Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iol Cap Reset Date

Options
  • 30-07-2003 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Just got a reply from support at ESAT that has ruined my day; I figured from what I read on the forums that the 5GB would be reset at the end of the month regardless of sign up date. No its seems not - below is email reply from ESAT ...

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your email. The monthly period begins from the connection date and resets every 30 days after that.

Kind Regards

Kevin
    Esat BT

Well thats me with maybe 10megs for another 21 days!
    :rolleyes:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Originally posted by Opiate8
    Just got a reply from support at ESAT that has ruined my day; I figured from what I read on the forums that the 5GB would be reset at the end of the month regardless of sign up date. No its seems not - below is email reply from ESAT ...

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your email. The monthly period begins from the connection date and resets every 30 days after that.

Kind Regards

Kevin
    Esat BT

Well thats me with maybe 10megs for another 21 days!
    :rolleyes:

hehe...did you really think they would give you a free lunch like that?
    I also called, they said my 5GB lasts for 30 days from July 22nd...which is when my line went live. However...i did not get the modem and use the line until the the next day.

But i ain't gonna bitch to them about one day, well maybe i could.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

i got the same answer from eircom, they told me that they would reset my cap every 25th, now i found out(when i also was told about dsl stats on eircom page, the information which i got from this board and not from eircom, which i was supposed to get!) they do it every 1st of the month!

they are a big liers! but what can we do about it? nothing! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

that sucks. i dont even know why they have such a hard-on for the cap, on the continent it's not enforced.
    i'm not a gamer, so i dont think i'll go over the cap..although i think i can manage that no problem :D
    either way, i'll be okay for this month coz i'm off for 2 weeks, but i seriously thought it resets at the end of the month (so i told myself wow i'll have 5gigs to spend in a week!!)
    no such luck i guess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

Well this is what i got...and MAN am i sticking to it.
    Thank you for your query in relation to your IOL Broadband Service. I have spoken with the product manager and he has confirmed that the Cap's will be reset at the end of each Calendar month, irrespective of the activation date. I hope this clarifies your query and should you have any further questions or issues, please don't hesitate to contact our Tech Support Team on 1890 92311 or Customer Care on 1800 923222.

there you go.

so in the truest Esat fashion, we now have 2 versions....
    although i dont think it would be economical for them to keep track of every individual's user activation date (in relation to resetting the cap). It would be logical to reset everyone's cap once a month - an automated service that resets on the first of every month..like a clock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Lad,s stop worrying about a cap

I used 1,8 gig d/l and 0.43 upload in 27 days

That includs
    1.surfing
    2.play games for around 3 hours a day
    3.D.ling patchs and mods from www.bcfiles.com
    4.I also d.led the jackass movie from kazza

so unless your a d/l monkey you should have no probs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

the problem is that i'm download macian!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

I got 4 game trailers the other day and they came to a total of 990 megs.

You're obviously not using your connection right Bizmark :) Have you even tried high quality streaming audio/video yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

no i use it for what i got it for

if i wanted unlimited d/l i would of went to netsource

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

right,

Does the cap included upload and download or just download??

• Advertisement

DOWNLOAD:)

If you dont believe me, read the faq.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Yes, but the faq's are vague and T&C are all that has legal standing!!

Chill will you. the faq is there for the whole world to see. And im going by the faq.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Best bite the better side of the apple then the other...

Originally posted by clownboy
    right,

Does the cap included upload and download or just download??

Esat technical said they included both upstream and downstream toward your monthly usage quota.

Lads think about it, Upstream is not Download. Download is Download. 5gb Download is 5gb download. Why make it complicated?

Originally posted by UbahOne
    Lads think about it, Upstream is not Download. Download is Download. 5gb Download is 5gb download. Why make it complicated?

I am only telling you what a guy in technical support told me YESTERDAY on the phone...i ain't making stuff up.

Again...their SUPPOSED to know their job, and customers take what they say as the truth, because we're not DSL and technical experts.

oh dont worry, i wasnt hitting at you. Im getin at IOl. there a mess. Download is not upload. Just like an apple is not an orange but they are both peaces of fruit.

Originally posted by UbahOne
    oh dont worry, i wasnt hitting at you. Im getin at IOl. there a mess. Download is not upload. Just like an apple is not an orange but they are both peaces of fruit.

I hope you're right, as the terms and conditions state clearly download cap of 5GB, it say's nothing about a cap on upload or if it's included in your monthly usage.

So...what if try slip this one in?, do we have a case then Etho?

• Advertisement

Man they wont. Even though they have full control with the direct debit thing going on, they still wouldn't i rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 blueforest

UTV reset the cap at the end of each calendar month. When I was activated last week, I asked specifically if I had 5Gb to "use" between then and the end of July, and was simply told "Yes".

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

/smiles at DSL connection

14 gigs in two and a half weeks :)

we're arguing like idiots...we should just mail the thread to Gary Dempsey, if he doesnt have an answer, then no one does.
    Your upload would be marginal compared to downloads, they will include it in the cap, just like surfing etc, any information coming your way counts as d/l...

in a previous thread someone posted a link to esat's "user history" ...there it clearly shows you how they calculate, even though they separate d/l and u/l they add up.

http://broadband.iol.ie/cgi-bin/sec/dsl

just drop the @iolbb when loggin in, it shows both u/l and d/l speeds, but they're calculated together for your monthly cap.

Lads,
    Your upload would be marginal compared to downloads, they will include it in the cap, just like surfing etc, any information coming your way counts as d/l...

you just basically said it yourself..."any info coming your way counts as d/l". But its not coming our way...its going the opposite way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

I also got confirmation from their technical support by email, that the 5GB were dl and ul.
    Waiting for an answer on the reset date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

Anyway I think it is best to get those kind of confirmation by email.
    It is better to have something written to hold to in case they talked bs.

I have it writted in an email. And i have the reset cap thing. 5gb is download and its reset at the end of the month. what are IOL like?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Ancient1
    http://broadband.iol.ie/cgi-bin/sec/dsl

just drop the @iolbb when loggin in, it shows both u/l and d/l speeds, but they're calculated together for your monthly cap.

Here is my stats, i'm not a warez or download freak.

This is a summary of all traffic since you first logged in
    First Login Wed Jul 23 10:06:35 2003
    Last Login Wed Jul 30 18:37:33 2003
    Last Login Duration 15 minutes
    Logins 50
    Offpeak Traffic 3090 minutes
    Peak Traffic 465 minutes
    Data uploaded 0.08 GB [87821446 bytes]
    Data downloaded 0.78 GB [837765746 bytes]

Advertisement