Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Console wireless networks

Options
  • 01-08-2003 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

The sheer thoughts of these make me smile .
    With the Wans all about these would be simply superb.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/2207229.stm
    Console gamers who want to stage tournaments in their living rooms and take on their friends can now use wireless technology to link machines together.
    Linksys has released wireless adapters for the Playstation 2, Xbox and Gamecube that make it easier to connect the consoles to each other or to the net.

Many console games produce multi-player versions and online gaming that let people play against their friends are becoming increasingly popular but the hassle of connecting up all the cables can prove a deterrent.

The wireless adapters use both the 802.11b and 802.11g specifications which speed data around at 11 and 54megabits per second respectively

The Adapter
    http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=550

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

The 802.11g specifications isn't standardised yet, (or something like that). I'd have to ask my WiFi mad friend again.
    Basically though they can still make changes to the 802.11g specification which means that an 802.11g accessory you buy today may not work properly with one in six months.
    That's probably a bit of a drastic view but it's just a point to make. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

11g was finalised in early June...

The equipmnet that they are talking about there has been available for a couple of years they have just re-pacaked them and made them idiot proof (and probably hiked the price!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Well, that shuts me up :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Dont feel bad im one of them ther WiFi mad people

;)

Wireless is going to expand multiplayer gaming to the next level because of the way WAN's are popping up. Im involved in WaterfordWAN and looking forward to high spped gameing with my mates and we have a Internet/Games cafe on board as well

:)

Advertisement