Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O2 GPRS with the Ipaq with Nokia D211 card

• 30-07-2003 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, I'd be really grateful if someone could help me getting online through GPRS.

I'm using a Compaq Ipaq PocketPC running WinCE 3.0. I've got a Nokia D211 WLAN/GPRS PCMCIA card in the expansion jacket with an O2 SIM in it.

Now I can send and recieve texts using the SMS application that came with the card, but I can't seem to get online with Internet Explorer.

The closest thing I can on the O2 site to help for configuring it is here , but this assumes I'm connecting by using the infrared port to connect using a phone. I've left all the settings the same as in the O2 help webpage except I've selected the Nokia Card modem instead of the IRDA infra red modem, where that is specified.

When I pop open IE and try to connect it tells me it's trying to dial *99# then rather quickly tells me there is no answer at that number.

Can anyone please help me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I am guessing it is not pointing to an Access Point. The *99# tells the modem to initiate a GPRS session, of which it then acesses the Access Point.

I see in the instructions the access point is here:

+cgdcont=1,?IP?,?internet? (See Fig 9)

"internet" is the the APN name....

Is this correct, is there another one to try?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

I thought "internet" was a pretty strange name for the access point too, but I've no idea what else to try!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

yeah, internet is the right apn. *99# activates the apn that the phone has been configured to previously using the config command. in windows you might need to add an "at" infront of the +cgdcont ... command string.

i've got a d211 too but i've never set it up for gprs ... always used a nokia phone via infrared. let me give it a go and get back to you ...

thanks crowbar I'd really appreciate that

for some reason i connect briefly through the d211, but then it throws me straight out. mind you, i'm using a laptop with the d211 rather than an ipaq. my nokia 6310i has also stopped working, so it's probably my laptop that's broken.

just thought of something - maybe you're not provisioned for the internet apn, and that's why it's not even answering. have you checked with their customer care?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Good point, you may no be registering of a GPRS enabled cell correctly either. Get them to do a "de-reg" on you number also, may help things by refreshing you on the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by alb
    Hey folks, I'd be really grateful if someone could help me getting online through GPRS.

I'm using a Compaq Ipaq PocketPC running WinCE 3.0. I've got a Nokia D211 WLAN/GPRS PCMCIA card in the expansion jacket with an O2 SIM in it.

ensuring your O2 account has been configured for GPRS (if not you'd need to call 1740 to get it set-up) and finding out if you are a post-pay (monthly bill) / pre-pay (Speakeasy) customer...

The card needs to be "reinitialised" to swap between the radios - so you need to tell it what radio you want (WLAN/GSM/GPRS) and then when switching to one you are asked to remove and re-insert the card.

You need to create a connection in the Pocket PC OS (In the Connection Settings), and you need to specify the radio settings in the Nokia Manager (GSM type/speed and GPRS APN). Like the way it works on a PC, the Nokia Modem control panel needs to be configured and then you create a Dial-Up Networking instance that uses the modem.

So creating a new connection in the Pocket PC Connection manager using the Nokia D211 GSM Modem from the Modem, in Advanced you specify a server assigned IP and name servers: 62.40.32.33 and 62.40.32.34 and using a phone number of *99#

note in Dialing Locations make sure Area and Country code is empty and Tone dialing is selected. and in Dialing Patterns... enter only one G in each of the local / long distance / int'l dial patterns.

in the Nokia Card Manager (accessable from icon on today screen) in it's worth creating a new profile for O2, in GPRS make sure the Use GPRS conn. is checked and check Specify APN manually and enter in internet or open.internet as you require (both will allow you to browse and check mail). If you are pre-pay (Speakeasy) you'd need to use pp.internet.

Now the card needs to be "reinitialised" to swap between the radios - so you need to tell it what radio you want (WLAN/GSM/GPRS).

OK so set it to GPRS... from the Today (Home) screen tap the card's icon and Manager Window. Tap Status and then tap the Select... button. A window pops so select the O2 profile you set up and tap the GPRS item to highlight it and tap OK. You you should be asked to remove and re-insert the card.

