Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Response from Esat

• 30-07-2003 4:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

So there was alot of activity today, first of all i got a call back from Netsource. I wanted to investigate their product as i liked the idea of no cap limit.

Esat technical support called me back and spoke with someone about the problems, again they said that it was due to a backhaul of data and issue's with Eircom.

My central point to him though was to explain and ask if Esat would buy more bandwidth at the Roches Street DSL exchange to allot customers more room for manouver.

He said that the DSL lines were 2MB lines shared at a contention ratio of 48.1 with max downloads of 512K...so i suggested they increase the bandwidth available on each DSL line.

He even typed the email while i was on the phone to the project manager in regards this, hopefully something will come of it.

Then i got a reply to my email to Esat technical,

"Thank you for contacting Esat BT Customer Care and for bringing your
    concerns to our attention.

I have investigated your complaint with our Sales Department who
    have confirmed they would have said you can have the IOL Broadband service
    on your phone line, but they would not have said you would not have to share
    the 512 connection.

Eircom have correct the fault which caused the poor download speeds
    and you should now see an improvement in the service.

I apologise for any confusion this issue may have caused."

Sheesh...well somebody told me i'd have my own DSL line, as stated in my email i felt that the Esat staff person whom i spoke to on that day was not properly versed in the product.

But i am happy enough for now and yes...the service has improved today and yesterday.

I will give it time and see how it goes.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

you DO have your own dsl line...at least till it reaches the exchange.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    you DO have your own dsl line...at least till it reaches the exchange.

I know that now, but as i've tried to explain...i asked if i would share the DSL with anyone, what i was thinking was that it would not be shared or contention based...that's what i assumed.

Obviously a communication problem on both parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Why are you even bothering 'investigating' netsource? It's not like you can join them for...oh...another 11 months!
    IOL upgraded their bandwidth yesterday, the problem has been solved, and you my friend, agreed to a 12 month contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Ethos and B-k-dzr are right as always :D

you signed up for 12 months .......And you really have no reasion to complane now richard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Originally posted by bizmark

you signed up for 12 months .......And you really have no reasion to complane now richard

As far as I know, Irish consumer law states that if your not happy with a pruduct, you can return it within 30 days.

In fact, I don't think you even need a reason to return a product.

I'm thinking the same thing, i.e. going with netsource. I'm getting a bit pi$$ed off with Esat. I waited monthis for the Broadband, and the service hasn't been the may west so far. Having wicked trouble configuring my router aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

that may be the case......but the difference here is the presence of a signed contract!!! When was the last time you signed a contract with your local Tesco or SuperQuinn for a carton of Milk?? With a contract both parties are bound for the duration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

usually you can opt out of those contracts after 6 months, i know i did. (though not with esat)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by SachaJ
    As far as I know, Irish consumer law states that if your not happy with a pruduct, you can return it within 30 days.

Aye, and how long have you had your dsl for? Also, the problem has now been fixed and I don't see what you now have to complain about...

In fact, I don't think you even need a reason to return a product.

Yes you do, you can only return it if it's not fit for purchase it was sold for/not of merchantable quality. Yes, that was the case for the first few weeks but Esat *have* now fixed the problem, so again, you have nothing to complain and therefore no reason to demand a cessation of contract..

Having wicked trouble configuring my router aswell.

And this is Esat's fault...how?

Originally posted by eth0_
    Why are you even bothering 'investigating' netsource? It's not like you can join them for...oh...another 11 months!
    IOL upgraded their bandwidth yesterday, the problem has been solved, and you my friend, agreed to a 12 month contract.

Why not?...i can research other products if i want.

Originally posted by bizmark

No i don't as it is working fine now, but you gotta complain to them for things to get done.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by eth0_

Esat said they would consider my case should i choose to cancel my contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

Really? They said basically they will let you leave i.e. consider. Is that due to the problems you had or are you still having or just leave for the sake of it?

Just curious...:)

Originally posted by UbahOne
    Really? They said basically they will let you leave i.e. consider. Is that due to the problems you had or are you still having or just leave for the sake of it?

Just curious...:)

I have a right to complain as my complaint, at the time, was more then justified. They appear to have fixed the problem...in terms of the DSL itself.

And part of my bitching was about Esat staff and how you never get a straight answer, and how they cause confusion themselves...and no wonder customers are getting annoyed.

Thus i hope that Esat themselves sort their act out and start doing some straight talking.

p.s. yes...they said they would consider things on a case by case basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

interesting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

You'll have to pay the installation charge again if you switch ISP

aye and 115 or so euros a month thats pritty costly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

It may work out cheaper just to move to an NTL area :)

You may not even be able to get the business package though, your line can pass for RADSL but then fail for ADSL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

also need to be on one of the 40 enabled exchanges if you want Esat DSL...else netsource do business dsl outta the ones eircom have enabled i think.

Im not sure if its worth the 115 euro ........I mean it nice and all to have a lower rato 256 up and uncapped but for 3 time,s more than radsl....................hmmmm not to sure

Advertisement