Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

an abortion referendum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I am not and have never been Pro abortion. Have I stated that Abortion is a GOOD thing and sure Everyone woman should have one just for the thrill ride and never bother with contraception?

No.

If I could change the world tomorrow so that there was no need for abortion I would.

life is not all black and white and sometimes having a termination can be for some people the lesser of two evils.

I am a realist.

No one is pro abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by TomF
    This is very encouraging to me because there seem to be 13 pro-abortion posters, and as 13 is an unlucky number, it is of course intuitively obvious to the casual bystander that the pro-abortion side is going to lose, ultimately.
    Makes perfect rational sense.

Incidentally (given that I'm in a nit-picking mood this morning), the "pro-abortion" side is generally called "pro-choice" for a very good reason. It's not to soften the blow for PR reasons and to pretend an abortion is something other than what it is (pulling a foetus (or an unborn baby with a soul) from the womb of a mother) - it's because proponents of providing it are willing to give people the choice - not to make it compulsory. If it's too subtle a distinction, call it what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Atheism isn't a religion, it's a belief, since there's no such thing as organised atheist rallies, or churches or seminars, or anything.

They say that about Christianity or is it more it isn't a religion, its a faith?

Anyway even if you don't beleive in a god of any kind, it doesn't mean you don't have humanity or morals. I am sure their are many atheists that don't beleive in abortion either just as there are many others that have some type of beleif that agree with abortion.

I think you have to be ojective on this subject and not bring in faith, belief or what ever you have, to it.

I am sure atheists don't beleive that this is just for them, what ever this is? (You may call this, life if you wish)

Kind of off the topic I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

Bernard Nathanson is, if he is still living, a former abortionist in the U.S. who claims to have performed more than 50,000 "procedures". He began to doubt the wisdom of all this, and at a conference of supporters of safe and legal abortion, he was giving a talk, and made the point that abortion-rights organisations would do well to direct a good part of their funding towards the development of a practical artificial womb so that these fetuses which were now being aborted could be brought to term.

He described the reaction vividly in words like these: " At this, my audience's brows had more furrows than a freshly-plowed Iowa cornfield." His interpretation was that the members of the audience were interested in fetuses to the extent of making sure that there were no fetal survivors of their "procedures", not to help them continue living even if it was outside an unwilling mother's womb.

People are kidding themselves if they say they are not pro-abortion when they support legalising abortion. The whole intent of the abortion movement is dead fetuses, and if it were not, the organisations who now encourage governments to legalise, nay fund abortions, would be working hard to develop some kind of artificial womb to keep these aborted babies alive until they can survive in the outside world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I would just like to point out that there rationale of modern abortion isn't that you are killing a foetus.

The question of whether or not the foetus is a life doesn't really come into it. Also the question of whether or not the foetus will die as a result doesn't really come into it.

It is a question of the mothers rights to bodily privacy verse the child’s rights.

The logic is the mother has a right to remove anything that is in her body. If the child cannot survive outside of the mothers body, then that is not the responsibility of the mother.

The State cannot force a person to contain anything inside their body, even if it is for the protection of another life. It is a breach of their right to bodily privacy.

Just as it is not permitted to forcibly remove your left lung to save another persons life, it is not permitted to force a woman to hold a foetus in her womb, even if it is to save its life.

This is also where the Choice bit comes from in Pro-Choice. You are not choosing to kill a foetus (which a lot of people seem to think it means). You are choosing to allow the life of the child access you your body, something that the state cannot force you to do.

• Advertisement

His interpretation was that the members of the audience were interested in fetuses to the extent of making sure that there were no fetal survivors of their "procedures", not to help them continue living even if it was outside an unwilling mother's womb.

I think applying the interpretation of the views of a room full of people, to the entire Pro-Choice group around the world, a little weak to say the least.

I know of no one who would not support the movement of the fetus to an artifical-womb if that were possible. Is there any Pro-Choicers on Boards who would not support the movement of a foetus to an artifical womb?

To label the entire Pro-Choice movement as being only interested in killing foetus because they aren't all working an artifical wombs is silly.

