Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTVxl - IP Address ??

Options
  • 30-07-2003 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭

Can someone confirm or deny for me whether everyone using UTVxl service has the same IP Address ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Somebody will correct me if im wrong but id imagine your assigned a different one every time you log on?

i must try it and see.

You can check by going to the command prompt once you've dialed in and then typing ipconfig /all
    then...go offline and dialup again...run ipconfig /all at the prompt and see if the ip address is the same as before...

With some dsl packages, you can get static ips...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

on dial up you should never get the same ip twice in a row (or all that often). Think it can be done tho...ask utv if u want it. Would probably cost ya if they do have that service tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moving to Nets/Comms

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

they use dynamic IP's in that everytime you login a DHCP server will assign you an IP for use in that session. 2 people can't have the same IP at the same time because there would be a conflict on the Internet. Some services allow you to rent a Static IP so that you have the same one all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

I use UTVxl at home and now in work, and have noticed that the IP adderess I'm assigned is always the same ... every time I dial up ... whether I'm at home or in work and they're both different UTV accounts obvoiusly.

The mods here should know ... surely the can see that many people (well those that are using UTVxl) always have the same IP address !!

I assume this means that UTVxl has one connection to the internet and is sharing it with all of their users ... Is this possible ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

this couldnt be possible unless each and every utvip user wanted to see exactly the same data downloaded. the ip address lets the sending server know where its going. Its like your street address, the info is sent to from whoever and the reasno it gets to you is that you have a unique address.

Are you sure they are exactly the same? usually each isp will only have to change the last few numbers for each user. The first few would be the isp's address, knda like your road and the last few numbers would be your house name on that road.

Bleh not explained very well but i hope you understand.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by v10
    I use UTVxl at home and now in work, and have noticed that the IP adderess I'm assigned is always the same ... every time I dial up ... whether I'm at home or in work and they're both different UTV accounts obvoiusly.

The mods here should know ... surely the can see that many people (well those that are using UTVxl) always have the same IP address !!

I assume this means that UTVxl has one connection to the internet and is sharing it with all of their users ... Is this possible ?

Every computer that is connected to the Internet (just think of the internet as one huge network) must have a unique IP address to send and recieve data. One IP address can not be used for many users. One IP address can be used to host many websites though because the webserver uses ports to create virtual hosts. If you are connecting with the same IP address in work as you are at home it's only gonna happen when one is connected and the other isn't. I can gaurantee you that if you create a connection at home and then go into work and create another connection then the IP address you are assigned will differ in both connections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭XbLaDe

They allocate IP's through DHCP so when your client id is sent to them (normally a mac address) your allocated a ip and theres a lease attached, which expires whatever the sys admin defined. As suggested its quiet impossible to have the same ip address at work and at home but if you dial in twice it is possible to get the same ip address.

UTV do provide static ip addresses at an extra cost of €5 pm but im not sure will they point them to FQDs.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Just curious, v10: where are you getting the IP from? If it is being reported by a remote website, it's just possible you're seeing the UTV transcache address, as it transparently intercepts all HTTP traffic through their network.

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    Just curious, v10: where are you getting the IP from? If it is being reported by a remote website, it's just possible you're seeing the UTV transcache address, as it transparently intercepts all HTTP traffic through their network.

Maybe, I dunno ...

I get the same IP address from - HERE - each time ... whichever UTV account or computer I dial in from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

What is the ip address you're seeing on whatismyip.com?
    Like oscarBravo said, it's probably their proxy server's ip address.
    Do a winipcfg/ipconfig and see what ip is assigned to the PPP adapter.

My Ip is always 195.218.116.8 according to whatismyip.com and other sites I've checked.

Yet if I dial in through an eircomfree account it's different every time I dial in.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

195.218.116.8 - yup, I'm pretty sure that's the transcache.

Last time I dialed in I got:

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
              inet addr:195.218.110.10  P-t-P:195.218.116.12  Mask:255.255.255.255

This time it's:

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
              inet addr:195.218.110.129  P-t-P:195.218.116.12  Mask:255.255.255.255

So, definitely different each time.

Advertisement