Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technology question

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

Ethos do you work for Esat?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

800 megs is not that much. It's only about 4 hours worth of downloading on broadband.
    I do more than that (almost anyway) on my ISDN ffs, or used to till i starting working. That was just gaming and patches and stuff with some music / tv rips thrown in the odd time.

Just read the IOFFL forums and you'll know the same information that etho_ knows.

The reason they run on different DSLAMS (before someone asks) is that the business/residential products have(had) different backhaul bandwidth amounts to the ISP. Also different contention tho im not sure if thats an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by UbahOne

Being informed about esat products does not mean I work for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

FFS, Esat have two products

Business through Local Loop Unbundling = own DSLAMs, own set contention, own backhaul.

Residential, resale of eircom's RADSL, eircom's contenton set etc.

Netsource resell all of eircom's products not just RADSL.

Have a look at the documents on eircom's wholsale web to see howthe service works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

Being informed about esat products does not mean I work for them.

you dont have to give a smart ass reply. it was only a question...

• Advertisement

you dont have to give a smart ass reply. it was only a question...

I wasn't trying to give a smartass answer, sorry. But you or Richard have asked me this before on another thread and I told you no...besides, it's OT :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

eth0_ is a mod!

when did this happen?

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by Richard Dower
    Apparently all BB customers get nailed to the same line regardless of which ISP you are signed up to. Seems to me Eircom will keeping putting customers onto one DSL line until the contention ratio is full 48.1

Then another line will start the same process, so an Esat customer in Dublin could be sharing a DSL line with say 27 Netsource customers.

You see the unfairness?
    That's aterrible generalisation.

You need to a: calm down and b: think before you post.

Firstly you're getting what you pay for, the product is 512down but not guarenteed and has a contention ratio of 48:1, essentially you're been told you may only end up with 1.3k/sec but that's perfectly ok, as that's the product you subscribed to. It's just like a 56k line, ideally you'll get 56k on dialup but inreality we know that doesn't happen, and even with a 56k modemyou' not even guarenteed 9600 baud, so if you get a **** tranfer rate tough as well.

Secondly it is stupid to assume that all Netsource customers will eat up your bandwidth. Not all netsource cutomers are warez monkies. Some are business using their line monday - friday 9 to 5, they're unlikely to have any impact on you. Secondly, a lot of people won't be downloading large files all the time. I know I don't, that would also require substantial effort on their part. maybe 5 or 6 hours of picking files to download at max speed for a week. That doesn't happen much, if it does then it's stupid, their not going to use all those things they download much.

There are numerous other reasons why people might use netsource, among mine were
    a: I didn't have to use eircom (I only pay line rental to them)
    b: If I wanted tech support I would only pay a local call with netsource (I subsequently was on to netsource many times due to eircom fking my line up, this alone would of cost me in the region of €120 or possibly a lot more with eircom.)
    c: static ip
    d: if I do happen to download a lot in one month for whatever reason i won't have to worry about extra charges (I do some work from home so it can involve large files.), Having said that my bandwidth monitor for the week says only 80 megs or so.
    e: I had bad experiences with esat before (SNL debacle)
    f: UTV were dragging their feet and I had cancelled my dialup account with them.
    g: convenience - their office is close by my office in town

Those are just some of my reasons, don't be a gimp and slander all netsource users. If you have a problem change your provider, get wireless BB or go back to dial up, it's your choice, don't moan that you made it.

Originally posted by theciscokid
    eth0_ is a mod!

when did this happen?

;)

Last week, keep up! :)
    Pity i'm not mod of this forum or ye'd all have slapped wrists!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Originally posted by eth0_
    No...nothing to take issue with Esat about...the only things being 'said' are being said by you...and you've no reason to be disgruntled with the service now it's running properly...give us some CONCRETE evidence of why you still think IOLBB is rubbish. FACTS, not what you *think* is going to happen in the future, what bad QOS are you experiencing right now?

If you can't produce any evidence, then please, for the love of God, hush.

Again let me refer you to the numerous comments and complaints made by posters to these forums, there are outstanding issues with communication, customer billing, contract and service problems.

Unfairness in how the DSL service actually operates, contention issues, backhaul issues, mixed ISP customers per DSL line issues etc.

What about Esat changing the rules about the 5GB download cap?, billing problems...the fact you never get a straight answer from one person to another, training, what more needs to be said.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Chowley
    Why do you feel the need to insult people who pay for what they want OR need.If they did all this downloading on Esat Id say they're idiots but they paid for netsource and they are doing what they have every right to do.

Can you say that?
    If you feel so strongly about the current BB situations get Wireless if available or if all you want is quicker browsing speeds bugger off to ISDN and stop insulting people for doing things they are entitled to do.

I am not insulting Netsource customers per se, but how customers from varioius ISP's are mixed to the same DSL line. It's not fair...Netsource customers should be on Netsource DSL lines as that is what they paid for.

I didn't pay to share by bandwidtch with a Netsource customer who has no cap and can potentially slow my surfing experince down.

lol..i asked this myself. I see spies among us!!

:eek:

Last week, keep up! :)
    Pity i'm not mod of this forum or ye'd all have slapped wrists!

:mad:

Firstly you're getting what you pay for, the product is 512down but not guarenteed and has a contention ratio of 48:1, essentially you're been told you may only end up with 1.3k/sec but that's perfectly ok, as that's the product you subscribed to. It's just like a 56k line, ideally you'll get 56k on dialup but inreality we know that doesn't happen, and even with a 56k modemyou' not even guarenteed 9600 baud, so if you get a **** tranfer rate tough as well.

