Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gandalf please explain

• 31-07-2003 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

Ok you told to open a new thread:
    Originally posted by Gandalf

If you want to whinge about Roy Keane start a NEW thread about now get back on topic or I close this thread.

Gandalf.

Ok so I start a new thread and he moves it to recyle bin so I can't reply to posts.

Now Gandalf I have a sense of humour and I posted the New Thread as much out of having a luagh as anything else, but it also was to debate an issue and there was some good reply before you moved.

Can you please explain your actions as I'd love to know why you moved it.

P.s. I didn't get all the votes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Your thread was moved because it you were naming other board users as muppets. Now I don't care if you two are best of buddies and just having a laugh etc because once I let one instance of this go then its open day.

Also it might have been an option to look back at the original threads about Roy Keane to see if most of what you wanted to say was covered in them.

Next time you have a problem with my decisions on here PM me.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Gandalf

To the best of my knowledge I do not know irish1 personally.
    I agree totally with your actions. I knew nothing of the poll until I logged on this morning. Again as i have told you in the past i had no intention of rising to the bait and so I Ignore the thread this morning. I Wondered what had happened to it when it disappeared and want to thank you publically for putting it where it belongs.

The Muppet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Gandalf

To the best of my knowledge I do not know irish1 personally.
    I agree totally with your actions. I knew nothing of the poll until I logged on this morning. Again as i have told you in the past i had no intention of rising to the bait and so I Ignore the thread this morning. I Wondered what had happened to it when it disappeared and want to thank you publically for putting it where it belongs.

The Muppet

Well I apologise it was a joke, I had my own name in the vote too.

I just thought I could lighten the argument up a bit.

And gandalf I wouldn't have posted this thread if you had done one of two things:

1. Pm me to explain why you had done what you did or
    2. Edit the thread and write a post

:D

Fair enough

Apology accepted and I now accept that you meant it as a joke but sometimes its difficult to guage somones tone just by the written word so Im Sure you understand gandalfs actions.

Everyone knows that the country is split down the middle on that particular topic so the material for a massive flame exchange was there in the thread. That is the reason i chose not to post in it.

BTW on a lighter note I did check out the poll and i was very dissapointed to see that I got no votes. You scored really well making you nearly as popular as Keano :D

Thanks for seeing the thread what it was, I think its nice to put a bit humour in around here.

Re the Poll imagine I nearly got as many votes as Keane, I think I should feel priviliged. lol

Anyway hope theres no hard feelings, take care.

• Advertisement

Anyway hope theres no hard feelings

Absolutely none, No doubt we,ll spar again in the future.

The Muppet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I am saying this in the most polite way as possible and I don't want to get into gandalfs bad books but i feel that he gets a little carried away with the power that he has and it is just being stupid. I know what its like to be a mod because I am a mod on another website but I don't get carried away and I would allow sware words or whatever but I know that is unacceptable on these boards. If someone wants to slag someone off because they don't agree with their comments than let them. If two people disagreed with each other in a pub there would usually be a bit of slagging going on, its a fact of life.

I also know gandalf is not the only one like this. I think it is really stupid banning people for not sticking to the small rules. For example I know a very respectable person who got banned from these boards for putting a For Sale add in the Bargains section on two seperate occations. That is just being stupid. What do you people get out of this.

I know that Gandalf will probably reply to this message with a very aggresive** reply and I don't mean any badness by what I am saying.

Just try and lighten up lads!;)

**aggressive - I am really tired and I couldn't think of a better word!

eireboy I appriciate where your coming from however I have experience now of modding forums on boards for quite a while. What I have learnt is you let the small things go and then it all mounts up. Now I don't read every thread I don't have time but if I spot something that goes against the rules of the board then I will take action. Irish1's post was mild, but he was taking the piss outta another boards member which is a no no on any boards I mod.

Swear words are outta my hand, its a rule applied by the mods on the whole site. Respect for other boards.ie members however is something I feel strongly about. I know the point your making about slagging someone in a pub. However when your face to face you have body language to tell you someone is taking the piss, on the web its just words and what you think is a harmless slag could be taken literally by another person.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

However when your face to face you have body language to tell you someone is taking the piss, on the web its just words and what you think is a harmless slag could be taken literally by another person.

So damn true...fairplay.

Eire boy in my short time on boards i have had exchanges with various mods particulaly from the forums you mention. I have to say i have found both mods on this forum to be fair and unbiased. I dont know if you saw the poll post but on first reading it i was unsure if it was meant to be a joke or a serious attempt to cause trouble . I think Gandalf was correct in his action. Im sure like the rest of us he makes mistakes from time to time but I see him as a fair an unbiased mod.

The only problem I have with him is that he supports the enemy:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Without trying to be too "fight the power" or anything I personally think your modding can be a wee bit heavy handed and bombastic at times Gandalf.

Rarely enough to be fair.

It's a footie forum by it's very nature it will be chatty and slaggy but it's not as if it's going to turn into flamefest.

My two hundreths of a european.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

Actually come to think of it, i do remember a time Gandalf got mixed up with someone before about what they said and what he perceived it to be...

No more is being said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

This is sort of turning into a 'Bash Gandalf' thread. This isn't really the place. Maybe take the advice he posted earlier:
    Originally posted by gandalf
    Next time you have a problem with my decisions on here PM me.

Originally posted by Serbian
    This is sort of turning into a 'Bash Gandalf' thread. This isn't really the place. Maybe take the advice he posted earlier:

I didn't mean for this thread to be such a thing but I don't see the harm in it I'm sure its good for gandalf to get some feedback plus as I said:
    Originally posted by Irish1

And gandalf I wouldn't have posted this thread if you had done one of two things:

1. Pm me to explain why you had done what you did or
    2. Edit the thread and write a post

Originally posted by UbahOne
    Actually come to think of it, i do remember a time Gandalf got mixed up with someone before about what they said and what he perceived it to be...

No more is being said.

Actually your totally wrong I mixed someone up full stop. I apologised publically and via PM and thats why no more is being said.

I'm closing this thread now cause it has served its purpose. If anyone wants to continue fire me a PM.

Gandalf.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement