Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GPS, the worst rip off ever...

• 30-07-2003 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I recently bought a Magellan Sportrack GPS navigation device via mail order from the US for €160 including shipping. The exact same device at Maplin's electronics costs €290 + €40 for the computer cable / power cable that was included for free with my unit from the US.

Let's see... €330 from Maplin, or €160 from the US. Oh yeah, Maplin didn't even have it in stock so it was faster to order from the US.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

tbh I've never found Maplin's that competitive on anything. God help you taking stuff back too...like the spanish inquisition!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

this is nothing new. I think you will find that everything electronic is a lot cheaper in the States than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

And they wonder why ppl buy stuff over the Internet instead of shopping in Ireland, its a joke.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by de5p0i1er
    And they wonder why ppl buy stuff over the Internet instead of shopping in Ireland, its a joke.

What really pisses me off is people who get up on their high horse, giving out about people who won't buy Irish. What do they expect when we're getting ripped off so much. I will continue to buy from the internet as long as the high street continues to charge way over the odds. I'm not a charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

Originally posted by MadsL
    tbh I've never found Maplin's that competitive on anything. God help you taking stuff back too...like the spanish inquisition!

Nobody expects the spanish inqusition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

There are definitely cheaper options to Maplin even in Ireland, and would it kill them to produce a version of the catalogue with € prices!

"Not the comfy chair :eek: :eek: "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

I saw a SiteCom Wireless router in Maplin (shop), the price was 175€...
    I ordered it from the Maplin's website... 155€ (including shipping), was here in 3 days.
    I tried to find it cheaper but I couldn't. Some website in NL and DE, but you couldn't order with a Irish Visa.

So, we should still go to the shops to have a look to the product, and then order on the web. :D

Maplin in Ireland: No
    Maplin web site: Maybe!

Raphael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by raphaelS

I tried to find it cheaper but I couldn't. Some website in NL and DE, but you couldn't order with a Irish Visa.

How do you mean you couldn't order with an Irish Visa? Visa is Visa worldwide. Maybe those sites don't ship to Ireland :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

Yes they are pretty bad!

Blank DVD-R
    Maplin - 6 euro
    Marx-computers.com - 2.20

Maplin also have some old graphics cards (32mb) for about 60 euro. Have to agree with the stock thing, any time i asked them about stuff, it wasnt' in stock.

They could be good for cabling and sound equipment, but as i don't know much about it, i can't tell.

Peats are worse on price though.

I got a junction for a fibre optic cable for a sound system, from Amazon.de for about 20 euro, compared to Peats 28 plus vat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

How do you mean you couldn't order with an Irish Visa? Visa is Visa worldwide. Maybe those sites don't ship to Ireland
    Visa may be worldwide but Irish issuing banks won't authenticate the holders address to an foreign firm. So they (foreign firm) usually demand a fax of your last statement befoe shipping.

mphone.co.uk, and expansys.com do this

tribble

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Dr99

Peats are worse on price though

Peats are just worse full stop, I asked them for a Micro atx PSU, guy comes back with a normal atx PSU "It's a standard it should fit".
    Bollox it's almost bigger then my case, it's a standard alright the wrong standard!

And don't even get me started on wireless network cards! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by tribble
    Visa may be worldwide but Irish issuing banks won't authenticate the holders address to an foreign firm. So they (foreign firm) usually demand a fax of your last statement befoe shipping.

mphone.co.uk, and expansys.com do this

tribble

Jeez never came across that - isn't that absurd? Thanks for the explanation tribble :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Originally posted by Dr99
    Peats are just worse full stop, I asked them for a Micro atx PSU, guy comes back with a normal atx PSU "It's a standard it should fit".
    Bollox it's almost bigger then my case, it's a standard alright the wrong standard!

And don't even get me started on wireless network cards! :eek:
    you think that's bad? they don't even know what an american power socket looks like :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by carrotcake
    you think that's bad? they don't even know what an american power socket looks like :rolleyes:

Why should they?

Do you know what the power sockets in each and every European nation looks like?

jc

Advertisement