Where does it say on the Esat website or in the contract i would only get a 1.3K download speed?

This is my problem....Esat never tells you any of this stuff, if you didn't have internet access and signed up here, how would you have obtained this information?

I heard people say, you should have researched...bollocks, Esat is supposed to provide full and detailed disclosure on the products they sell.

It's not a customers job to learn the technical apects of their products, they should volunteer this info without prompting + have a detailed description on their websites.

Not everyone can be savvy about DSL, nor should they be.

Secondly it is stupid to assume that all Netsource customers will eat up your bandwidth. Not all netsource cutomers are warez monkies. Some are business using their line monday - friday 9 to 5, they're unlikely to have any impact on you. Secondly, a lot of people won't be downloading large files all the time. I know I don't, that would also require substantial effort on their part. maybe 5 or 6 hours of picking files to download at max speed for a week. That doesn't happen much, if it does then it's stupid, their not going to use all those things they download much.

Those are just some of my reasons, don't be a gimp and slander all netsource users. If you have a problem change your provider, get wireless BB or go back to dial up, it's your choice, don't moan that you made it.

I'm moaning that Esat never tell any customers this stuff nor discuss it with them, i am moaning that how the DSL service is setup in Ireland is inherintly unfair to some customers.

We should all be given a reasonable service, be they Esat or Netsource...but one should not have an advantage over the other.

If you pay more then you are entitled to a better service, such as the business package, same as if you have no download cap and another customer does...they should be separated to make it fair.

And i have not just moaned on here, i've written numerous emails to Esat and calls, i have also sent emails to certain media organisations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

I am not insulting Netsource customers per se, but how customers from varioius ISP's are mixed to the same DSL line. It's not fair...

You quite clearly insulted netsource customers.

But I do definately agree with the second point, people shouldnt be affected by people on other services, but theres nothing you can do except give up on DSL.

Originally posted by Chowley
    You quite clearly insulted netsource customers.

But I do definately agree with the second point, people shouldnt be affected by people on other services, but theres nothing you can do except give up on DSL.

Yes you can...we can all fight to exact change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

The contention is at the exchange level ....so you got 48 dsl users, be they UTV, IOL or eircom RADSL sharing one line...

I've asked UTV Clicksilver technical support, Eircom I-Stream Technical Support and Netsource Technical support.
    And they were all very definite that this was _not_ the case. That every isp rents their bandwidth (say 2mbit) off eircom and divies it up as they see fit. All stated to do otherwise would be unfair as they all offer different/no caps.

I'm not saying they are right (it does sound like something eircom would do) - but can you tell us where you got the information above from. It seems a quite rampant tale on boards. It would be nice to get a definitive answer - might help some people to choose one dsl isp over another.

ta. ozmo.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

can anyone on a newsource verify if this is still true:
    "Base Product 512/128 RADSL 48:1 Contention (only 256/128 guaranteed)"

Are you guaranteed that 256 min, and more imporatantly, are you getting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I have netsource's product and all I can say is that its an excellent service. There is 5 computers connected to the line and up until recently, we were downloading constantly at rate of 50k at least...

As for Richard, just read your posts briefly, have you actually got BB yet? It would be plain thick to complain about a service that you do not have or have not had experience using it.

Also, who care is ethO works for Esat. Thats the great thing about boards, we get advise from people who are in the know, as oppossed to talking about stuff they do not know about, do not own nor have any experience using the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Richard if u feel so strongly about broadband move to a different country. Ireland is new in this game, and is bound to have problems, you just need to give them time to iron things out.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    As for Richard, just read your posts briefly, have you actually got BB yet? It would be plain thick to complain about a service that you do not have or have not had experience using it.

It's installed and operating.

Also, who care is ethO works for Esat. Thats the great thing about boards, we get advise from people who are in the know, as oppossed to talking about stuff they do not know about, do not own nor have any experience using the service.

This in refrence to me?...i do know and i have experience using the service, i am a customer and signed up.

Originally posted by Stormfox1020
    Richard if u feel so strongly about broadband move to a different country. Ireland is new in this game, and is bound to have problems, you just need to give them time to iron things out.

Moving to another country is impractical, would you not agree?
    I'm Irish and proud to be, but that's not to say i should not fight to improve the service, not just for me...for all of us.

I'm not on a "crusade", i just want a product that can be the best it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I think you should leave it at that Richard. You have made your point and its just gonna end in a petty argument!

Richard has shown himself to be unwilling to educate himself about how DSL works re: isp's sharing contention (btw this happens in the UK where most if not all DSL ISP's use BT exchanges and I don't see a lot of p*ssing and moaning about this fact from people in the UK!). He obviously wants to throw his hat into the ring and invent a new broadband technology. Perhaps you could give it the moniker 'spamband', eh Richard? :)

Originally posted by Richard Dower
    lol..i asked this myself. I see spies among us!!

:eek:

Don't flatter yourself man.
    I also answered you when you asked me, I told you no I don't work for them. And i'm sure the broadband mod would be happy to confirm that I haven't been posting from any telco's internal company IP range!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

ok this is closed

NO more bash richard treads or spam (and quoteing half a page makeing a small reply then makeing a new post to reply to a different question is spam)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement