Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Powerline Project is go in September

Options
  • 31-07-2003 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

We are awaiting a pimp.....sorry, An Official Announcement, by Dermot Ahern and the ESB.

Tuam and Portlaoise will be on the list for Powerline over electricity lines (thats normal copper now , nothing to do with fibre), dunno about anywhere else.

The fact that both those towns already have or will definitely have DSL by next year is not pimpworthy. Of course not.

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Nope but it is good news that there may be competition on the last mile from a substaintial company.

Hmmmm whats that ah Philip no you've soiled yourself. Someone get the pampers please.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Tuam and Portlaoise will be on the list

D'ya think these trials extend beyond the towns out into the sticks a little bit? Im a few miles outside of Tuam...so naturally i would be a willing guinea pig:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

a few miles outside Tuam in Tuamspeak could mean Mountbellew.
    Martin Cleary in the ESB District office Galway is the project manager for Tuam, go pimp ur self :D

M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

yes, that makes perfect sense. Give broadband to areas that already have it. Why couldnt I have thought of that? I'll just sit here in the dark ages while some telco (or power company in this case) reinvents the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

I dont think Portlaois exchange is enabled (is it?)

Rymus im sure they have their reasons for trialing it in this areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    I dont think Portlaois exchange is enabled (is it?)

ther's 2 exchanges in port afaik and one is done . chk the eircom online tester .. im sure its around somwhere

but what i want to know is this the test period or is this the start of the offical release ?
    how long exactly will the rest of the country take to be done once its released ( guessing its a flick of a switch )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by B-K-DzR

Ah yeah no doubt they do but it doesn't mean I can't be ticked off about it anyway :D

a few miles outside Tuam in Tuamspeak could mean Mountbellew

Well, unfortunately your not far wrong there muck!....i suppose i must be an eternal optimist or something:confused:

Martin will receive a call from me on monday:D

Thanks for the info.

Reported in the Tuam Herald

Broadband boost for Tuam:

I never got round to making that call to the ESB but this article answers my question anywayz:

"Martin Clarke, Technical Support Manager ESB, told The Tuam Herald that this was a trial programme with no guarantees. They will monitor its operation and decide whether it is viable based on suitability and cost.

He explained that the ESB had brought fibre optic lines to their 110 kv station at Cloonacragh by running them along their power lines. From here the signal will be carried to the Ballygaddy Road sub-station and from there to transformers in the areas selected to take part in the project such as the industrial estate and the centre of town via the ESB lines."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Not sure if it's the same issue as the article mentioned by Eurorunner but the July 31 issue of the Tuam Herald mentioned that the first 100 connections would either be free or almost free for the duration of the trial. Not free for everyone in other words. Anyone living in Tuam, start moving to the phone as soon as you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Tuam and Portlaoise will be on the list for Powerline over electricity lines
    When did Portlaoise enter the equation. AFAIk it's only Tuam. Reasons for selecting Tuam 1) its in the BMW region and 2) it's serviced by the ESBT National Fibre n/w.

thegills

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Is anywhere else marked for the trials or is it just those 2 towns

Regards

Shin

Originally posted by thegills
    When did Portlaoise enter the equation. AFAIk it's only Tuam. Reasons for selecting Tuam 1) its in the BMW region and 2) it's serviced by the ESBT National Fibre n/w.
    thegills

Portlaoise is in the BMW Region
    Portlaoise is serviced by the Fibre figure of 8 Too

Of course they shouldn't be on a trial like this, harummmmmpppph :) . How about Kinnegad instead ?

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Originally posted by Muck
    Of course they shouldn't be on a trial like this, harummmmmpppph :) . How about Kinnegad instead ?

I fully agree with Muck's sentiments on this matter! :p

viking

Muck,

You haven't answered my question?
    Portloaise is one of the 19 MAN towns so would be unlikely to be trialled because if they can't get broadband there then we're all shagged. I also have a contact in ESBT who told me that only Tuam will be trialled?
    Of course they shouldn't be on a trial like this
    Why, explain?

thegills

Because I should be on it. That requires that Tuam and whatever are told to feck off for starters.

I'll go halves with Kinnegad though

Portlaoise already have DSL from 2 providers and a MAN in the pipeline (atrocious pun )

Tuam already have DSL from one provider.

/me has ISDN and is not a happy bunny!

M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

What a pro! :)

I found an interesting website about PLT. There seems to be a monoploy on the kit supplier.
    MainNet

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

Originally posted by thegills
    I found an interesting website about PLT. There seems to be a monoploy on the kit supplier.
    MainNet

If you don't mind the pun, they are the 'main' kit suppler but PLT is a tiny market and if you have a look at their press releases page you may note that things haven't been all that busy recently although they are obviously involved in some of the US trials.

Ascom are another supplier
    http://www.ascom.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement