Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maxDATA PC

• 01-08-2003 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Hi All;

I currently have a Windows 98SE "runt", and I'm wondering if I'd be wiser to sell it or upgrade it. Personally, I think upgrading is a better option - I can't imagine getting much money for it. Then again, it would need a new motherboard, processor, RAM etc...

Below is a list of its specifications - parts that would need to be updated have an asterix beside them:

MAXDATA ARTIST

Intel Celeron Processor 500 MHz *
    64 MB SDRAM *
    20 GB HDD (Doesn't need to be updated - I don't use much HDD space)
    Floppy Drive
    DVD Drive
    56k PCI Modem
    2 x USB 1.0 ports
    2 x Serial ports
    1 x Parallel port
    1 x Monitor port
    On-board sound
    Motherboard - Unsure of type - lost the manual *
    Windows 98SE *
    15" Belinea Monitor * (maybe)

Any comments/advice etc... appreciated.

Regards,

Chris D
    "WexCan"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

could just be better in the long run to buy a new one . but depends u can buy a new pc from 800 so id go with that if i was ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

I'm planning to order a Dell Inspiron 5150 notebook this month - the desktop will be used mainly for surfing the 'net and as the gateway computer for a wireless connection. (Phone line connected to desktop.)

Regards,

Chris D
    "WexCan"

(I'm spending about €1800 on the notebook so I can't buy a new PC.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Was that a maxdata that was bought from ESB, they were mostly faulty machines iir, they had spanning problems, mainly to do with the mobo. I returned 2 of them machines last year and got a full refund of around 1200 punt.

So you could beat it up a bit, get a pc techy to look at it, verify its busted and claim off ESB

Spanning?

In any case, it was bought from CompuStore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

if ur going to just be using it as a gateway for the net access just up the ram and leave it at that u dont need much to do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

If all you want it to do is be a gateway and for surfing a bit then why do you need to upgrade?

Finding out what the motherboard is easy. Either check POST screen, BIOS or failing the other two use SiSoft's Sandra.

I suppose that's true...

Any comments on the notebook I intend to buy? I've had to muddle it around so many times - darn Dell promotions:

DELL INSPIRON 5150

Mobile Intel Pentium 4 Processor - 3.0 GHz
    256 MB 222 MHz DDR SDRAM
    15" UXGA (1600 x 1200) Screen
    40 GB HDD
    DVD/CD-RW Combination Drive
    Dell Wireless Mini-PCI Card
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 32MB Graphics Card
    Windows XP Home
    Nylon Carry Case
    1 Year Collect & Return Service
    Price - €1808.89 Including VAT and Delivery

I just hope Dell have some decent promotions running during mid-August. I could do without the CD-RW (currently offered as a free upgrade) and the free 10 GB extra on the hard drive. Would prefer double memory (to 512 MB) and money off. It's pretty hit-and-miss - the next arsenal of promotions could be absolutely worthless.

Anyone have this notebook? Any comments?

Regards,

Chris D
    "WexCan"

Oops - correction - 3.06 GHz processor. Not much difference though.

Advertisement