Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyponotism

• 31-07-2003 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever tried Hyponotism ... ?

Does it work ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Meeting with John Doherty coming up Ray? :)

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Used it to give up Cigarettes, Have been of them for approx 6 months now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dragon_ninja82

Tried it in college once for freshers week. He made me act like one of madonna's back-up dancers :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Hypnotherapy does work. Had some this year (for what I'll not share) and I've seen pretty good results.

Being Hypnotised is weird - not at all what you might expect as you're completely aware of what's going on and can snap out of it at any time you like, it's just that you don't really feel a need to.

It's not a miracle cure, you need to work at it, but it's good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

The guidance councellor in the school where my dad used to work was also a qualified psychologist/psychiatrist, he used to help people give up smoking, I think they'd go into him about 3 or 4 times over a couple of months and he'd hypnotise them into believing that smoking was bad for them!!

You can convince some people to believe anything these days...

I'm going for my first smoke of the morning, yum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have never been hypnotised BUT i have done it to myself and it does work. I have never hypnotised anyone else either by the way. Its very easy to do and almost anyone can be hypnotised as long as they are receptive to it. People do it all the time to themselves... usually when driving or doing something monotonous.

All i did to myself was either make myself go beyond the usual limit in the gym./... or relax and cause my arm to float into the air.. its funny... your arm is numb and you are controlling it by telling it to rise.. not by actually thinking about lifting the arm and doing it... Your arm is actually numb and heavy but seems to rise as if someone else is pulling it up with a string. I did it only to see if it could be done and it can... i find it easier with my right arm than my left, im right handed.

By the way.., if you want to give up smoking and cant afford a hypnotherapist.. be your own.. make a tape.. a recoding of either your voice, or a soothing voice you know... prefferably with music in the background.. and just talk slowly saying stuff like "You do not want to smoke, you feel the urge but are repulsed by the idea. Smoking makes you feel physically ill!" Crap like that.... it will eventually associate smoking with something the body rejects in your mind.. and can help stop smoking as long as you are willing in the first place.. you can also download mp3's like that or even buy one somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

yes and no :)

it depends some people are easier to but under then others, and it if is as a treatment that person will be very susceptible to it happening.

But it isnt a parlour trick for it can open door that should remain closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Thaed

But it isnt a parlour trick for it can open door that should remain closed.

/me makes ghost noises and playes twilight zone music inthe background

Advertisement