Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get an extreme job

• 30-07-2003 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

just wondering if there are any job sites that specelise in extreme jobs, a while back someone posted a link to IT support jobs in IRAQ and then in the last few days there is one about working on an OIL rig. so there must be some where that advertises jobs that are unusal/unique/extremely dangerious for the people who are willing to risk there lives to make a quick buck.
    if the whole collage thing doesnt work out for me i dont want to say in 10years time that i work in a call center/factory/retail ect i want a more chanlageing job not your run of the mill job

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

....Theres a very good reason you don't meet very many people who have been working for 10yrs in an extreme job!....

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

i wouldnt do it for long just for a while have the crack get loads of money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I heard that Deep sea fishing off newfoundland is one of the most dangerous jobs you can do. Lots of money but I doubt they'd be much crack. That was a few years back dunno if its still being done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

you can try drug running, pimping, gun running, dictatorship, shark wrestling and alligator dentistry.

but i do believe that office jobs are safer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

When they say extreme jobs, however EXTREME or dangerous, they dont just hire any diopey ould muppet. A lot of them jobs are skilled jobs or hard work.

There not gonna hire a scrawny little ****e to work along-side other good workers deep sea fishing or wotever.

• Advertisement

who says i am a scrawny little fu**er ? to be a labour on an oil rig doesnt require a qualification [just some experience] most jobs dont require a qualification in that area to work in it , i know loads of people who are quilified in one think and are doing the opposite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

You can make 50 grand in two months fishing off newfoundland like Ricardo said.
    You'd be working an 18 hour day everyday, starting at 6 and finishing at 12. As far as I know it's in January and February so you'd be in conditions that would make most hardened seamen weep ( can you say 60 foot swells? ) They also expect that around 10% of the people that start this kind of work don't actually finish, not because they quit but because they die.
    But it'd be an option if you had a debt to pay to some not very nice people. :)

rander it's not skilled work so anyone who's willing would get the job. I know a guy thats worked on the oil rig off kinsale, he did that as a summer job during college. They need monkeys everywhere.

As for other extreme jobs, what about skyscraper window cleaning, painting the golden gate bridge, pro skidiver, jackass/dirty sanchez lunatic.

i dont think i would be able to do the golden gate bridge or the deep sea fishing but u never know. never say never

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Originally posted by Enygma

rander it's not skilled work so anyone who's willing would get the job. I know a guy thats worked on the oil rig off kinsale, he did that as a summer job during college. They need monkeys everywhere.

Where did he appl,y for that job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

His old man's an engineer out there. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

One of the Oil Rig companies off Kinsale is called Ramco :)

Advertisement