Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt

Options
  • 31-07-2003 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

whats people's experiences with this..

i am familar with the msft resolution

but there has got to be other ways?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

might be boot.ini missing or corrupt / virus

if you have another PC with the same OS then format a disk , copy ntldr , ntdetect.com and boot.ini on to it

you now have a boot disk ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

bootdisk will get me how far?
    back into windows

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

But we've got a server that's been running off a boot disk that way for the last three years... Tried all the usual stuff - Fdisk /MBR - repair - reinstall - install a second copy in the WINNT4 folder - only the boot disk worked...
    (which in part explains why that particular Exchange 5.5/NT4 server had an uptime of 160 days before it had to be moved recently)

If you have NTFS then your options are limited when it comes to writing missing files - if you have FAT16 happy days (mixing 2K and NT can get messy when NT AutoChk stops checking the HDD...) -there is a messy M$ hack where you edit one of the inf files on one of the disks and sneak on that file during a repair..

PS. you can use NTFSDOS to read the boot.ini & other system files to put on the boot disk...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

great stuff but
    prob is across raid 5 setup..

so cant go near it via dos with ntfspro

reckon bootdisk is way for this man..

win2k server..

i presume if server is running sp2..
    best to copy from current working 2k server with sp2 server..

as minor changes in predecessors might cause erratic results

Knoppix will happily boot up my PE 4300 with PERC II RAID 5 and allow me to read the NTFS drive.

It's at times like these when you are glad your system drive is FAT16 or you have a second copy of an OS in another folder.

If you have enough free space do a second install of the OS in a second folder eg: c:\win2k - you can then boot up in that and copy files - and next time you have the problem it should fix faster..

It's only three files so worth using the same SP level..

Oh yeah you need another file for the SCSI driver - can't remember what it is called *.sys in c:\ ?

Look up tech net for the article about
    "booting from the dark side of a broken mirror"
    for more info on all of this

• Advertisement
Advertisement