Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice please

Options
  • 01-08-2003 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

right im thinking of getting a netsorce dsl connection ( is this wise or should i go for the esat business dsl )

but what dsl modem should i get i just need a modem as i already have a 24 port 100 meg switch

sorry if this was aready mentioned in another post ... but im blind

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Get Esat biz adsl if you can afford the like 110 euro a month Its uncapped 512k down 256 up (remember theirs only 45 enabled exchanges in the country)

if not the netsources 60 euro Radsl (if thats what you ment) is uncapped 512k down 128 up. but they never seem to be runing right the pings spike etc

if i had the money it would be Esat

cant advice you on modems though sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

The DSL-300+ was the cheapest one I was able to find locally. Both itdirect and elara sell it for slighly over €100, but you could probably get it cheaper if you bought it further afield. Haven't had any problems with mine.

With regards to which service, you get what you pay for. No one will disagree that Esat Business is a better service, but it's a bit too pricey for my liking. If you can afford it tho, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

People are starting to complain that Netsource is slowing down again (low download speed and high pings) ... its unknown how long it will take them to fix it ... just this morning (11:30 ish) I was getting 100ms+ pings to Netsource.ie .. (it was fine last night, and appears to be fine again now) ...

If you have a lot of users and have the money go for the esat business product, you wont be contended like all of us on IOLBB/UTV/Eircom/Netsource RADSL on this bitstream ....

[edit]
    If you have more than one PC, you'll need a modem with Network Address Translation, a joe bloggs modem wont give you that ... go for a modem router combo (is the 300+ a router as well?)

I have a Netgear DG814 and it is working fine with netsource
    [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

im thinking about staying away from radsl cause ive been hearing its not that good and steady . i like my ping to stay constant .

( naturaly i dont want a cap )

looking throught one of the posts up as a sticky cant rember who posted it atm some gud reading

but on the modem cant i just have one pc as the gateway to the net and all others go throught that( like isdn ) ? or is that different with dsl ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Originally posted by BigEejit
    ...is the 300+ a router as well?

No, just a modem.
    Originally posted by elexes
    but on the modem cant i just have one pc as the gateway to the net and all others go throught that( like isdn ) ? or is that different with dsl ?

Short answer - yes. Longer answer - you will need some kind of routing application on the PC to allow all your PCs to use the single IP address from the ISP. I believe people have used MS ICS for this, but I have no personal experience of that. Wingate has also been suggested. Also, as DSL is always on, you should have a firewall. If you're comfortable with non-M$ apps and OSes, I'd recommend you make your gateway PC a Smoothwall - router and firewall in one.

• Advertisement

It will work regardless of the connection type. If you're using a Windows PC as a router for the others then you could get a cheaper USB modem, but the ethernet modems are still better imho

ive no probloms in paying out a large ammount of cash for the modem as i do see it getting massive use and dont want to buy crap that will just fail on me after a year or so

also is netsorces contract just a 2 month one .

Originally posted by elexes
    also is netsorces contract just a 2 month one .

Sort of. The contract is for 2 months, but you must give them 60 days notice before cancelling.

grand so . think ill get netsource then and see how it goes .. if i dont like it ill just dump them and get a new contract elsewhere 60 days aint to long

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

if you decide to dump them and go eslewhere you'll have to pay the install fee again.

• Advertisement

was talking to the nice girl on the phone seems very good ... ive to decidde very soon

almost forgot thx for the advice lads

Advertisement