Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xp 2600b any good for o/c'in ?

Options
  • 30-07-2003 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi guys/gals

just wondering if the XP2600B is a good overclocker as i've just ordered 1 :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

The great overclocking chips at the min would be the Xp2500+ & Xp1700+ Tbred b Dltc3.

The Xp2600+ should hit 2.4ghz with decent cooling (ie Slk800/900 & TT smart fan), if your real lucky it will hit 2.5ghz (not that lightly unless you go for water cooling or very noisey air cooling). It depends on what board your using, what PSU you have, and of coarse RAM. If you post more might be able to give you more info......

Loki

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭EyesOnly

i have the asus a7n8x deluxe
    q-tec gold 550watt psu
    and 2x256mb kingston (pc2700) ram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Originally posted by TheRealEyesOnly
    Hi guys/gals

just wondering if the XP2600B is a good overclocker as i've just ordered 1 :)

Not really. go with a 2500+ if your gona do that. the 2600+ is near a max temp/speed

Your have a good board & PSU for overclocking. You will prob have to set the ram to run at 80% of the FSB as your ram is 333Mhz (166Mhz FSB) rated.

Would recomend setting your FSB to 200Mhz , setting your ram to 80% of FSB (and up the Vdimm one notch, and tighten the timings - if you want to post your existing ones should be able to suggest ones) , lower your multiplier to 10.5 (2100Mhz).

Thats a good place to start. Then try upping your Multiplier & Vcore to get higher speeds. Common view is not to push your Vcore to over 1.8V, unless you have very good cooling or are willing to take a risk :) .

You wont have to worry about any PCI or AGP locks, which is a good thing. When you thing your system is stable run Prime95 and that will confirm it for you (or most of the time itl tell you your not stable) either higher your Vcore or back off the overclock a little.

Its just a matter of playing around with FSB * Multiplier. Reason i said 200Mhz is it will run your ram @160Mhz. If you use 166Mhz FSB then you will run outa multipliers (max 12.5 AFAIK on that board unless u unlock the higher level ones).

Another option would be to go to 170-180 FSB and see if your ram can handle it.

Loki

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭EyesOnly

ok tnx loki
    should be gettin the chip sometime next week x fingers

• Advertisement

No probs, glad to be of some help.
    Run into any probs, gimme a shout & ill do me best to sort ya out.

Loki

Advertisement