Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help required urgently

• 01-08-2003 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    I'm at work, setting up a laptop. Im trying to install 98 on it atm. However, I can only either have the cdrom drive or the floppy drive in the lappy at one time. What I usually do is make a bootdisk, go to the command prompt and type setup on the cd-rom drive. The problem is, cdrom drive is not in the lappy at that time.
    (Im not sure how clear I made the problem, v. busy at work :))

I need to find away around this. I thought about installing dos first, then putting in the cdrom drive, then running setup on the cd-rom.
    but there must be an easier way...

any help greatly appreciated :)

king

Thanks alot

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

On powerup go into the Bios. Change you first startup device to be the CD-ROM. Save settings and reboot on CD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

I have tried that, but it doesn't seem to work. AFAIK, you need to start the intallation from the command prompt....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well, if it's a Dell, you should have received an additional cable which allows you to connect the floppy drive externally (thereby having the two drives operating simultaneously..

The alternative:
    Ensure you have a valid readable formatted 'C' drive (for Fat32, you'll need a boot disk that can interpret FAT32)
    Have the floppy drive in the drive bay.
    Insert a bootdisk (which has a universal CDROM DOS driver).
    Boot up using the boot disk.
    Type: SYS A: C:
    This will copy the system files from your floppy drive to your 'C' drive, thus making your 'C' drive bootable. Copy the files from your A Drive to your C Drive, including the universal DOS CDROM driver. Edit the Autoexec.bat and config.sys files on the C'Drive' to ensure that all paths are changed from 'A' to 'C'.

Boot up using your 'C' drive, with the CDROM drive in the drive bay, your CDROM drive should be recognised, and you can install away..

Obviously though, it'd be alot easier to use the cable for attaching the external floppy!

If this is too complex, or you don't have a bootdisk with a universal CDROM drive, let me know, and I can sort you out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Windows 98se is bootable, however 98 is not.

Make a bootable cd with system files on it or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

hey thanks krusty, I think ur on a winner there,

Only one problem, I cant see the line in autoexec.bat that specifies the path, so I'm not sure what to edit..

Any ideas??

• Advertisement
Advertisement