Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiplier locked

• 30-07-2003 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I got an Abit is7-e and a p4 2.4 ghz 800 fsb today. My fsb is at 200 mhz and my multiplier is locked at 12. My motherboard supports 800 mhz and i'd rather have it at this speed. Is there anyway i can unlock it? Would there be much of an increase in performance at 800 mhz?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Intel multipliers are always locked, for overclocking you have to increase the FSB.

Nice choice in hardware. What sort of ram did you get??

If its Pc3200 ram , try setting the FSB to 250Mhz and the FSB:RAM to 5:4 - will mean your ram is running at 200mhz. You will prob have to increase your Vcore voltage, but 3Ghz is a good start as almost every one of these chips is capable of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Whats the point in having 800 fsb so?

I have 3200 ddr cl2 ram so i'll try that.

Thanks

Sorry forgot to say.....,

Intel motherboards Quad pump the FSB, ie set the FSB to 200Mhz and the overall FSB is 800Mhz. If you set it to 250Mhz that means you get a crazy but nice 1000Mhz FSB.

Your ram is 200Mhz FSB ram , so it more than lightly wont run @250Mhz FSB so use the 5:4 adjuster and your sorted.

Any questions at all feel free 2 ask.

Loki

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Don't go straight to that fsb, i have the same stuff except a 2.6ghz p4 and i cant get much more than 3.1 ghz without the onboard sound going wong and a good bit of instability ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Oh i see. Thanks lads.

• Advertisement

Usually people go straight in with that chip, 3ghz is no probs its getting over that where problems occur. I know exactly what you mean about onboard sound going - such a pain. Suppose a more restrained overclock (mabye 2.8Ghz) would be in order for your first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

240 will give him 2.88Ghz with the RAM still at 1:1 and no instability.

then he'll have to nudge miltipliers, CAS timmings, Vcores and other voltages to get it to around 3.1Ghz (does he know how to reset the CMOS jumper when his box starts to beep frantically ? :D ) .

After 3.1Ghz it becomes very hot and needs nutter cooling which costs. 2.88 (2.8) is a doddle, 3 is doable, 3.1 is a bitch.....watch those temperature guages.

M

He has 200Mhz ram, am doubting it will run at 240Mhz !!

You cant bump up the multipliers on intel systems only AMD ones.

The 800Mhz FSB chips are known for going over 3Ghz on stock voltage which means the heat increase wont be too bad at all. Most people do 3.1Ghz on stock cooling. Going over that, especially when you increase the Vcore you will need better cooling. Intel chips run alot cooler than AMD ones, a cooler like the Slk800 or 900 and mabye a quiet Papst fan would be plenty IMO .

Advertisement