It is like saying AIDS activits who are in the field helping dieing people, instead of in a lab working on a curse, are not really interested in stopping AIDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Elmo
    They say that about Christianity or is it more it isn't a religion, its a faith?
    Christianity is usually a blanket term for all religions that follow the teachings of Jesus. While it's not a religion per se, the fact that almost everynoe who is Christian is involved in an organised movement (be it Protestant, Catholic, etc), technically makes it a religion, IMO.
    Anyway even if you don't beleive in a god of any kind, it doesn't mean you don't have humanity or morals. I am sure their are many atheists that don't beleive in abortion either just as there are many others that have some type of beleif that agree with abortion.
    Absolutely. But TomF's point was that everyone was coming from some religious viewpoint. THe fact that the number 13 has for him a significant bearing on this discussion, causes me to disregard his comments now, unfortunately.

(And for the record, if I had to choose a lucky number, it would be 13 :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

My wife is a nurse and trained as a midwife and has much experience of doctors, nurses, hospitals and all that kind of thing. She had a job for a time in a U.S. hospital and it was one which did abortions. She wrote a letter of conscience to the hospital administrator which said she would not assist in preparing patients for abortions, bringing them to the place where the abortion would be performed (committed?) or assist in abortions. She of course would care for the aborted mother afterwards on the ward to control pain and keep her comfortable (my wife is a perfect mother and nurse: she nutures life and helps the sick. She is a good example of the fabled Irish nurse who was once so well-regarded in England and other places abroad).

After she wrote the letter, she was working somewhere in the hospital and one of the nursing aides came in and blurted out that she disagreed with what she had done in writing the letter. Not long after the head nurse called my wife into her office, told her to close the door and proceeded to read her the riot act. No nurse, not even the many Catholic nurses who had gone through her department, had ever dared to write such a letter. Who did she think she was to do such a thing? My wife answered that those other Catholic nurses had to live with their consciences, she had her own conscience to live with and she had done what she thought was right and was going to stand by it. That was the end of the discussion.

One of the doctors at the hospital was a man named Maggott (phonetically spelled), and he was well-named, according to my wife. She said not only was he physically repulsive, but he "wiped the floor" with the medical students in the delivery room as he worked, abusing them with shouted violent verbal assaults. Upstairs he delivered babies, downstairs he aborted babies.

Posters on this board talk about women having a right to abort their baby, but it is not only the woman and the baby who are involved in the abortion: it is the doctor and the nurse the institutions who must do the work of active killing.

The practise of abortion doesn't only destroy the baby, it also serves to corrupt what up until now has been a healing profession and therefore abortion serves to corrupt us all.

The practise of abortion doesn't only destroy the baby, it also serves to corrupt what up until now has been a healing profession and therefore abortion serves to corrupt us all.

I am pretty certain there were hostile doctors, rude nurses and crappy hospital adminstrations before abortions.

Are you saying that if this hospital did not perform abortions Dr. Margot would look like Brad Pitt and give his interns a big hung each morning?

If you are going to make a point for Pro-Life (and there are plenty of good ones) please make one that doesn't involve slandering the whole Pro-Choice movement based on a hand-full of bad apples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Posting for the pro-life side:
    Boston, dennis_o_leary, Dun_do_bheal, Elmo, JustHalf, Kev, Man, Paddy20, PeterODonnell, The Corinthian, TomF, and Typedef.
    Actually, I’ve already stated for the record that I’m fairly ambivalent about the issue. On balance the discussion itself is of more interest to me than anyone’s theoretical life.
    This is very encouraging to me because there seem to be 13 pro-abortion posters, and as 13 is an unlucky number, it is of course intuitively obvious to the casual bystander that the pro-abortion side is going to lose, ultimately.
    I shall give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you’re making an attempt at ironic humour.
    Maybe someone already noted this, but I think it is important that we all realize that posts claiming a basis in "atheistic" or "no religion" points-of-view are actually posts based on religious points-of-view.
    Please state your argument why this is the case. Otherwise you’re just jumping to conclusions.
    Actually, the medical profession is not and never has been the picture of moral rectitude that you seep to be painting it as. It’s composed of a self-regulating professional body that was historically more interested in maintaining its monopoly in Society (look at all the midwives that were burned as witches, for example) than some notion of a Hippocratic oath.

