Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Chairman Phil can I become a citizen too ?

Options
  • 01-08-2003 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Did anyone find the Eircom ad in to-days papers more than a little insulting, particularly the section on 'What Can You DO?'.

Eircom have held this contry back for years and now have the gall to sell themselves as true saviours of Ireland and encouraging us all to be good citizens.

Come the revolution is what I say.....

M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

What paper was the ad in?

What did it say?

viking

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I assume its in the Indo as theres no big Eircom ad in the Times.

A scan of this would be most appreciated.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

is on the back of the Business Supplemnt in to-days Irish Times. I've tried to post a scan to the board but it keeps telling me the file is too large even though it is well within the limit specified.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

FTP it onto some free webspace and link to it here.

Or email it to me ( pie [at] dol [dot] ie ) and I'll do it for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Email it to boardsDOTieATspamfilterDOTcc, I'll post it for you.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

anyone got it up on the web yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ugh just seen it.

Frightfull and full of rubbish like "We have invested heavily in network infrastructure and are committed to continuing our investment for ireland" & "Already we have made broadband available to over 800,000 lines".

Oops they didn't put a disclaimer that the line may fail. Time to complain to the ASAI again.

Gandalf.

Originally posted by Mr_Man
    Re: Scan has been mailed to Adam
    Eh? I cain't see it.
    [root@billyfurry log]# grep boards maillog
    Aug 1 13:25:07 billyfurry sendmail[17601]: h71CP6G17601: from=<root@muppet.boards.ie>, size=999, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<20030801121919.48097.qmail@muppet.boards.ie>, proto=SMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=www.boards.ie [217.114.166.147]
    Did you replace all those lovely caps with their relevant characters? Try [DELETED].

adam

Yup,

I replaced the caps and there was no bounceback on the mail. I've resent it to the new mail address provided. Hopefully it'll get through this time.

M.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Oh if someone had some good photoshop skills and a decent scan they could really doctor that ad to tell the truth. It's just begging for it. Look at it!

... then all we'd have to do is get some sponsorship and post it in next weeks Friday Irish Times. If only ...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Great Scott, they seem to have mated adverts for Esat and Cow&Gate and produced some ungodly mutant monster.

So being a Citizen comes with a price tag these days. I suppose it could be worse, we could have to fight giant bugs from Klendathu in order to become valued members on the good side of the digital divide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

"... we are committed to making Ireland a leading broadband nation."

Good god. Too much bull to process all at once. That "leading broadband nation" plan must be a 100 year one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

"IT'S IRELAND FUTURE - that's why we're moving all our business interests offshore and plunging our massive profits into the pockets of American investors while continuing to financially rape the internet users in Ireland. It's also the reason why we stalled on releasing broadband for over 4 years and why we eventually released it at a price that 99% of the population couldn't afford. Now we have released a joke of a bitstream deal and we make resellers jump through hoops to have any chance of getting a service off the ground. What can you do? Nothing. Shut up and take it bitches."

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jam

So being a Citizen comes with a price tag these days. I suppose it could be worse, we could have to fight giant bugs from Klendathu in order to become valued members on the good side of the digital divide

I fear that might be the easier option..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Its a cruel, cruel world with humanities basic need to communicate being deliberately denied to the majority of our citizens, by a few greedy capitalist pigs.

Oh, and lets not foget the Dirty Rat?..

Now, whats James Cagneys e-mail address!.

Paddy20.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

This is what concerns me the most.. ok so everyone on the boards knows that €ircon are $hite...but your average joe is picking up newspapers ie the filth that shane ross came out with in that rag - the sunday indo...or watching the box...and viewing those RATVERTISEMENTS......for all poor average joe knows, €ircon are doing a good job.

there must be a way of getting the truth out there to the ordinary folks...cos they have to be onside in order to create the pressure to banish the demon that is €ircon.

Now laugh if ya want..but we dont have €ircons resources and we have to get attention any which way we can...i did notice that the west on track pressure group had someone do car stickers for their campaign....ok, now i know that some of you will say that this is cheap and nasty but (infacta) i dont give two hells at this stage...
    Im sure every civic spirited boards member would contribute a euro or two to cover the cost and smack one on the back of the old mercedes...
    just needs to have a simple statement on it that hits directly at €ircon..which would ultimately compute to €ircom = scumbags................................

Ireland offline has had a limited amount of airtime recently, and in the absence of airtime, this maybe another way of spreading the word...

Maybe the above is mad ??
    Mayve its a rant?
    Maybe its not pretty but effective?

I know you'll let me know what ya think.

I agree that the dis-information being spread by Eircom needs to be challenged ! I suggested in another thread that IOFFL should write to every paper which carries the Eircom ad and rebut the claims made by Eircom. If nothing is done then those who are not as well informed as the people on the board will believe that Eircom are indeed saviours of Ireland.

I think that the 'Broadband Citizen' angle gives a perfect opportunity to get this message across. The letter could stress the inequiality fostered by Eircom, and the impact the lack of availability is having on those areas not BB enabled. I know that Eircom is a commercial company and needs to make a profit but if they are going to use this crap to attract customers then it is relatively easy to use it against them.

It is interesting to see how quickly Eircom reacted to Vincent Browne's article with a letter to the Irish Times, they really do need to be challenged on this.

Just my 2c.

M.

By the way, Tony's the Chairman. Phil's just his appointee. :)

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

You've got to love this line in the ad:
    Twenty years ago eircom revolutionised Ireland's telecommunications network.....

What it should read is:

Twenty years ago eircom revolutionised Ireland's telecommunications network, while it was still under government control, using taxpayers money to do so. Since then, we've done sweet f**k all to keep that so-called "revolutionary" network up to date and in a decent state of repair, effectively letting that 20 year old or more copper rot in the ground to the point that it's rotted so badly most people can't even get broadband now. In addition, after the introduction of our "revolutionary" network, we didn't bother our arses installing newer lines unless we absolutely had too, prefering to slap pairgains here, there and everywhere to double or even triple the capacity of our network without having to fork out the additional cost of extra lines, meaning we could pocket the resultant profit ourselves or use some of it to stick in brown envelopes with which we've been using to bribe politicians, business people and other public officials into leaving us alone and letting us continue to rape and pillage from the citizens of this land.

Eircom. Aren't we just great?

This kind of sh!t really pisses me off. When the hell is someone going to seriously take eircom to task over this ridiculous propaganda-like bullsh!t they keep spouting? Eurorunner is dead right. What's really scary is that the average Joe Soap doesn't have a clue what eircom's really like and propaganda from eircom like this stuff just makes things worse. It makes Joe Soap think eircom is fine and dandy and that they're the company who will make Ireland the broadband capital of the world when, realistically, they're the company who will ultimately wreck this country's chances of ever being able to compete in the international IT sector in a very short time (if it hasn't started to happen already).

The problem is, how the hell can a small volunteer group like IOFFL even begin to tackle the financial and legal might of eircom in order to stop all this disinformation and make people really see what eircom is all about? They say "money is the root of all evil" but it seems that, in this case anyway, money is the only way IOFFL or any other groups are going to be able to fight eircom head-on. Is it time IOFFL started looking for some commercial sponsorship, perhaps, or financial support and backing from the business community? Even, God forbid, from other telcos like, perhaps, UTV Internet (not a telco, i know, but you get my drift)? I know many will see this as "selling-out" but without the money necessary to take out ads in papers, radio and TV ads etc., how the hell are anyone going to be able to stop this disinformation from eircom and get the real message across?

Advertisement