You can initiate the GPRS connection from the Nokia Manager Window, in Status tapping Activate (as GPRS is now your initialised radio). You should then be able to use IE and mail etc. (so long as in the Pocket PC Connection Settings the default connection is the one configured with the Nokia Modem Card).

hopefully that should work out for you, i'll keep my fingers crossed - i'd configured it with a GPRS and GSM setting (for their 14.4k service) so it was slightly different to your GPRS only setting - i'll try and detail out the whole lot if the GPRS only one doesn't work out

hth,
    BrianG

Thanks BrianG, I changed the aAPN to pp.internet instead of internet as it said on the O2 page (*sigh*) . And I can now activate the connection in the nokia manager . Internet explorer however just says "the page you are looking for cannot be found" everytime I put in a url....

ALso I'v enoticed whenever I activate the gprs connection.... my internet connection settings get changed. The two DNS entroies I entered are changed back to "use server assigned addresses" and the "Use IP Header compression" box on the TCP/IP tab is unchecked... all other settings are as they were... these two get reset everytime I activate the GPRS connection though... weird.

Ah just got it working now, by leaving the connection screen with the DNS settings open all the time so it couldn't change... a hack I know, but it worked, yay I can finally get some work done

good stuff :)

only thing i can think of is the Pocket PC isn't follwing the connection you want set as default

in start > settings > connections tab > connections icon

make sure that in the "when needed, auto connect to the internet using these settings" has the connection profile selected that contains the connection you created for the Nokia Card

also make sure that inside this profile (you access the profiles connections by tapping Modify) that the one you have created for the Nokia Card is the defaul (auto if only one), otherwise you tap and hold and in the sub menu that appears you select Always Dial

you should see a line at the end saying "when dialing: use xxx" make sure that xxx is the connection you created for the Nokia card

maybe create a whole new Connection Profile
    in start > settings > connections tab > connections icon
    select New... from the drop down list

then configure one connection account for the profile (so that's it the default), just make sure in the Settings Connection main screen (with the three drop down lists for Internet connection, Work connection and Net Card connection) the new profile is default (i.e. it's name appears by default in the drop down list when the list is closed)

other than that, what iPAQ are you using - and have you ever performed a ROM update (system software and OS) - the initial PPC 2002 ROM had a crazy bug that swapped the DNS IPs around (endless fun that was to work out what was happening in the beginning!!)

hth,
    BrianG

• Advertisement

Ah this bug you speak of at the end might be the problem... lol I noticed a couple of times last night that both DNS addys had been reversed! which I thought very weird.. I'm using a 3760 that came with WinCE3.0. Have you got a quick link to this update. I'd rather not mess with the device too much as I've a few things set up just as I want them now.

ok a ROM update is pretty much like formatting your PC and installing a new OS on it - unfortunately even doing a backup on the Pocket PC can't gaurantee that it can restore you settings back to the device with the updated ROM :(

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/index.html?cat=iPAQ%20Internet%20Devices

and select your model from the list

note that a ROM update is a full image, and EUU (end user update) are patches that are appled to a ROM image

when you soft reset the ipaq there is a number that appears at the bottom right which details the ROM version. also viewable in:
    start > settings > system > asset viewer > version

when performing an update the unit has to be powered and you pretty much have to leave the PC alone - any interruption in the process can kill the unit (much like interrupting a BIOS update on a PC) - so be careful if you perform it

B

Well I got so pissed off with the DNS setting being changed every time I tried to connect, that I went and got the update and did the ROm update to 2.20 I believe it was....

So installed everything again along with the D211..... and the same thing still happens, every other setting stays the same but everytime I connect to GPRS it clears my DNS entries so I'm connected but can't view any pages. ,Once again, if I leave open the settings page with the entries while I connect it hacks it and they stay as they are and I'm ok...

Anyway weird as that is, with that hack I can get connected. Now I've just downloaded PocketIRC and tried to connect to my usual server but it won't connect... Do O2 have any ports blocked or anything???

yeah, there seem to be ports blocked on pp.internet all right. no such port blocking on the internet apn though, however it's not available to prepaid users.

dammit, that sucks. what the hell am I gonna do now... anyone know if vodaphone prepaid have ports blocked?

according to this thread vodafone don't even offer internet access for rtg users.

haven't had any luck with IRC on pp.interent, works just fine on their postpaid service though - as an aside i use PocketChat IRC on the PocketPC, it's pretty good and free :)
    http://www.sspocketchat.com/download.aspx

fyi, the built in MSN messenger works fine on prepaid and postpaid so at least there is some form of IM

on the DNS entries - the bug in the ROM swapped the DNS entries around, it didn't clear them - sounds more like the Nokia app is doing that (is there an update for that or are you using the latest version)?

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭greg_f

Nokia D211 Profiles:

Open the manager
    Hit general tab and select
    This opens up the select connection box
    i.e. easy connection
    wlan
    gsm
    GPRS
    Double click the option you want to connect to, and this connects
    Double click on D211 icon at the bottom of screen to stop card and safe removal of card.

To Check profile settings:
    Right mouse click D211 icon at bottom
    open manager window
    Hit profiles
    Hit modify
    Select the option you wish to edit
    i.e. gprs, wlan or gsm and hit Edit:

 FOR GPRS:
    Specify access point name manually: internet

To renew IP address go to settings, then wlan tab
    Click renew DHCO now

 FOR WLAN:
    Profiles
    Modify
    Select wlan and edit
    Tick use wlan connection with this profile
    Operating mode: Infrastructure
    Nothing ticked in the advanced settings

Under TCP/IP settingst tick specify DNS server address manually
    Primary 62.40.32.33
    Secondary 62.40.32.34

Tick use sim service this profile
    Tick enable advanced connection controlling
    Service provider domain: owlan.org

 FOR GSM:
    Tick use gsm connection with this profile
    Gsm connection method ISDN V 120
    GSM speed 14.4k bits
    Dial up connection should have 086 6066020, if it does n’t, then hit new connection

Internet connection wizard opens
    Tick connect using my phone line, next

Nokia D211 gsm modem next
    Untick the use area code telephone number 0866066020
    Hit advanced
    Hit addresses
    Tick Internet service provider automatically provides one
    DNS, Always use the following,
    Primary 62.40.32.33
    Secondary 62.40.32.34
    Press okay
    Press next
    Username register@o2.ie
    Password guest
    Next
    Name of connection to 0866066020
    Next
    Do you want to set up an Internet e-mail account?
    Tick no
    Next
    Finish
    You then must go to general and select and select the option you just made to dial.

With all the above options you need to make a manual connection also,

 In the gsm connection manual connection must show as
    General
    Tick Modem nokia D211 gsm modem
    Phone umber 0866066020, area code blank, country region blank, use dialing rules, untick
    Options
    Tick Display Progress while connecting
    Tick Prompt for phone number
    Tick redial if line is dropped
    Security
    Typical
    Allow unsecured password
    Networking
    The connection uses
    Un tick NW link IPX/SPX/NetBios compatible transport protocol
    Tick Internet protocol
    Tick Qos Packet scheduler
    Un tick File and printer sharing for Microsoft networks
    Un tick client for Microsoft networks
    Un tick client service for networks

Under Internet protocol
    Tick Obtain an IP address automatically
    Tick Use the following DNS
    Primary 62.40.32.33
    Secondary62.40.32.34
    Advanced
    Nothing to be ticked

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

Just wanted to say that my Nokia D211 card likes running on Windows WX Pro and that the laptop's operating system is smart enough to keep the DNS settings for the card associated with GPRS. That means my normal wired connections don't get all screwed up when I plug the laptop back into Novell.

I'm still looking for the best Net Stumbler-type application to run with the D211.

It's on my "notes to self" and I will be lurking here to snag whatever suggestions I can find.

(note to self about D211 stumbler)

Advertisement