Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does boards kinda go *funky* around 3am?

Options
  • 31-07-2003 3:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭

i noticed the past couple of nights around 3am that boards stops working,does something happen at this time or something?

*title changed by popular demand/lynch mob.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Yup, Every morning at 3 its backup/cleanup time I believe. Boards are usually down for 10-15 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

then im not going mad,cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

what is this shut down y'all speak of. never noticed it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Every morning between 3am and 5 past boards goes down for maintenance. Takes about 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    what is this shut down y'all speak of. never noticed it myself
    Its done at 3am for a reason :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Its done at 3am for a reason :)

And what would that be..????????? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

3AM is sorta a "I'm hammered oh look boards let me tell them my life story" time

Why not 6AM

And yes people do get home at 6am but thats more a "I'm hammered and tired and have kebab on my face, why the hell is that damn boards open arghhhhhhhhhhhhh!" time

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

there is a bit about this on the feedback forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Ok sure it goes down for a few minutes but how is it "funky"?

:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Funky as in Slerms McKenzie, or Funky as in an apartment with no windows nor air conditioning shared by five lads which stinks of spunk?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭[Iramus]

is it james brown funky or smelly armpits funky?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Originally posted by lordsippa
    Ok sure it goes down for a few minutes but how is it "funky"?

Originally posted in the Jargon File
    funky: adj.

Said of something that functions, but in a slightly strange, klugey way. It does the job and would be difficult to change, so its obvious non-optimality is left alone. Often used to describe interfaces. The more bugs something has that nobody has bothered to fix because workarounds are easier, the funkier it is. TECO and UUCP are funky. The Intel i860's exception handling is extraordinarily funky. Most standards acquire funkiness as they age. “The new mailer is installed, but is still somewhat funky; if it bounces your mail for no reason, try resubmitting it.” “This UART is pretty funky. The data ready line is active-high in interrupt mode and active-low in DMA mode.”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

wel if it aint functioning at all i dont think it can be said to be 'funky' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Well apart from night shift workers like myself who's online at that time of night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

its actually 3.06 :)

cartman

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Originally posted by cartman
    its actually 3.06 :)

cartman

So THATS what the admins argue about all the time,

"What minute past three should we have the backup?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    wel if it aint functioning at all i dont think it can be said to be 'funky' ;)
    It does function, it just requires a small amount of offline time to keep things in order. Hence funky, it works but there are kludges to keep it working

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Originally posted by CuLT
    So THATS what the admins argue about all the time,

"What minute past three should we have the backup?"

maybe it's the alcohol in my system but that is the funniest thing I've read in weeks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

maybe it's the alcohol in my system but that is the funniest thing I've read in weeks
    i kinda hope its the alcohol in your system

im never on boards at that time, (for some reason), so i dont really know about it. does it just lock posting or is everything unnaccessable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by superconor
    im never on boards at that time, (for some reason), so i dont really know about it. does it just lock posting or is everything unnaccessable?

the site is just down.

Advertisement