Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADD COMMUNITY - Buddhism

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I reckon we should set up a Boards Scientology sekrit society for trolling purposes and then Dev can go a research it and... umm

/me buys a Buddhist T-shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Scientology applications would probably be more like:
    1. Kill DeVore
    2. Cover-up murder of DeVore
    3. Propose board
    4. Charge five people so they can support us

Anyway, can we have a scuba board ...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Evil Phil
    Anyway, can we have a scuba board ...
    *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by DeVore
    Dont feel hard done by, you should go and see how much trouble the Christians had to go through to get their board. :)

Yea but they always were persecuted. -.-;;
    Now they're going to think that the application procedure is:

More like...

1. Sue the pants off Devore
    2. Own boards.ie
    3. Make thier own board
    4. Get 5 people to spam the sh!t out of you with mails trying to sell you crap water diets that protect you against radioactive fallout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

DeVore, on http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=41 the Buddhism board's subtitle has been left off. It's to be "For the discussion of Buddhist issues". (With a small "i" in "issues". I don't know why the Christian "Issues" are capitalized. :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Originally posted by Yoda
    It's to be "For the discussion of Buddhist issues". (With a small "i" in "issues". I don't know why the Christian "Issues" are capitalized.
    Hmm. Should we have something about title case in the cultural requirements standard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

congrats on becoming mod and all, but did you really feel it necessary to post on other boards pimping your boards? somehow this strikes me as wrong and stupid. people find the boards they want generally, and i'd rather not have a post in the middle of a forum that is completely unrelated saying "Buddhism forum now, come one come all" type thing.

i deleted it so you know. if you have a problem with that you can PM me and whatever, but meh.

Neil

Please don't be rude. "Pimping" indeed.

DeVore expressed concern that there would not be much interest in the Buddhism forum. I did a simple search and I found that in three forums there had been reasonably interesting discussions on the subject of Buddhism; your forum was one of them. It seemed appropriate to make a brief announcement of invitation to interested readers of those three forums.

I did not post to your forum because of my thrill at being a Mod. I posted because I detected valid interest in the subject matter on your board.

As Mod, the simplest thing for you to would have simply been to lock the thread, so that people could follow the link if they wished. Discussion of the link would have been inappropriate, I agree.

I am sorry if this seems to break in some horrific way some unspoken protocol, but the boards are a very big place, and it is easy for people to miss boards when they come online.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Originally posted by sceptre
    *cough*

*cough*

Blah, blah, blah.

Hey next time, why not ask first and pimp later like a good little robot?

And maybe turn your arrogance chip down a notch or seven.

HTH!

• Advertisement

I don't think I've been particularly arrogant. I think I was brief and polite, and I do not seem to have disrupted CTYI, Politics, or Humanities particularly.

Thanks again for your kind and thoughtful words.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Evil Phil
    *cough*
    Ah.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I don't think I've been particularly arrogant. I think I was brief and polite, and I do not seem to have disrupted CTYI, Politics, or Humanities particularly.

Thanks again for your kind and thoughtful words.

Don't forget your post in Christianity..., stop stirring the pot.

The point is not whether you're post disrupted the forums, but the fact that it's off topic and/or annoying.

The fact that I have a link to Pix'n'Mix below my nick is enough, people can realize "hey, there's a forum I don't know" just from the fact that I post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Without trying to be too cheeky coupling this statement:
    Originally posted by amp
    Hey next time, why not ask first and pimp later like a good little robot?
    With a nice little slag about arrogance seems a bit, eh, can't quite remember the phrase, but there's definately a pot in it somewhere.

Hate to piss on your parade, but I've had a quick look through the Buddhist forum and I only see evidence of one Buddhist. The moderator.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure the poll there will tell all eventually :) .

Originally posted by DapperGent
    Without trying to be too cheeky coupling this statement:

With a nice little slag about arrogance seems a bit, eh, can't quite remember the phrase, but there's definately a pot in it somewhere.

Slagging someone doesn't make me arrogant. Nor does calling someone arrogant mean I'm claiming I'm not arrogant. I am fairly arrogant but you don't see me posting to other forums advertising boards that I mod.

Cult, the forum is for discussion of Buddhist issues. There is no requirement that anyone participating be a Buddhist. (It helps that the moderator is, I suppose.)

Amp, give it a rest. Ta.

Cult, the forum is for discussion of Buddhist issues.

I'm curious as to how one can discuss Buddhist issues if they are not, in fact, Buddhist.

I would find it quite difficult to discuss issues related to paganism considering I am not pagan.

Similarily I doubt people who are not Catholic would have problems relating to any issues I might have with my religion.

Simple curiosity might suffice. About, for instance, the Dalai Lama, karma, reincarnation, meditation, Buddhism in Burmese and Tibetan politics. Buddhist economics. Comparison between Buddhist and Christian mysticism.

Plenty of people post to both Paganism and Christianity who are not either Pagan or Christian.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The Board has been created. Charter discussion regarding whats appropriate can be sent there. Everything else looks like it could go to dev/null. Therefore this thread is closed.

DeV.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement