In its mid-term review, the CIF says the National Roads Authority should now produce a seven-year schedule of projects.

It estimates that completion of the programme will require another €15bn on top of the €4bn already spent.

The CIF says current revenues will not be enough to eliminate the infrastructural deficit over the next 20 years, and calls for other sources of funding to be used, including public private partnerships, Government bonds, Central Bank reserves.

The CIF also supports the ESRI's proposal for a suspension of contributions to the National Pensions Reserve Fund to fund capital spending.

The federation says the provision of solid waste infrastructure is the most disappointing aspect of the National Development Plan, claiming that many areas of the country will have no disposal capacity within five years unless urgent action is taken.

Quell Surprise...

Its difficult to see any great improvment in this until politicians
    are willing to stop playing to the gallery and completely reform the planning laws and the rights ppl have over property.

Still I see the Kildare By-pass is actually ahead of schedule...

I'd be all in favour of putting money into the NDP which is intended for the Penisons Reserve Fund after all the best way to guarentee money for the future is to invest now where its really needed.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

To the best of my knowledge all the contracts for the construction of the M1 finished ahead of schedule ... I don't think its as uncommon as the defeatists among us would portrait.
    I'd be all in favour of putting money into the NDP which is intended for the Penisons Reserve Fund after all the best way to guarentee money for the future is to invest now where its really needed.

Of course then for the Penisions Reserve Fund to get a decent return all the roads would be Public-Private-Partnership (with the Pensions Reserve Fund being the private bit), and would therefore be tolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Also the 'Construction Industry Federation' would have absolutely no self interest in portraiting the plan to be hugely behind schedule, that makes these sort of statements on an almost quaterily basis ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gosh! I've been duped!:eek:
    (me lives at the "wrong" end of the N9/10)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I read this as "Most of our membership is nearing retirement and we want our pensions taken care of first. Break projects into smaller sections and extend the programme so only Irish contractors".

Of course 2006 was always pie in the sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by MDR
    Of course then for the Penisions Reserve Fund to get a decent return all the roads would be Public-Private-Partnership (with the Pensions Reserve Fund being the private bit), and would therefore be tolled.

Not necessarily.

The National Pension Reserve Fund money could be used on behalf of the fund to pay for the construction of the roads. Instead of tolling, the Government could pay the NDP an agreed sum each year for the 20 years. This is akin to the Government borrowing on the open market to fund infrastructure investment, but has a number of attractions. Keeps the profit in the country. Profit is used for the common good. Guaranteed return for the NPRF.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by De Rebel
    Keeps the profit in the country. Profit is used for the common good. Guaranteed return for the NPRF.
    It's a fundamental basic of pension fund management to spread it around. The CIF just wants to spread it around themseles.

Advertisement