Regardless or your romanization of medicine, I really don’t see any reason behind your argument - It appears to boil down to some kind of “performing abortions makes you a rude person”. Please make some sense. It would help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Originally posted by ella minnow pea
    woah v suprised by the out come of this poll!
    would like to see one with just us wimen voting in it though.
    That's ridiculous. It can only be a "woman's issue" if the child is not a human being, and if this has already been proven, why shouldn't a women be permitted to have an abortion?

This is the issue of contention.

I see no fundamental difference between a child in the womb and a child outside. Every decision made to create one has been arbitary, and if applied to the human race in general (and not just the foetus in the womb) have horrific implications.

Sidestepping the issue of being permitted to kill those brain-damaged in a certain way by saying there is no way to revoke the legal status of humanhood once gained in now way deals with the actual status.

If you adhere so closely to the law as your source of definitions, then we can end this argument now. The law of this country grants the status of "human" at the point of conception.

If don't agree with this, then don't try to use the law to prove your case.

Perhaps I should explain myself further. Sparks, you claimed this:
    I wanted to forestall the "what about a person in a coma on life-support" argument. The point was that once legal standing as a person is granted, it can't be revoked under any legal system I've ever heard of.

Now as a child is granted legal standing as a person from the moment of conception, abortion (in the eyes of the law) constitutes murder.

Now, I'm sure everyone would find it dumb to argue we should be allowed to murder certain types of people and not others. So, to get around that, you'd need to make sure the act you want to legalise doesn't legally constitute murder. And the only way to do this is to make sure that the people concerned aren't legally considered people.

In other words, for those in the womb and before your arbitrary cut-off point, you'd have to revoke someone's legal standing as a person.

Originally posted by JustHalf
    Now as a child is granted legal standing as a person from the moment of conception, abortion (in the eyes of the law) constitutes murder.

No it doesn't (does anyone ever actually read my posts ... sigh ..)

The "life" of the child is imiterial to the modern laws of abortion (actually I think they assume the child is a live)

It is a question of does the state have to right to force a person to use their body to keep someone else alive.

The child is not killed by the abortion proceedure, he dies cause he is removed from the mother.

It is a question of bodily privacy - Can you (should you) force a person to use their body to sustain the life of another.

BTW I am totally on the fence at the moment, so don't come screaming to me if you don't agree, there is some stuff about the above I don't agree with.

In fairness to old Sparkie, he never assumed that a child should be granted legal standing as a person from the moment of conception. He has fairly consistently argued that a foetus should not be considered human until it satisfies certain criteria that would satisfy a definition of sentience or biological distinctiveness.

Hence he is not revoking anyone's legal standing as a person as he never gave it to begin with.

Originally posted by Wicknight
    It is a question of does the state have to right to force a person to use their body to keep someone else alive.
    Actually there are two issues there; firstly is a parent responsible for the welfare of one’s offspring and the second is whether the right of an individual’s ‘bodily privacy’, as you call it, supersedes the right of another individual’s life – as people we all have equal rights, but that does not also imply that all our rights are equal. It is an insanity to argue that one man’s right to pursue financial happiness would be equal to another’s right to live, for example.

Assuming, of course, that we’re discussing another individual here.
    The child is not killed by the abortion proceedure, he dies cause he is removed from the mother.
    AFAIK, in many abortions the foetus is dismembered to facilitate it’s removal from the womb. Death occurs as a result of this procedure.

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    In fairness to old Sparkie, he never assumed that a child should be granted legal standing as a person from the moment of conception. He has fairly consistently argued that a foetus should not be considered human until it satisfies certain criteria that would satisfy a definition of sentience or biological distinctiveness.

Hence he is not revoking anyone's legal standing as a person as he never gave it to begin with.
    I didn't say he assumed a child should be granted legal standing as a person. But it's a part of the law, just like being unable to revoke someone's status as a person.

Sparks used the law to get himself out of a fix, but this resulted in a fairly large contradiction of logic.

I don't understand the relevance of the last point. The law is not defined by the opinion of Sparks.

Sparks used the law to get himself out of a fix, but this resulted in a fairly large contradiction of logic.
    I may have missed it, but I don't see where he did that.

I would have thought that he was postulating what the law should be, in his opinion - which is the point of this discussion.

Originally posted by Wicknight
    The "life" of the child is imiterial to the modern laws of abortion (actually I think they assume the child is a live)
    I think I agree with what you're getting at; that the law does not necessarily reflect the reality.

Just because something is legal doesn't mean it should be done, and just because something is illegal doesn't mean it should not be done.

Which is why I had a problem with Sparks using the law to answer a purely moral question.

I may have missed it, but I don't see where he did that.

I would have thought that he was postulating what the law should be, in his opinion - which is the point of this discussion.
    The whole point of this debate is what the law should be.

You presented him with a dilemma; that if we say that without a certain part of your brain you are not a person, then what about those who are brain-damaged in a certain way? Are these also not a person?

Simple yes or no question. Yet the reply was that there is nothing currently on the books to revoke the personhood of someone already granted it. This doesn't answer the question at all.

Furthermore, you have the problem that allowing abortions that would be classed as murder (which are the only type of abortions most people support) would require revoking the legal status of personhood to obvious people.

It seems odd for a man to use a stick to lean on while arguing quite vocally that the stick shouldn't be there.

The whole point of this debate is what the law should be.
    Err... that’s what I said...
    You presented him with a dilemma; that if we say that without a certain part of your brain you are not a person, then what about those who are brain-damaged in a certain way? Are these also not a person?
    One may argue that in the case of a foetus there has been no revocation of rights, as the foetus would not have been recognised as an individual in the first place. Of course, that brings us back to the original dilemma of whether a foetus is human or not, but if not then it should never be given rights in the first place.

Of course another argument that would support the revocation of such rights would be one that places value upon various members of Society. There, the mother - a known entity of known status - would naturally supersede a foetus - an unknown entity of dubious status. This of course is not humane in a classical sense of the word, but is certainly a more practical and logical solution to the dilemma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

JustHalf,
    I never argued that the conferral of the legal status of person should take place at conception. And several legal systems agree with that.
    Further, you're going off down the route of using language like "murder" again. Which assumes that a foetus is a person. (BTW, I see no dichotomy in being a member of homo sapiens but not being a person. Neonatal infants, for example, are members of our species, but we don't consider them people in that we don't confer full responsibility for their actions on them for 16 years, we don't expect them to know how to speak, to remember things, or even to control their bodily functions.)

And if all this seems terribly complicated compared to your "egg meets sperm and wham! a person is created" solution, I'll just point out that occam's razor doesn't apply to social or moral problems under most circumstances. In fact, I can think of very, very few social problems that are black-and-white and simple to express. Most are terribly gray and complicated.
    Which to me says my solution is more accurate than yours. Your solution, to me, seems like a first-order approximation - a decent rule of thumb, sure, but you wouldn't want to risk much based on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Err... that’s what I said...

One may argue that in the case of a foetus there has been no revocation of rights, as the foetus would not have been recognised as an individual in the first place. Of course, that brings us back to the original dilemma of whether a foetus is human or not, but if not then it should never be given rights in the first place.

Of course another argument that would support the revocation of such rights would be one that places value upon various members of Society. There, the mother - a known entity of known status - would naturally supersede a foetus - an unknown entity of dubious status. This of course is not humane in a classical sense of the word, but is certainly a more practical and logical solution to the dilemma.

Sure its more practical, but the logical conclusions reachable from such a policy would again prove devestating. Such a law automatically presupposes that the foetus is a life, but decides that it is a "lesser life" in terms of priority when a crunch arises along the lines of "someone more important than it thinks it should be dead". You look at this purely in view of abortion, but unless you specify that this "untermensch" category is purely applicable to the unborn, then you are opening a whole can of worms.

So once again, you end up with the inevitable conclusion that all the laws will be based on whether or not you consider a foetus to be a life, and whether or not you consider it to be a human life.

If it is considered human, then any justification as to why human rights should not apply is immediately on ground that is effectively a statement that human rights are not really human rights (but rather privileges for some[/i]).

If it is not human, then you get the freedom to define the laws any way you see fit with no complaint....all you have to do is come to an agreement with those who have a different stance to you as to when humanity occurs.....which will lead to yet another circling around the same base arguments.

jc

Originally posted by Sparks
    JustHalf,
    I never argued that the conferral of the legal status of person should take place at conception. And several legal systems agree with that.
    I'm talking about Irish law. What the law says shouldn't form the basis of a purely moral decision (and quoting laws isn't a gentlemanly way out of answering a question about ethics).
    Further, you're going off down the route of using language like "murder" again. Which assumes that a foetus is a person.
    I think we all agree that if a foetus is a person then elective abortion constitutes murder.

The points I've been making have all been similarly conditional. If you won't accept the statement in italics, then there's no point in arguing with you.
    (BTW, I see no dichotomy in being a member of homo sapiens but not being a person. Neonatal infants, for example, are members of our species, but we don't consider them people in that we don't confer full responsibility for their actions on them for 16 years, we don't expect them to know how to speak, to remember things, or even to control their bodily functions.)
    I think most people would disagree with you there, and would say that "eh, yeah, children are people".

If you remove your first list item ("confer full responsibility...") the exact same argument could be used to say that severely disabled human beings are not people.

Sure, they're of the same species, but we don't expect them to know how to speak, to remember things, or even to control their bodily functions.

You get my point?
    And if all this seems terribly complicated compared to your "egg meets sperm and wham! a person is created" solution, I'll just point out that occam's razor doesn't apply to social or moral problems under most circumstances.
    Yeah, Occam's razor is used far too much as a "formal proof". Too often I've heard my answer is right because it's simplest.

By the way, I'm only stating the legal position (as I understand it). I was quite clear that I was talking about the laws of this country, not about what really happens, which should be pretty obvious.

I'm in the "I don't know exactly, but it's better to play it safe" boat. My gut tells me conception, but this is hardly a basis for a decision.
    In fact, I can think of very, very few social problems that are black-and-white and simple to express. Most are terribly gray and complicated.
    Which to me says my solution is more accurate than yours. Your solution, to me, seems like a first-order approximation - a decent rule of thumb, sure, but you wouldn't want to risk much based on it.
    I presume you'd pick the second one in this list then, because it's more grey? :)

* Eating ebola bad
    * Eating ebola is good sometimes, bad other times

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Yeah, Occam's razor is used far too much as a "formal proof". Too often I've heard "my answer is right because it's simplest"
    Hit them over the head when they say that.

Occam's Razor is Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate, which translates as "plurality should not be posited without necessity" It's often expressed as entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem ("entities must not be multiplied beyond what is necessary") but this was written by other people. It has never meant simply that the best solution is the simplest but rather that the best solution is most likely to be the simplest solution that accounts for all the facts and hence is the easiest to work with. It's about not making explanations any more complicated than they mean to be - the principle of parsimony. It's a heuristic method for crying out loud, not a proof.

sceptre,
    Quite right, and thanks for that. :)

JustHalf,
    I'm talking about Irish law. What the law says shouldn't form the basis of a purely moral decision (and quoting laws isn't a gentlemanly way out of answering a question about ethics).
    Gentlemanly is an odd term to be using here, no?
    And the problem of making a decision on this based on moral or ethical grounds is that those grounds are different for everyone. For example, for me it's perfectly ethical to abort a fetus that can't survive in an incubator, and it's immoral to condemn someone for doing so. Paddy20 on the other hand, seems to fall into the camp of those whose ethics allow them to happily stand on O'Connell Street with placards and posters of aborted foetuses condemning anyone that undergoes an abortion, assists in one, provides support to someone that undergoes one, refuses to condemn the practise or even thinks about it.
    That said, I wasn't actually using the argument that "it's okay 'cos the law says so". Legality is a somewhat ancillary point to the "right thing to do" in most countries, but especially in this one.
    I think we all agree that if a foetus is a person then elective abortion constitutes murder.
    I can wholeheartedly support this principle.
    Thing is, I don't believe that a foetus is a person.
    I think most people would disagree with you there, and would say that "eh, yeah, children are people".
    Then why do we have legal concepts in just about every western country like minors, the age of consent, and age ratings in censorship and other such measures?
    Because while we look at a child and our genes say "that's not food", we equally recognise that the child is not yet a full person in it's own right.
    Hell, even the concept of adulthood is based on that recognition.
    If you remove your first list item ("confer full responsibility...") the exact same argument could be used to say that severely disabled human beings are not people.
    Indeed, but I left that phrase in the first place on the list for a reason. And that list isn't even complete.
    I presume you'd pick the second one in this list then, because it's more grey?

