Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

usage on a shared dsl line

Options
  • 31-07-2003 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

does anyone else share a capped dsl line amongst several people? if so, what will you do when you go over the cap and your service provider charges you for the excess? (not that this has happened yet here.)

yes i know i should have got an uncapped service etc. but i'm stuck with this one for another 9 months ...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Originally posted by crowbar
    does anyone else share a capped dsl line amongst several people? if so, what will you do when you go over the cap and your service provider charges you for the excess? (not that this has happened yet here.)

yes i know i should have got an uncapped service etc. but i'm stuck with this one for another 9 months ...

Dunno....bawl like a baby and run around in nappies?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Make each and every one of the chip in to pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

You could probably upgrade to an uncapped service with your current provider. They won't mind mind forgoing the remaining 9 monthes of the current contract if they're getting more money

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

but what if one person downloads far more than the other, how do you tell? at the moment i wouldn't have a clue so i'd just split the bill evenly. i've got a dsl router but it doesn't tell me how much data each pc on the network has downloaded.

Install a d/l monitoring programme on each of the computers, something like DU meter

• Advertisement

hmm... yeah, i'll investigate that one. nice one, mrpink. does dumeter keep cumulative stats that you can reset, say at the beginning of the month? i'd still have to rely on everyone being honest about their d/ls. i wonder if there's any honour amongst the rowdy band of thieves that live here ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Or a proxy with monitoring features on the server, if you have one

I don't actually use it myself (uncapped :D), but many ppl on the boards are using it to record monthly d/l's because they don't trust eircom's/esat's d/l monitor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭xen

quote:
    Originally posted by MrPinK

I don't actually use it myself (uncapped ), but many ppl on the boards are using it to record monthly d/l's because they don't trust eircom's/esat's d/l monitor

If they dont trust their d/l monitor why did they bother going with those service providers.

PS I know their isn't many other dsl providers but one of the reason i ain't going with eircom or esat i know i'd be ****ed over royally!!!

Those who went with Eircom did so probably because there was no one else offering it at the time. There are ppl who have had broadband for over a year now

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Originally posted by xen
    quote:

PS I know their isn't many other dsl providers but one of the reason i ain't going with eircom or esat i know i'd be ****ed over royally!!!

LOL...and you feel safe with UTV or Netsource?, be afraid...be very afraid. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭xen

No I don't feel safe with netsource or UTV but i really hate eircom so there was no way i was gonna go with them!!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Richard Dower
    LOL...and you feel safe with UTV or Netsource?, be afraid...be very afraid. :D

UTV are cuddly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Get "Onlineeye"

Afaik it's freeware and is siomply really really cool.

Can even do remote monitoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

Originally posted by MrPinK
    Install a d/l monitoring programme on each of the computers, something like DU meter

But Note: It would have to differenciate between Internet traffic and file sharing between local pc's.

I'm looking for such a method also - maybe if each pc uses a vpn over the lan for non-local traffic only - to a single pc running as a VPN server which shares the internet and does the traffic monitoring.

Depending on the VPN software used - you should be able to monitor each VPN account.
    maybe this would do it http://www.deerfield.com/products/wingate_vpn/access/
    and www.wingate.com

ozmo.

“Roll it back”

ozmo, that sounds really complex! ideally i'd prefer to do it transparently, without having to install stuff on each of the pcs. how about a linux box inline with the path to the internet doing ipchains accounting on off-lan traffic, and somehow tying it into the name of the machine through dhcp ... (shudder) ... actually that sounds just as complex.

Advertisement