Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADD COMMUNITY - Buddhism

Options
  • 01-08-2003 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

Board Name: Buddhism
    Description: For the discussion of Buddhist issues.
    Private Y/N: N
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

I am not sure about this process. Apparently I am supposed to post my request here and then someone is supposed to decide whether it has merit and then that person is supposed to move it to the Feedback forum, where if four other people say yes, the board will be created.

Well, I've posted my request.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Can't remember whether I was for or against the Christianity board but it's there and seems to be working out with very little muppetry. I'd actually be interesting in participating on this one.

Thumbs up and support from me then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Yay, the more the merrier.
    /me looks forward to seeing this alongside the Paganism* and Christianity boads.

*Yep, I know that one of the moderators has hardly been there of late, and further that that moderator is me. Sorry, I'm busy is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 jimhenson

I think a buddist board is a really great idea
    I'd like to see one :)

Then we can be at one with the boards !

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'd like to widen the charter a little, I dont know that we have as many buddhists here as Pagans or Christians.
    Would Eastern Religions do? Eastern Philosophy?

Can you find 5 buddhists or interested people to support your request (the usualy votes-for-hire will be ignored , as they usually are btw :) ).

DeV.

• Advertisement

I'd rather not widen the charter, DeVore. While some reference to Confucianism or Hinduism might legitimately arise (as reference to Buddhism or Islam might on the Christianity forum), I'd like this forum to focus on the teachings of Gotama Siddhattha and the manifestations of those teachings in the world and our lives. There really isn't any such thing as "Eastern Religions". Where do you stop? Japanese Shinto? Siberian Shamanism? Papuan Animism? Vaishnavite vs Shaivite Hinduism? On a forum open to all of those, discussion could focus on the right way to do pûja to Ganesh, or Vedic fire sacrifices. I think the Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eightfold Path is enough. If there is interest in other topics, we will learn of it soon enough. I'd like the charter to stick to Buddhism. There is a lot in that topic alone.

I don't know what "votes for hire" are. I didn't ask Sceptre or JimHenson to post their support, though they have. I did announce the idea on the Paganism board, but I didn't "hire" Talliesin to express his support. So that seems to be 1 proposer + 3 supporters, meaning we only need one more. :-)

There are 3,894 Buddhists reported in the 2002 Census of Ireland. Neo-Pagans are not listed, though they are doubtless somewhere in the 8,920 "Other stated religion" respondants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I'm not a Buddhist but a board would be a good idea.

Thumbs up etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Good idea. Moi endorses.

edit: and i'm not a vote for hire, I would like to learn more about this and learn from someones personal opinion rather than some other websites.

That being one proposer and five supporters, I guess we have a new forum. :) What next?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Thumbs up

vote for hire, but hey - it's passed muster!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I just dont see the place coming down with Buddhist and I dont want the next person who has a thing for Shinto to come along and quote census takings at me about how many of them there are.
    Also, its not a matter of getting 5 supporters and its automatically passed. 5 Supporters gets you considered.

All the same I think its better to try and maybe fail or maybe succeed then to not try, since I have no MAJOR objection to it.

I hope I'm wrong but I see this being a dead forum after an initial flurry unless you can organise Buddhists to come and post. Oh yeah, I'm picking you for mod, I know you suggested it but like, I dont see anyone else around here with more experience (and no, having burned incense once and smoked a joint doesnt count! :) )

I'll create it tomorrow, its late.

DeV.

Well, I put in the census info because you wondered how many Buddhists there were. ;)

I don't know how much interest there will be on this forum. It wouldn't be my expectation that everyone who posts there would be a Buddhist – many people might just be interested in it.

I'm certainly glad that you have no major objections to the discussion of one of the world's major religions though. ;)

I've done up a Charter which I'll post to the list as soon as it's created. Thanks, DeVore.

Dont feel hard done by, you should go and see how much trouble the Christians had to go through to get their board. :)

The pagans had an existing community list so they got theirs easier because they could show an existing community for it.

There'll be a scientology Boards on boards when I'm in my cold cold grave btw. Just in case anyones wondering.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Scientology Aims:
    A civilization without insanity, without criminals and without war, where the able can prosper and honest beings can have rights, and where man is free to rise to greater heights, are the aims of Scientology.

Hey devore what do you think about a forum for...........................:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by DeVore
    (the usualy votes-for-hire will be ignored , as they usually are btw :) ).
    Dunno if I'm one of those (it's been quite a while since I supported a board without having a good intention of using it). In case I am:D, genuinely interested in this one. if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

Nice one on the scientology comment btw. With due respect to scientologists, religions based on credit ratings can't really be taken seriously by sane people.

I thought it would be tomorrow at the earliest before the requests for a Scientology Board began... I really did...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Dev you had to see that comeing :D

Btw i didnt even know what Scientology was till you said it so ignore me (if you arent already) :D

and with a 50 page F.a.q section of their site im not going to bother learning lol

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think it's a good idea.

There'll be a scientology Boards on boards when I'm in my cold cold grave btw. Just in case anyones wondering.
    Now they're going to think that the application procedure is:
    1. Kill DeVore
    2. Cover-up murder of DeVore
    3. Propose board
    4. Find five supporters

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Yoda
    I don't know what "votes for hire" are. I didn't ask Sceptre or JimHenson to post their support, though they have. I did announce the idea on the Paganism board, but I didn't "hire" Talliesin to express his support.
    I think that DeV is referring to a common occurance where people will hire themselves to the hypothetical new board, in the hope of becoming a mover-and-shaker in the new territory.
    Can I be Mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Well it worked for me. :D

BRING ON THE DANCING SMILEYS OF DOOM!

:D! :D! :D! :D! :D! :D! :D! :D! :D!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

wow, thats really lame amp!

I support the buddhist board.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

It'd have been even lamer if not for some stupid limitation in how many smileys I'm allowed.

Feer not. The Dancing Smileys of Doom will have their day.

Btw, I'm all for this board. If I had to pick a religion or be shot, I'd pick Buddhism. Or paganism. Are buddhists allowed to drink and eat any kind of meat, and inject drugs? Nevermind... I'll ask the interweb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I suggest we have a "Religions / Faiths" subsection to society, in which go Christianity, Paganism and Buddhism if it gets going.

Aye, I suspect that that will probably happen.

does anyone else think that with their beliefs in reincarnation the buddhists should have t-shirts saying "been there, done that" or "will be there, will do that"?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But what if they pay for their ad.s?

No.

DeV.

I would object to "Religions / Faiths" as a subsection title. "Religion" might do, though it is imprecise.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement