Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal - Goalkeeping, problems over?

• 31-07-2003 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

With the signing of Lehmenn, do you guys think Arsenal have sorted their goalkeeping issues or enhanced them? I personally think, having watched him play in Germany a couple of times he is of good quality, but will he prove me wrong? What do you guys think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Added to them more like. Lehmann couldn't handle the Serie A, we'll just have to wait and see how he copes with the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I don't actually know much about the player but he has been around a while and is coming from a half decent team. At worst he has given Arsenal more options in nets. They don't have the money to sign anyone better, so given what they are paying I think it should prove a decent buy, potentially an excellent one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

He use to play for AC Milan not a bad keeper but we'll wait and see,can't be any worse than Bartez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

It does seem strange that Wenger has been agonizing over a new keeper for the best part of two seasons and then rushes in to get a 33 year old that has failed in Serie A and been prone to blunders in the Bundesliga. Recber would have been a much better bet IMHO- not to mention Robinson...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Baddiel

I think his addition is worthwhile as it Stuart Taylor will try even harder to prove himself as the number 1 which I'm in no doubt he will be within the next two years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I can't understanf whey when they weren't guaranteed a good replacement [such as Recber] they got rid of Seaman!!

IMO he could have played on for another year, or at least until they'd purchased a proven keeper, because anything I've heard about Lehman doesn't inspire confidence .... which as a United supporter makes me v. happy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Baddiel

Forget about our goalkeeper problems, What about our defence? Sol Campbell is world class but Cygan is useless. I think Wenger made a big mistake when he got rid of Upson. Cole and Lauren are both very good players but they both look more comfortable in attack than defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Stuart Taylor has performed well when he plays. i see no reason why he shouldn't be the number 1 this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

Apparently Rustu was all lined up, they signed an option on him at the World Cup, but then he got pissed off when AW started asking him about his health (specifically his back), and told Arsenal to forget it. If this is true, then it's a real shame, and I think that this is why AW let Seaman go, because he thought he had Rustu for sure.

That said, I think the jury's out on Lehmann so far, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Additionally, I think Taylor's pretty good for a young 'un, he did all right last season. Man, he's tall though :)

Defense is definitely an area that needs attention, and I think Senderos, while he probably has potential, is not exactly a world class defender (yet!). The fact that him and Keown are already injured is not that inspiring :( Left and right back I think we're OK, and have some cover, but other than Campbell and Keown (who's getting past it now), none of the others have so far inspired confidence. I'm interested to see if Cygan has improved over the summer, since it can take players a while to settle in, but he better have improved a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Eron

Between Goalkeeping, defence and another striker, arsenal are screwed for this season. I think their new goalie will do well, but I have my doubts. German keepers have a good track record, but thats just a handful. Cygan is useless, but I think when arsenal rack in the gate receipts (providing the stadium at ashbourne grove is built, better be because my uncle lived their and got evicted cause of it) they will get a couple of decent signings, but that could take 2-3 years. As far as goalkeeping goes, they replaced a decent goalie with another decent goalie. They are the second best team (well, kinda) in the premiership, they should have more....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well I agree with you all on the defense issue we need another quality centre back. This keeper looks like he is a good addition to the squad, midfield is the same as last year (as long as Paddy signs on the dotted line!!!!) upfront we could do with losing one of two of the hangers on (please let that diving gimp Jeffers go !!!). Couple this with a couple of promising youngsters and I think Arsenal are in good shape this season.

Gandalf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

OMFG Jens Lehman is absolutly, 100%, without doubt the biggist blooper in professional football, he makes Gary Connaughton at Athlone Town look Consistant, the man has not idea how to handly crosses or long shots, he is half decaint at the auld one on ones, but thats about it, Arsenal will have a bad, bad season...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I heard he is Germany's second choice keeper, anyone know if that's true or not?

I'm happy enough. I think whoever they signed it would have been a temporary measure for a season or two until Taylor becomes first choice anyway. I was highly impressed with his performances when Seaman was injured last season, the game against Man City at Maine Road springs immediately to mind.

My main worries are the contract signings and the Arsenal defence. Hopefully Wenger has worked on defence over the summer, it needs it. The move to Ashburton can't come soon enough.

Arsenal still have the best midfield in the premiership, and Henry, Bergkamp, Wiltord, Jeffers, Kanu and a couple of young players to choose from up front. Not worried about arse's attacking options. I just hope that the current financial problems won't completely hamstring the current squad before the move to Ashburton Grove :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Lionel Hutz

I dont know much about Lehmenn but the gooners needed someone experienced quick smart - and on the cheap so he fits the bill. I cant understand why AW didnt go for Robinson, he's young, english, has proved himself and seemed to want the move. Taylor is promising but not up to it just yet so mabye Lehmenn is just bridging the gap until stewie is ready.
    PS. lay off big pascal cygan, anyone remember Bobby Pires' first season at the arse? he was cack - a shadow of the player is now is, but he came good, because cygan is a defender his mistakes are obvious and costly but i think he might just do the bizz next season when he's needed in Keowns absence. Gooners champions by christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

Jepp, Lehmann is Germanys second-choice goalkeeper behind Kahn.

He is allright, but sometimes he gets strange goals. But the worst with him is, that he has a bad reputation. He was hated by Dortmund Fans, and has a bad card record. Got 4 or five sending offs in the last few years. Last one in the German Leauge Cup two weeks ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

i think he will be a good signing for a the gunners

still hoping that they will sign mexes from auxeure but the current ashburton groove project is holding them back as regards cash

heard from another forum that once the current loans for the project go through they get 40million back which some can go back to transfer fees

so look out for the january sales!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Eron

Lehmenn is the second choice keeper for Germany, but does that say much these days? Ollie Kahn has been at the helm for years, and "lameman" just warms the bench, hes nearly as good a water boy as Millie Heskey....

Advertisement