Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheaters : the buying kind

Options
  • 01-08-2003 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Last night whilst browsing the 2nd hand games in Liffey Valley ,a mate of mine came into the shop and bought Tomb Raider and the Guide to Tomb Raider for €10 or somfin.

As i was shocked to see this he said he always did it then told me of other mates who did it also.
    Went and spent €70 on a game then bought the guide to play through it.
    Not just FF games but every top release that came out with guide.

Why the hell would someone pay €84 for a game that they will walk through in about 4 hours whilst hollding a guide in their hands???

Anyone else do this ???

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I think it takes a 'special' kind of gamer to buy walk-through guides. It's quite odd. There are very few games that anyone of reasonable intelligence and respectable physical dexterity should need a guide for. If you have net access then buying a guide is even more odd, I mean I think I got stuck on BladeRunner once ages ago and found out through an online guide how to get past the problem. Surely you can find out online how to overcome any difficulties.

Yes, gamers are strange beasts. I can only assume that conquering the game at all costs is a high priority.

Edit: As an afterthought, would it be bold of me to suggest that these kinds of gamers aren't actually that far removed from online multiplayer cheaters..? Someone who buys a game and then takes the easy way out and purchases what is essentially a huge helping hand...are they more likely to feel less inhibited toward cheating against others? I want to see statistics for how many online cheaters have ever bought a walk-through guide :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It seems quite common with younger gamers. What age was this guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Personally i feel like a failure if i resort to them, (i did once on ocarina of Time twas doing me head in) but i wouldnt buy one i read it in Easons :D

I just cant see why you would buy a game then use a guide to get through it.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

I personally hate Guides it takes away all the effort in the game, and then u get people saying the game sucked because it was to short. I had a friend once who bought a Guide for Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and completed it in a day and said the game was utter **** because it was to short, So i think all guides should be burn't otherwise we'll continue to get assholes who give goodgames bad reps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Think i've bought two walk throughs in my time.

First was for the original Tomb Raider cos i just could not figure out wtf i was supposed to do or where to do it. Without the guide i doubt i'd ever have gotten it.

Second was for Res Evil cos i wanted to know what rank i needed to get to do the Tofu/ special forces guy missions. (Res Evil 2)
    However if you buy the magazine there is always the temptation to use it even if you aren't really stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

I've bought a guide only once and the reason was that it came with the collectors edition of Myst III: Exile. I used it three times during the game and I felt so dirty afterwards!! No really, I felt I hadn't beaten the game. I beat the first two on my own and to have resorted to the guide makes me feel crap.
    I havn't played the game in a year and a half in the hopes that when I play it again I'll have forgotten how to do all the puzzels. But I just know that the bits where I resorted to the guide will come flooding back to me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I downloaded a walkthrough for Zelda: Oracle of Seasons to help on a bit I was really stuck, but I found myself going to it many times, took the fun out of it, :mad: now I don't download them, that way you don't have such a huge tempatation for the weak f*ckers like me. :o

But really, Buying a guide?:confused: At least you get pretty pictures. Better than ASCII art, but that gives you another challege: trying to decipher what the authour ment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Medieval: Total War Official Strategy Guide was the only guide i bought. it contained detailed information about each unit which helped me conquer Europe. thank you Mr. Barba

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I would be more inclined to finish a game first, then perhaps get the guide to see if I missed out on anything. Baldur's gate is a good example. Without the guide I would never have noticed loads of little subquests and stuff.

Advertisement