Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quad Timing Frenchies

Options
  • 03-03-1999 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Ehhhh ok. I've heard enough people talking about the French team's great teamplay and coordination and i'm right annoyed. We found when the weekend was over that Sun had a stopwatch attached to his monitor. When anybody got quad he'd start it and it did a 60 second countdown. So the French knew EXACTLY when the next quad was about to appear and could arrive simultaneously right before it respawned. We on the other hand took chances on when we thought it would arrive. If we got to quad a few seconds early we got raped by 3 frenchies arriving on time etc. Anyone of us arriving a second or 2 late got quadded.

I dunno how much this affected the results of the games. We thought we played poorly. But it bleedin annoyed me when i found out. Contrast their excellent quad timing with their pathetic pent timing.

Vonsta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SeP

i dont like the sound of that at all
    arghh but like what can ya do now...just make sure in footure i guess

on pent timing have u seen xenon do it, without any timer he manages to jump out the dm3 window and land on it! its insane!! against UK he jumped down and landed on it just as it spawned with 3 UK lads outside at it ffs smile.gif was deadly hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mickah

That's cheating

Mickah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Yeah, how could the officials not have noticed the big red "Spawn Pent" button on his keyboard???? Muppetry. smile.gif

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

Where can i get that demo Sep lad sounds good???
    huh?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

To be fair the french pointed it out to me at the start but I had a ton of things to sort out. I thought it was a clock to be honest and I really didnt see any harm in it since we all have access to the hud clock.
    It transpired that it was a countdown clock that was button start/stopped.

I dunno how much affect it had, but it does explain their excellent quad timing.

HOWEVER I dont want this to turn into "wah wah bleedin frenchies" they were very kind to us and we made some good mates over there.
    They are (hopefully) coming over for QPII so we can exact revenge then smile.gif

Lets focus on the future and not quibble about the past.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

Yeah, I agree, or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭earthworm_jim

In fairness, regular tabbing to the clock is pretty much the same thing in a good players hands. I dunno if I'd count that as seriously cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Sure you can just get a CFG to do it. I've seen one in Q2, so I can't see why it wouldn't work in Q1. I suppose someone would think that cheating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

go on so, cut+paste the cfg..
    or at least tell us how to time quads using a config... i have a cfg that jumps for me when walk near ledges, but it misses the dm4 quad ledge ...

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

But you could use the NFproxy, or you could (like most people) use quad timing sounds. Or use a 30 second nme quad soundtrigger when u see a quad nme. Its not cheating, its being ahead.

smile.gif

• Advertisement

Ste explained it I think. I got it a while back but never used it. Basically if you saw someone taking quad you pressed a button it would send a Team message "QUAD TAKEN" or "QUAD TAKEN BY NME" and it would play a wav which would make the Quad sound, then delay then "Quad respawn in 30 seconds... 10 seconds... 5... 4.. 3... 2... 1..."

However now that I think of it, just replace the quad wav with that one. Don't know if it would work in Q1, but it did certainly in Q2 (although I can't remember who the Irish lad who did the voice smile.gif)

Koopa... have you any idea how long it was since I played with a cfg file?! smile.gif

It would be something like (all commands totally wrong? but what the hey)...

bind q "say_team QUAD TAKEN;playwav Quadcount.wav"
    bind w "say_team QUAD TAKEN BY NME;playwav Quadcount.wav"

Only you get to hear the Wav, your team mates have to press the button as well to get a count. It's not an exact science, but I can see where it would help.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 03-03-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

I dont think a stop watch is somthing too be pist off with smile.gif theres a little clock on the console whcih u can move around smile.gif
    FAir fu(ks too them if there using a stop watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

Bah. Everyone missing the point. We wouldnt have let them use a quad timer anymore than they would have let Dev stand behind them and report their positions and status to us. They made sure WE weren't trying any funny stuff oh yeah.

