Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Suggestion] Boards.ie RipOffIreland Awards

• 30-07-2003 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

Many people have posted asking what can be done about rip off prices. Might I suggest that this board present an award when a company is voted worthy of a Rip-Off award. This could then be emailed to the company concerned and they can be invited here to post justification of their pricing. Whilst this may not actually shame them into lowering the price, it may give us an chance to vent more productively! Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I'm for it lets give these rip off merchants a little momento of our anger at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

sounds like a good idea to me, may i suggest GAME as a candidate for this very prestigious award :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I remember reading a thread very similar to this before. I whole heartedly agree, and i'll even volenteer my services in dropping letters into various business that recieve such an award. Hey, i can probably even get cheap medals for the companies in question :-D

If this is gonna go ahead give me a pm and see whats up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

What about categories

Most Expensive Food Store
    Most expensive Bar Pub
    Most expensive insurance company
    Most expensive Homewear (stuff for the house furniture kitchen appliances etc)
    Most expensive Computer hardware/stoftware outlet

and the Tony O'Reiley award for the company most likely to cause damage to the Irish economy award

or could we just give it to tony for lifetime achievement award

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

No no no,.

You should organise a big ceremony, invite loads of press and photographers with the aim of getting the awards in the following morning's papers.

Would the companies show up is the question.

You could try tell them it's a Boards.ie Value 2003 award or some shiite, and totally take the piss out of the companies at the ceremony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

You could coinside it with the launch of the ripoffireland.org website not only would you publicise the site but get to embarrace some companies too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Originally posted by fcddunne
    You could coinside it with the launch of the ripoffireland.org website not only would you publicise the site but get to embarrace some companies too

Good idea, i'm up for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Scenic911

I like to suggest this idea..follow the link for background info
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10925. What to do is up to the patrons here..move goods about or just ask silly questions...

Scenic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

You mean this link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

...and you are missing the point of Flash mobs...they are pointless by definition, if you try to give them a focus then they become an angry mob...

Still, I'd love to try this on a certain fixed line telecoms operator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

Originally posted by fcddunne
    What about categories

Most Expensive Food Store - Spar/Centra
    Most expensive Bar Pub - Qbar (City Centre)
    Most expensive insurance company - Not sure
    Most expensive Homewear (stuff for the house furniture kitchen appliances etc) - Arronetts
    Most expensive Computer hardware/stoftware outlet - Dixons/Compustore

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

And may i suggest a special category just for EIRCOM because they really really deserve it!!! The biggest ripoff overall!!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

If handled properly it could not only give the new site excellent publicity, but also make some people pay attention for once.

Eircom - they are the only internet related company that has had any complaints against them according to the advertising standards' site, but they've had more than enough to cover the rest of the industry. I wonder why??

So whos making this site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭TheWolf

This actually sounds like a good idea. Is anyone actually organizing anything along these lines yet? I'd be happy to sort something out. Sick of the greedy basterds at this point :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

If handled properly it could not only give the new site excellent publicity, but also make some people pay attention for once.

Are you offering webspace?

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    Are you offering webspace?

I already did. Go to http://www.ripoffireland.org/ and you'll see :D

Great a start has been made :cool:

Originally posted by Webmonkey
    Great a start has been made :cool:

We're sponsoring the web space and, as the site's owner knows, would be more than happy to help out if needed.
    (the word 'help' is significant :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

bought a suite of furniture in Arnotts for a fraction of the price I could have gotten it else where mind you their sale was on at the time but I would caution good research not just word of mouth or ancedotal evidence but really like this idea a lot time to vent our anger

• Advertisement

The general feeling both here and in other places (ie. mailing lists etc) is that people in this country are unhappy with the way retailers from all sectors are overpricing things. Unfortunately only a small minority will stand up and be counted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by blacknight
    We're sponsoring the web space and, as the site's owner knows, would be more than happy to help out if needed.
    (the word 'help' is significant :D )

I could have a section on the site for the RipOff Awards and every week a different company could win it as voted for by the public. Any other suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Re: RipOFFIreland Awards?..

I hereby nominate *Eircom as deserving of the RipOFFIreland Award. They have ripped off enough people to even pay for the costs involved in presenting them with their award?..

P.;)

I am thinking that instead of an out and out Name and Shame section, I will have the RipOff Ireland awards. Each week I will get nominations and the top 3 will be put forward for the award at the end of the week. I will put together some sort of mock up award that will be e-mailed to the head office of the winning company. I am also working on a Weekly Newsletter that will highlight some of the more pressing issues and maybe if I can get some sponsorship I will be able to have competitions. All suggestions welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

RE; RipOFF Ireland Awards!.

LFCFan,

If you decide to go down the Awards route. Can I suggest that a Monthly award woluld give people more time to nominate.

A *Press Release too ALL Media of the Monthly winner. Would be grabbed with glee by most publications. The amount of FREE ongoing Monthly publicity the www.ripoffireland.org
    website would receive would be mind boggling. News of this *New website would be publicised {Worldwide!} in 24 hours.

If the media has not already been advised of this *News, i.e. the new website?.. I am sure they would love it!, particularly the Irish media.

Hope you can handle a media scramble?.. for interviews!.

Best of luck.

P.
    ;)

Originally posted by Paddy20
    RE; RipOFF Ireland Awards!.

LFCFan,

If you decide to go down the Awards route. Can I suggest that a Monthly award woluld give people more time to nominate.

A *Press Release too ALL Media of the Monthly winner. Would be grabbed with glee by most publications. The amount of FREE ongoing Monthly publicity the www.ripoffireland.org
    website would receive would be mind boggling. News of this *New website would be publicised {Worldwide!} in 24 hours.

If the media has not already been advised of this *News, i.e. the new website?.. I am sure they would love it!, particularly the Irish media.

Hope you can handle a media scramble?.. for interviews!.

Best of luck.

P.
    ;)

You're Right Paddy. A monthly Award would be better. There'd be way too much admin to handle if it was weekly. I could take nominations for the 1st week of the month and then voting would take place for the following 3 weeks. It's actually quite scary how quickly the site has gained a following. Scary but very satisfying!

Advertisement