Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid Term Referendum

Options
  • 31-07-2003 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

Mid Term Referendum

How about if in Ireland we could establish a referendum mid term without political campaigning of any type (i.e. no posters, no banners etc.) only the basic call for a referendum to see if the people of the Republic of Ireland are satisfied or not with the work of the politicians in government.

One question to be asked: Are you satisfied with the actual government work overall?
    Two possible answers YES or NO

In the case of the majority answering YES the government will have green light to continue until the end of the period.

In the case of the majority answering NO an early election will have to be called within the next 6 months.

I think this would give more power to the people of the Republic, and the opportunity to exercise their freedom, on other hand politicians will be forced to be more transparent in their actions, keep more of their promises, and work harder for the money they get.

I would like to see some opinions about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by molinaalexis
    One question to be asked: Are you satisfied with the actual government work overall?
    Two possible answers YES or NO
    Lets be honest, the question should be "do you want an election?" or maybe that could be a second question.

Of course, puttting Senate seats out to general election on the same day as local elections might bring soem inspiration to Irish politics. Reducing presidential terms to 5 years could mean doing 3 in 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

As most Goverments tend to be rated low in popularity polls mid-term. A referendum could give a false reading, but certainly some new type of "whipping boy" legislation that would help to keep the serving governments ministers noses to the grindstone is IMHO badly needed.

Paddy20;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

This would act as nothing more than a reduced term for the incumbants.
    As such, it wouldn't be much use.
    Bring in the ability to call for a binding referendum by presenting a petition, and then you'll be doing some good.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

Originally posted by molinaalexis
    Mid Term Referendum

I think this would give more power to the people of the Republic, and the opportunity to exercise their freedom, on other hand politicians will be forced to be more transparent in their actions, keep more of their promises, and work harder for the money they get.

While this idea seems to be one that shows more Direct Democracy and accountability it will worsen the quality of legislation and governence in this country even further.
    If a given government had to worry about the prospect of being voted out of government in the middle of their term it would simply half the time scale that the a government took into account.
    For example:
    FF/PDs will be making some of their least favoured decisions this next budget and most probably the next also. These are neccessary to keep the country sane. Later in their term(nearing election time) then prepare the nice re-electable give aways.
    If there were to be a referendum in the middle of a governments term then it would see the government half the length of time it planned for from the present 4 years to the 2 years of a Mid-Term.

The idea of a Mid-Term Referendum on the government would realistically be a shortening of their term.

While I would rejoice if I could see the backs of FF and the PDs I am strongly against any measure that would further worsen our Legislation and governence.
    The effect of a Mid-Term Referendum on the governments preformance would only see more give aways that are unsustainable and the avoidence of unpopular measures that are necessary.

Your proposed Mid-Term Referendum is strickingly similar to the Californian Recall principle which is currently happening to their govenor Gary Davis. While I admire working systems of Direct Democracy such as the Switz Model and the German Petition to the Reichstag(hopefully the proposed similar petition for the EU will be approved).
    I am strongly against Popular Democracy such as California and your proposed Mid-Term election

note: your Mid-Term Referendum on government CAN'T be called a referendum as it would enshrine the decision of the day into the constitution. While the idea of enshrining the fact that FF/PD must get out of government in 6 months is an appealing one, it is at fault

No to Popular Democracy

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Nope this is unworkable. No matter which government you have you are guaranteed that they will be unpopular mid way thru their term.

I agree with Victor its time that the irish people elect some if not all of the Seanad and stop it as a back door for failed or aging politicians.

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by gom
    note: your Mid-Term Referendum on government CAN'T be called a referendum as it would enshrine the decision of the day into the constitution. While the idea of enshrining the fact that FF/PD must get out of government in 6 months is an appealing one, it is at fault
    Are you confusing referendum with amendment?

Advertisement