The standard defence offered by people who use quad timers is "It's the same at looking at a clock or using the kteams "Scores" command." If that's so, then why use a timer? Cos it isn't the ****ing same. It's 100% accurate and requires no skill. Just like a bot is 100% accurate. Timers are banned from proxies for a reason. Because they are lame.

I don't really mind if we lose by being outplayed but I do mind being cheated. by less skilled players smile.gif

They got about 1 pent in the 2 Dm3 games, we got the rest cos we could time it in our heads roughly when it was due. It's pointless speculating whether they would have beaten us without help from their timer or not.

Man I am annoyed at that French team. They claim Koopa was lying when he said he had no sound and maintain that he's not better than all the French players. And they used one of the lamest devices in quake without telling us, a bleeding quad timer. Beast and I didn't mind when Dream was hiding in the 2 v 2. Just showed he was lame.

I need a lie down.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

and they should have taken off all their wrist watches as well

We should have deleted all their dodgy wav files and made them play in their underwear dammit. Don't trust Johnny Foreigner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I quite agree... Give Johnny Foreigner a taste of cold steel - he doesn't like that up em.

Dan

PS What do you expect from chicken **** frogs? We've been saying they're bad ****s for 900 years. And we haven't lost yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

hate to be a spoil spot but lads don`t ye all have wrist watchs?? smile.gif, can ye not count either??? 1 to 60 kinda hard wink.gif.

Ro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭earthworm_jim

I think the best thing for both the french and irish is to go by the results - the french were better team players, and koop was a better dueller. On average, the irish were better at 2-2's (3 out of 4 teams in the 1/4 finals), but the french sneaked the final.

When QPII comes along, we'll hopefully see the french team in Dublin, and we can give them 4 good PC's (P90's are good right? smile.gif) and the two nations can mix it once again.

When's the NI thing on by the way? Might take a car load up to that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

Yeah Jim...I'm very much on for NI, its just a day I think...but for the duels anyhow, and to get to know some of them and see if they're up for some team games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Marie

Guyz, I had promised myself to not post anymore but here I have to speak.

I am pretty deceived with you Von. Sun indeed has a clock stuck on the plastic under his screen, the clock only gives seconds, true.
    But do you really hear yourself write? Do you really think that one can, while playing an important game, take his hand off his mouse, press a bouton up to onto his screen to turn a clock on and go back to his mouse?
    Be serious, if Sun looks up at his clock to watch the time what is wrong with this, it takes 1/2 a second off his attention, as much as it would take to press the TAB key if you were using Quake's timer.

I hope my english is clear enough so it says exactly what I mean... not easy to argue when you are not a native.

My opinion....
    Marie

• Advertisement

I'm not going to get into an argument about the French using it, personally if you's didn't question it when it was sitting there tough smile.gif

However a timer that countsdown from 60 to 0 is a hell of lot different then the HUD clock.

You have to press tab to see the time when the quad is taken. You then have to add 60 to that (pretty hard for us Irish chaps smile.gif) then you have to press TAB to actually see the time (someone correct me if I'm wrong, it's so long since I played Q1).

Whereas with the timer, it's sitting slap bang right in front of you, and if it's a timer there's a good chance it beeps when it hits zero.

Using the HUD clock requires a hell of a lot of skill to use properly, most people just time it in thier head as it's easier. The timer on the other hand is just a cheap trick.

My 2 cents.

Riot. In answer to Marie, if Sun's countdown clock was so hard to operate or had no advantage over using the game clock then why use it? All cheats use the same excuse. Why did Skill5 use luminous nails? A little cheat that makes nailing a tinsy winsy bit easier. Altered models were supposed to be banned.

We played badly but fairly and lost. The french cheated and played poorly (they failed to time pent as well as they timed quads and could not lockdown levels).

Ok the next time we play, we will have enormous voice activated neon 60 second countdown thingys for quads. Not that it'd be any different to alt tabbing and having a look at the time in windows.