* Eating ebola bad
    * Eating ebola is good sometimes, bad other times

Yes actually, I do. Two scenarios spring to mind -
    1) Self-administered euthanasia
    2) ingesting contaminated material to effect an emergency version of quarintine, in a similar fashion to the american tradition of throwing yourself on a grenade to save more lives. (frankly, I've always thought a beefier helmet would be a better solution myself, but who listens to me?)

And that's after precisely four seconds of thought. I would imagine I could increase the list a lot further if necessary.

See my point?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Then why do we have legal concepts in just about every western country like minors, the age of consent, and age ratings in censorship and other such measures?

Because our laws distinguish between adults, minors, and children.

However, when it does so, it is in terms of laws and/or societal requirements which are only applicable to these sub-categories.

Thus, just because a 10-year-old isn't legally allowed to drive a car, doesn't mean he/she is not a human / a person, no more than it does for the blind 35-year old.

On the other hand, when we start dealing with any law which is based on a human right, then our laws should either transcend these sub-categories, or the right should be enshrined seperately in each sub-category.

The right to life is based on an acceptance of a human right, and as such should be treated as sacrosanctly as possible. Yes - there are medical cases which can lead to a requirement that a person be involuntarily permitted to die (read "to be murdered" if it makes you feel better), but the aim is to reduce these situations to where they are unavoidable. By and large, though, these situations fall into a category where a cessation of care will cause death anyway, and where no improvement is forseeable through the continuation of care.

In terms of the unborn.....if you don't consider it a human life, then I would strongly suggest that you consider when it becomes one. If you can't draw that line clearly, then the obligation should be there upon us to draw it no later than at the latest point where we are certain it is not a human life.

No law can be perfect. There will always be cases where we can argue that exceptions can be made, and I'm sure that any non-totalitarian solution would involve such exceptions. Again, though, I would feel that the onus is to make the restrictions as tight as possible, and as closed to abuse as possible.

jc

“I never used the law in my argument, and the law would agree with me on that one” - Haha, classic :D
    Neonatal infants, for example, are members of our species, but we don't consider them people in that we don't confer full responsibility for their actions on them for 16 years, we don't expect them to know how to speak, to remember things, or even to control their bodily functions.)
    They’re considered people though, so I don’t really see the point in your analogy.
    I'll just point out that occam's razor doesn't apply to social or moral problems under most circumstances. In fact, I can think of very, very few social problems that are black-and-white and simple to express. Most are terribly gray and complicated.
    It depends on how you define your morality. Yours appears based on utilitarianism. You weigh up the pros and cons of one option over another. From a humanistic viewpoint it does tend to be rather black and white, in that human life supersedes all other rights to the point that one would rather assume that someone or thing is human rather than take the risk that one would commit murder.
    Originally posted by bonkey
    Sure its more practical, but the logical conclusions reachable from such a policy would again prove devestating. Such a law automatically presupposes that the foetus is a life, but decides that it is a "lesser life" in terms of priority when a crunch arises along the lines of "someone more important than it thinks it should be dead". You look at this purely in view of abortion, but unless you specify that this "untermensch" category is purely applicable to the unborn, then you are opening a whole can of worms.
    Given a humanist philosophy of morality, such a value system is abhorrent. Otherwise it is perfectly reasonable as long as it is practiced rationally, such as the basis for the various eugenics programs that have been practiced in countries, such as Sweden, in the past.

To say that it opens up a whole can of worms is a rather sweeping assumption. Certainly there would be evidence for this, but there’s ample evidence for any moral code resulting in a can of worms being opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

I think that it's a tragedy if an abortion takes place. I find it disturbing that a large number of irish women have abortions every year. The solution to this as far as I can see seems to be another referendum.

