Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iis 5.0

Options
  • 01-08-2003 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know where I can find more information on IIS 5.0?

The program works fine but anytime I am going into a website that runs server side ads(http://www.statcounter.com), it pops-up a login window.

How can I stop this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Not quite sure what you mean.

Are you talking about developing websites or visiting them? Internet Information Services or Microsoft Internet Explorer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by nahdoic
    Not quite sure what you mean. IIS is microsoft's web server, and i don't think they have a version 5.0 for it.

Version 6 is windows 2003:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/features/compareeditions.mspx

There were versions 5 and 5.1 :
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/proddocs/datacenter/gs_whatschanged.asp

To answer your question.. .. I'd start on the IIS homepage and tech notes area on microsoft's site and take it from there

*sigh* ... i never get to edit my posts before someone posts a reply. ah well.

Originally posted by nahdoic
    *sigh* ... i never get to edit my posts before someone posts a reply. ah well.

Sorry :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Sorry I didn't explain myself very well.

I do use the IIS for creating my website in ASP and it works fine. I don't have any problems in that point of view.

What I am talking about is browsing the internet.
    If I go into a website that is running banner ads based on asp or php code, there is not problem, but if a browse a website that runs server ads, that's when I get a small window for logging into the server to actually see it.

I don't want to see it but it's very annoying when you are checking your stats and you get a loging window(IE) on every page.

Somebody said it's something to do with the way I have the IIS 5.0 setup.

I checked Microsoft website, but there is not help there with my problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by louie
    Does anybody know where I can find more information on IIS 5.0?
    Google? Microsoft?
    The program works fine but anytime I am going into a website that runs server side ads(http://www.statcounter.com), it pops-up a login window.
    This would be a browser issue and would have nothing to do with IIS running on your machine. Is the whole website opening in a pop-up or just the advert?
    [Actually the statcounter homepage is a bit bare :( ]
    How can I stop this?
    Get another browser or fix the one you have (can't really say as you didn't give much to go on!)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

OK you replied just before I got mine in so:-
    a server running server side scripts should have absolutely no effect on your system as the server side code is just that - it is processed into HTML on the server and then sent to you. Having IIS running on your machine is irrellevant to this.
    Are you saying that when you login somewhere you keep getting logged out? Then it is a cookie problem - (assuming you are using MSIE) go to tools > internet options > security and under custon level enable cookies

I don't want to see it but it's very annoying when you are checking your stats and you get a loging window(IE) on every page.

What does the login window say? Post a screenshot if you can.

Guys, you are missing my point.

I don't have aproblem with IIS 5 or IE 6.

They are all fine.

I attached a screen shot.
    I hope you will understand what I am talking about.

matte_stylescreen.jpg

This is very unusual indeed. Never seen anything like it I could be totally wrong here. But could you do this.

Could you load up Internet Explorer 6

Go to tools > internet options

Go to the "connections" tab

Click the "lan settings" button

Are any of those boxes ticked, are you using any sort of proxy server at the moment?

If it's not this, then it's more than likely the security settings. You could try setting the security settings a lot lower, and see if it makes a difference.

• Advertisement

I checked that in IE6 - Tools-Connections-Lan settings.

The Automatically detect settings is checked.

I clear the box, but it does the same thing.

Sanity check :Try it in a different browser

I set the security level to low and it stoped, but the banner ad does not comes up.
    Doesn't bother me, but what's your opinion on that level of security?

Install a firewall

Make sure your email is scanned server-side

Use an up to date anti-virus package

I have Zone Alarm Pro & I am using ETrust antivirus.

Advertisement