Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XML-RPC v Sun RPC v Multiplexed socket server

Options
  • 01-08-2003 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭

So.

Sun rpc, looks very restrictive and seems to have little gain, for what I'd like to do with it.
    ie pass arbitrary length strings to a remote daemon and have it validate and parse the string against in memory arrays, which take the place of db transaction.

XML-RPC looks promising on the face of it, however one issue gives me pause using it.

A multiplexed or threadded socket based server can (at least in theory) handle multiple concurrent connections, and can have access to static in memory arrays (a cache, which is a requesite part of the application), but, what about XML-RPC.

Is an XML-RPC based daemon capable of supporting multiple concurrent connections?

DCOM is out of the question (as is SOAP) since this information transaction application will have to operate in an envrionment ranging from FreeBSD 4.3 boxes to Red Hat 7.0 & 8.0 boxes, so anything too far from the fray of x86 Unix is probably not going to be a good idea.

Ultimately performance, as opposed to the amount of work (Typedef) has to put in, is the issue.

If I end up having to write a protocol to operate across TCP/IP for a multiplexed socket server, because sockets, will be faster then XML-RPC or SUN RPC, then fine.

Suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

You might consider TAO - wait a sec... I know it's CORBA and prob everyone thinks "Uggghh big fat and ugly" but TAO is a quite well established ORB especially performance-wise. It's much documented and there are plenty of perf stats/docs for it. Should you need it slimmed down, it's heavily implemented with templates, supports miniumum CORBA. Hell they even had it running in F-16's! Can't be bad ;) It's has a huge amount of supported platforms and should you need it RT support. If you are goin down the road of writing ur own socket server be forewarned - that effort and amount of work will be huge especially when u gotta support things over varied platforms. If you still don't want the overhead of CORBA and want to go it solo you can always use the ACE toolkit on which TAO is built on. Opensource too... anyway...

.2c

Dizz

Advertisement