I think we're going around in circles here. We seem to thrash it back and forth without much consideration for the reality and feelings of people effected. If abortion were voted in tomorrow then there would still be a huge lobby to force another referendum.]
    I think that Irish women would still go to English clinics instead of Irish ones for fear of being recognised.
    We are stuck in a loop that no-one is gaining from.
    I think therefore that a referendum is a waste of time.
    I think we would be more effective in putting all this energy into determining why they take place and the aftermath of having them.
    I think we should put our efforts into making abortion an option of last resort rather than of convenience.
    By saying that I think we should remove the obstacles to having a child i.e. eradicating the stigma, minimising the effect on the career of the woman etc.

“I never used the law in my argument, and the law would agree with me on that one” - Haha, classic :D
    Not what I said TC, as is obvious from the quote you put up.
    :mad:
    They’re considered people though, so I don’t really see the point in your analogy.
    Which is something JC said too - but you both missed the point.
    We have adults, minors, and children, as well as a few other forms of subdivision, enshrined as fundamental classifications of person in law.
    Which implies that we think of person as being something other than a single homogenous group. It's not a binary thing in other words, it doesn't apply instantly to an entity (other than a legal construct like a company).
    Which in turn means that you can't say a foetus is a person, because not only do you not have a solid definition of what a person even is, you've no idea of what class of person you want to call it.
    It depends on how you define your morality. Yours appears based on utilitarianism. You weigh up the pros and cons of one option over another. From a humanistic viewpoint it does tend to be rather black and white, in that human life supersedes all other rights to the point that one would rather assume that someone or thing is human rather than take the risk that one would commit murder.
    Again TC, you're abusing the term humanism. And probably the term utilitarianism too.
    EVERY moral choice is made by weighing pros and cons, nothing in moral terms is ever black and white outside of a textbook.
    And your calling it a utilitarianist set of ethics is ignoring completely the damage done to the mother by forcing an unwanted pregnancy on her, which is not a medically risk-free procedure, even if she resigns herself to it, which she shouldn't have to.
    JC talks of human rights, but what he should say is really person's rights, since human generally means "a member of the species homo sapiens", but that's a bit misleading in this specific discussion.
    And what you're doing TC, is saying that weighing the humanistic interests of the mother and the foetus is a utilitarian choice - which pretty much ignores the fact that the mother's rights are clearly established but the foetus' aren't - and you're giving unestablished rights priority over established ones by ruling abortion unethical.

If you could prove the foetus is a person, it'd be different; But you cannot, and in the last hundred years or more, noone else in the entire human race has been able to either.
    All that has been proven is that neonates don't exhibit self-awareness. And that does not support the theory that the foetus is a person.

JC,
    In terms of the unborn.....if you don't consider it a human life, then I would strongly suggest that you consider when it becomes one. If you can't draw that line clearly, then the obligation should be there upon us to draw it no later than at the latest point where we are certain it is not a human life.
    Why?
    Who says that the right to life has to be tied to self-awareness instead of self-sustainability?
    I'm arguing (and have been consistently), that the foetus shouldn't have any legal rights until it is capable of existing outside the womb - after that, it ought to be given the right to life. But that doesn't require it to be a person. After all, a child is a person, but we don't demand income tax from it, do we? And we rule it an offence to torture animals and demand they be treated ethicly, but we don't recognise them as people, do we?

The two issues (the right to life and the legal (and moral) status of person) are seperate ones and need have no connection.

• Advertisement

A lot of this discussion is focusing on the human status of the child as if it is a give that if the fetus is a person then the pregancy cannot be aborted.

Say that the fetus is a "human life" from the moment of conception, and has the same human rights as anyone else.

Say also that the mother is a "human life" and has the same rights as the fetus (as well as everyone else).

In effect they have the same equal human rights.

2 Questions -

A - Mothers Rights:
    Does the woman have the right to refuse to continue the pregancy, even thought this will result in the death of the child?
    Or does the woman have a moral, legal etc responsibility to continue using her body so that the child will survive until birth?

B - Childs Rights:
    Does the child, being a human being, have to right to sustain it's own life at the suffering of the mother?
    Or does the child have no right to use the mothers body, and can only continue to do so if the mother is willing?

Now some will probably find these questions a bit silly, but I am actually very interested in view points on this, cause to be totally honest I don't know which position I take on this subject.

Advertisement