Hobbes speaks the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

Erm like who gives a ****? smile.gif
    the games are over n done with yiz lost and just leave it at that, i hardly think bright nails and a ickle stop watch beside his montior gave them an allmighty advantage and made them kick our butts

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

jAySuS von MAN!

relax.

SO they "cheated" in your eyes, fair enuf ur allowd have ur own opinion but don't make a show outa it (im one to talk) just BITE the bullet. smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

Ah Jezus Von in fairness.
    Pointing out a little timer on his monitor is getting a bit nit-picky. We didn't question it at the time, and as for altered models, they were not checked on ANY machine. For one thing, my machine, which was used by one of the team, had every dodgy little trick in the book built into the models, and i'll freely admit it, because I didn't see one machine there that hadn't at least ONE dodgy model on it. Yeah, mine had luminous nails too.

It's making the Irish look like sore losers now, purely because of your opinion up here as a player on the team. The Irish had better skilled players, even rusty old me knocked em around CA, but the french were better team players, that's why they won, not because of a poundshop-timer stuck onto a monitor. If it's legal to look at your wristwatch to time quads, its legal to pull the straps off your watch and pritt-stick it to your screen, lets not make an international show of ourselves over a silly little technicality.

Zero.

(edit: btw, we spotted that timer before any machine was up and running, I showed it to Beast and Dev, and while it's a sneaky little trick, it doesnt make the French cheaters. And who was that blonde bird??)

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited 04-03-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

I dont know about you, but we just got our asses kicked in there man.

Yeah I agree with Z

hahaha

i give up

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

anyone know where i can but a watch?

white(whats the time?)wash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SKILL5

von, when i used luminous nails ????????? i only use modified missile and grenade mdl for ukcl and fps.

ie and fr teams agreed on setting before matches , agreed with proxy use and with bright skin use , so hud clock was ok. Don't say me you only see my hud clock or watch of sun at the end.
    I didn't know before matches that all ie membre play in software, bright skin in software is very big cheat, but i said nothing because bright skins were authorized and in all mode..

thx altavista translator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

i do not think having a clock can be called cheating, just preparedness i suppose..

but fullbright skins are NOT cheating..
    Zoid says this in an email to [Z]Blitzer..

this is from Blitzer's webpage:
    www.iscape.fi/blitzer/quake/zoidmail.html

"The following is a mail I sent to Zoid and the reply. The conclusion is that there's nothing wrong with fullbrite skins..

Original Message
    To: zoid@idsoftware.com
    Date: Monday, December 21, 1998 8:29 AM
    Subject: Idea for next QW release
    >
    > Hello. I was wondering if it would be possible to strip the fullbright
    >colors from QW player skins?
    > In my opinion the ability to use fullbright skins ruins the otherwise
    >almost perfect game.
    >
    >--
    >Kalle Kataja
    >blitzer@iscape.fi
    >

From zoid@idsoftware.com Mon Dec 21 21:06:50 1998
    Return-Path:
    Received: from giant.mindlink.net (root@giant.mindlink.net [204.174.18.2])
    by iscape.fi (8.8.7/8.8.7) with ESMTP id VAA07131
    for ; Mon, 21 Dec 1998 21:06:49 +0200
    Received: from a2a00294.paralynx.bconnected.net
    ([209.53.18.92] helo=grog ident=zoid)
    by giant.mindlink.net with smtp (Exim 1.90 #1)
    for blitzer@iscape.fi
    id 0zsAgJ-0001OH-00; Mon, 21 Dec 1998 11:07:51 -0800
    Message-ID: <000c01be2d15$34daa4e0$0305a8c0@grog>
    To: "Kalle Kataja"
    Subject: Re: Idea for next QW release
    Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 11:07:50 -0800
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain;
    charset="iso-8859-1"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    X-Priority: 3
    X-MSMail-Priority: Normal