Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opinions on CCNA/CCNP

• 30-07-2003 7:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

As the subject says, I'm looking for peoples opinions on the CCNA and/or CCNP qualification.

At the moment I'm working in I.T. support, I dont have a degree, my diploma isnt worth writing home about so basically I was hired for the IT support job through word of mouth. Now I'm getting to the stage that I should start thinking of doing something other than the routine and I'm thinking of doing the CCNA course.

So my question is... If I do this course will it make me any more employable or am I really just kidding myself? If I spend €2k doing the course will I be in the same position I'm in now, only two grand poorer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭mambo50

Hi,
    I'm in a similar position to yourself. I'm working as at IT Support/ Sys Admin (Small company) and have a degree in Electronic Eng.
    I'm studying for a CCNA myself at the moment using Sybex self study book. There's definately no need to pay 2K for a course (unless you can get your employeer to pay :)). I know 2 people who have passed the exam studying from the book. You do need to have a decent understanding of TCP/IP - networking fundementals though.
    If you can combine the CCNA with other certifications + experience then it will definately improve your position in the job market.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Rymus,

Im in exactly the same position as you, no degree, no college qualification of any kind.. working as a network admin, but im in a job I like in a small company that hopefully will be going places soon.

I was thinkin along the lines of doing the MCSE first and yes I l know every Tom, Dick and Harry has it, but unless you have that or a degree, should I have to go looking for a job in the next year or two, I wont even get a look in without something like that..

The CCNA/CCNP would be a definite yes to have on your CV as far as im concerned. Cisco set the standard as far as networking is concerned and with bigger IT companies, resellers and data centres, most have to have CCNA/CCNP qualified and certified staff, to get the business they are in or to look after their equipment.

Id say do as mambo50 has said, you're in no rush to get that elusive piece of paper, so do it at your own pace from books and the such as paying €2k for a course is madness. Most of the time they are so rushed that you learn feck all anyway....

It will end up costing you a fraction of what a course would and you will probably learn a hell of a lot more than any course can teach you..

Best of luck,

Tox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

better to have than not have.

if youa re looking for some useful information on ccna, i suggest you look at the boson training tests and the virtual networker.

nice little app that allows you tot test your knowledge without actually breaking your network :)

oh, it needs to be registered and purchased, but i believe there are some cowardly dastardly chaps out there who have provided license codes so you dont have to.
    but i dont condone that behaviour, so please dont ask me about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    but i dont condone that behaviour, so please dont ask me about it.

Would I do such a thing? Everyone knows WWMan is as innocent as the day is long.. ;)

Thanks for the info everybody, methinks I'll keep my 2 grand to buy magic beans with and hit the book shops over the weekend.

I was thinking the same as you Tox, either a CCNP, MCSE or both if at all possible. Makes up in some kinda way for not having that degree.

Advertisement