Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unicode again

Options
  • 01-08-2003 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

Please enable UTF-8 instead of Latin-1 encoding.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Look on the bright side, at least anything encoded in Latin 1 is (when decoded from that legacy encoding) in NFC automatically.

Yes UTF-8 is great.
    Yes it would be great if boards.ie used it for transmission.
    Yes its on the to do list.
    No you won't see it any time soon.

I'd be happy if I could just get it using Latin 1 properly for starters. Actually that's the main thing that will make switching to UTF-8 tricky; if we had proper use of Latin 1 (or proper use of any encoding) we could stick a filter on the output that would re-encode efficiently on the fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Talliesin ?v?ca: (That's ûvâca with macrons, not circumflexes. Sanskrit, natch.)
    Yes UTF-8 is great.
    Sine qua non.
    Yes it would be great if boards.ie used it for transmission.
    It would meet the expectations and aspirations of NSAI/ICTSCC/SC4, too. ;)
    Yes it's on the to do list.
    Whose? Yours? ;)
    No you won't see it any time soon.
    (Sulks. Sniffles. Sobs.)

When then? 2003-10-01? 2004-04-01?
    Actually that's the main thing that will make switching to UTF-8 tricky; if we had proper use of Latin 1 (or proper use of any encoding) we could stick a filter on the output that would re-encode efficiently on the fly.
    Odd that this software (which I gather is made by other people and configured for the boards) isn't more compliant with W3C recommendations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Yoda, try searching here for UTF-8.

adam

Nice one, Dahamsta. The very first thread that comes up is about UTF-8 problems going from v2.29 to v2.30 of vBulletin. Scott MacVicar of Glasgow, who is a vBulletin Developer, responded and even gave his e-mail address. So.... Talliesin... off you go.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Boards is encoded in Latin? When did I learn latin?...

Ah right I remember, it was around the time I learned the phrase: "When it's done".

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Yoda
    Whose? Yours? ;)
    I got a promise out of Regi on the matter.
    Odd that this software (which I gather is made by other people and configured for the boards) isn't more compliant with W3C recommendations.
    Sad to say, but I'm more surprised when something does comply with W3C recommendations.
    In fairness in this case though:
    1. At the time of the first incarnation of the predecessor of the product we use here Latin-1 was the HTML default. (Charmod wasn't even a twinkle in Martin Dürst et als eyes, and indeed I think it even preceded the way that the internal character set of HTML is UCS even if a legacy encoding is used in transmission)
    2. Installing from scratch you can now have UTF-8 going pretty easily, it's dealing with the million or so archived posts that would be the biggest issue for boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Talliesin
    In fairness in this case though:
    1. Installing from scratch you can now have UTF-8 going pretty easily, it's dealing with the million or so archived posts that would be the biggest issue for boards.ie

I'm curious how this would be a problem? It should be backward compatible (at least for Engish)?

It wouldn't be if you wrote façade, naïve, coöperate, détente, or a score or so other words which properly bear diacritics. Not to speak of messages in the first official language of the State.

Originally posted by Hobbes
    I'm curious how this would be a problem? It should be backward compatible (at least for Engish)?
    It should be backward compatible with US-ASCII. I can't think of any language which can be written using US-ASCII.

Advertisement