Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science Forum

Options
  • 31-07-2003 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

I've been chatting with a few people who read/post to science about this and will, they agreed so I thought it might be worth posting here.

Do you think it would be a good idea to move the science board out of Technology.

Its really out of place with the other boards in there (web hosting/etc, home entertainment, MAC) and there are always loads of science/medical questions posted to after hours and especially personal issues that might be better discussed/suited in science? Its not a case of there not being traffic, just the traffic goes to the wrong places.

I would imagine technology is somewhere that alot of people wouldn't look because it really suggests computers/electronics and biomed and maths don't really seem like obvious subjects to find in there. Maybe society/education would be more appropriate? If science was in society (and most of the subjects are society issues) then I reckon it would take more posts.

In addition, what about sub boards for bio-med and maths-physics to go with astrology-space?

The only reason I say this is there are lots of of threads I totally miss among after hours and Personal issues cos I don't really read them.

I've suggested this to the mod, but not heard back of yet. (I imagine its down to him aswell).

Anyway..... just two cents.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I don't have much time for this post - so I'll get back to it maybe tomorrow.

Definitely there is a good case for having science within the technology forum. This argument however is pretty much vetoed by the fact that everything within science that would relate to technology is already pretty much covered by other boards within the technology forum.

Astronomy and space definitely can not be reasonably identified with technology. Their causes are furthered by technology but that is a different matter. Sport is furthered by technology but that is no argument for including in the technology forum.

Science is actually much broader than technology - in an ideal world the technology stuff would be inside a Science forum. The demand for that is not pressent but definitely Science should be moved elsewhere. Like sykeirl says, there is a noticeable amount of threads elsewhere that would be suited to the term science. For a lot of these you wouldn't automaticaly be thinking technology and would most likely overlook the science boards.

Have to go - I'm sure I'll have no trouble thinking of other reasons for it to be moved - I'll post them later. (I'll fix any typos tommorow;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

One could always move Astronomy to After hourse since it is an activity mostly done after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

A lot of my personal issues come to head after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hopefully, Science should eventually sprout, cetainly a maths board, maybe others.
    Originally posted by sykeirl
    In addition, what about sub boards for bio-med and maths-physics to go with astrology-space?
    I think the astrology boards shouldn't be under Tech - it should be under arts. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I agree that Technology isn't really a great place for science After Hours or Society would probably suit it better.

Would alos be an idea for the different sciences to maybe have subsections i.e. Maths/Physics etc.

I think having the different areas in different subsections would also be beneficial to those studying for exams as it will seperate them and make it easier to follow etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I agree that the ideal placement would be to have technology as a subcategory under science, but that doesn't seem practical. Society makes more sense, but not perfect sense. Anyway, I'm inclined to think that moving it is probably a good thing, but I'd like to hear what the mod thinks.

I'd also like to create a mathematics forum, but I don't know what the interest level would be like ...

Many of the science board threads are maths orinetated. How about changing it to something like this:

> Tech / Sci

>> Technology
    >>> Broadband
    >>> Home Entertainment
    >>> HW Tweaking / Modding
    >>> Mac
    >>> MS Apps / OS
    >>> Nets / Comms
    >>> Programming
    >>> Security
    >>> Unix
    >>> Web Hosting
    >>> Webmaster / Flash
    >>> Wireless

>> Science
    >>> Astronomy Space
    >>> Maths / Statistics or "Maths / Physics"
    >>> Science - General

and eventually add "Chemistry & Materials" and "Biology & Medicine" (not a "I have spots on my willy" board) to Science.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by Victor
    and eventually add "Biology & Medicine" (not a "I have spots on my willy" board) to Science.
    If there is a Biology board and I get a willy thread on PI I may just accidentally throw it over for the craic, just to see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

tbh, i think maybe the science board should stay as one, but maybe a trial seperation should be attempted.
    i heartily endorse this event or product!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by Gordon
    If there is a Biology board and I get a willy thread on PI I may just accidentally throw it over for the craic, just to see what happens.

Heh, thats the last time I PM you about willys.....

ohh er...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Rather than having a category and two categories under that, could we just move Science and Astro back under Technology, and rename Technology category to Sci / Tech?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Could Science be considered a part of the Arts? or is saying that like starting a Trinity UCD argument?

I think if you have a sci/tech forum you will still be narowing the focus of science unecesarily. Under Arts it would have a lot more breathing room and wouldn't be steriotyped into a narrow mindset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

>>> Maths / Statistics
    For some reason Victor suggesting a statistics forum amused me :)

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by Cloud
    Rather than having a category and two categories under that, could we just move Science and Astro back under Technology, and rename Technology category to Sci / Tech?

Well whatever way you do it I would be happy if Astronomy / Space could be listed on the main board index I think it would help traffic no end as to be honest it's fairly invisible where it is.

Thanks

Ryan

I see what you're saying, but we can't list every forum on the main page. Any suggestions welcome.

The thing about technology is that its very cluttered with..well...technology.

>>> Broadband
    >>> Home Entertainment
    >>> HW Tweaking / Modding
    >>> Mac
    >>> MS Apps / OS
    >>> Nets / Comms
    >>> Programming
    >>> Security
    >>> Unix
    >>> Web Hosting
    >>> Webmaster / Flash
    >>> Wireless

When you see a list like that science just doesn't stand out and people probably don't realise it exists.

I think education/society would be the coolest (or if I were to really push my luck, a science forum with boards for med/bio, phys/chem, maths/stats and space/astrom)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Perhaps rename the Technology area Sci/Tech as previously mentioned, then make 3 major headings under this - 'PC', 'Tech' and 'Science'.

Stick Programming, security etc under the PC header. Science, statistics and Maths problems etc under the Science header and a proper technology forum under the tech header (renaming the current tech board to pc tech support or somit instead (which is all its used for at the moment) and sticking it under the PC header).

Far more logical, far easier for newbies to know where to post and itll put each forum far more in the limelight than smothered together.

Originally posted by Moriarty
    Stick Programming, security etc under the PC header. Science, statistics and Maths problems etc under the Science header and a proper technology forum under the tech header (renaming the current tech board to pc tech support or somit instead (which is all its used for at the moment) and sticking it under the PC header).

Good grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Moriarty
    (renaming the current tech board to pc tech support or somit instead (which is all its used for at the moment) and sticking it under the PC header).
    Shame, sir. Muck had a thread there about a washing machine only last week.

Seriously though it's mainly PC support but it does get a reasonable amount of pure "technology" threads (many of the non-hardware tech support issues end up in MS Apps/OS)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by ecksor
    I see what you're saying, but we can't list every forum on the main page. Any suggestions welcome.
    Perhaps you could do this rename Technology to Science and Technology with Technology, Nets/comms, Wireless, broadband, Science,and Astronomy / Space the create a new category called Computing or something similar with all the computer related forums in it.
    It could be jigged around a bit but Technology needs to be broken up as it is a bit cluttered with unrelated forums at the moment.

Ryan

• Advertisement

Well I can't get in touch with the mod of Science for his input.

He hasn't posted or answered PM since 27th July.

:(

There a suggeestion for a Meterology board, what if it is put under Science?

What if Science were moved to "After Hours" (blasphemous, I know ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

(blasphemous, I know ;))

Whyso?

Any update/feedback on this issue fro the admins?

Originally posted by Amz
    Whyso?
    AH is full of muppets :)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I like the rename to "Sci/Tech" idea, science and technology are often lumped together,
    and having Technology renamed as such seems logical. It's associated that way, so exploit the fact :) .

I also agree with the idea of opening a few new science forums if the rename happens.
    And in that case would it not also be better to rename "Weather" to "Meterology" and place it under Science?

If you see this Man, it'd be good to have your opinion on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

To answer for Man, he would prefer to have more broad discussions in Weather forum and to stay in AH.

I've created some new sub-cats in Sci / Tech and moved some forums in there - Internet, Electronics and OS.

Let us know what you think.

There's more room for some of the Sciences too.

To answer for Man, he would prefer to have more broad discussions in Weather forum and to stay in AH.

I've created some new sub-cats in Sci / Tech and moved some forums in there - Internet, Electronics and OS.

Let us know what you think.

There's more room for some of the Sciences too.

Cool, how about splitting up science as previous suggested though?

>Science
    >>Biology/Physiology
    >>Maths/Stats
    >>Physics/Chemistry

etc

Yeah, thats what I'd hope would come of it's position in After hours
    I've kinda felt that tagging it as meteorology would give the forum too strict a scientific feel to it, even though it is a Science.
    As it develops further, there will I hope, for sure be "Scientific-heavy" meteorological discusions on the forum , which are very interesting and very welcome.
    But thats only part of the story.
    The full story includes everybodies general experiences with weather which could mean discussing everything from government policy on it's effects to what was under Aunties dress when the gale was blowing at that wedding:D

mm

• Advertisement

What if you had it like this in science?

>>Science

>Biology/Physiology
    >Chemistry/Physics
    >Geography/Weather
    >Maths/Stats

Weather (meterology) is a geography science anyway and its pretty relevent.....

I still think sci/tech looks wrong.

sci just looks like sci-fi and it really isn't intuitive

but hey...you can't please some people.

Advertisement