Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turn Interview Clarifications...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

Quick points

1. Community stations are great, they sound **** most of the time but sometimes it's were people get ther break. I'm sure Pete Reed Remembers doing a Community slot on west dublin community radio right?

2. I think ollie cole should maybe have kept his mouth shut unless he had an idea of what he was tlaking about. I mean even i know that. Anyway i would'nt like him to speak on my behalf thats for sure.

And as for Brian D's professionalism comments (i think he referenced the people headhunted by the commercial stations).

I think this probabaly showed that Phantom was a bit more mainstream than previously thought. Anyway i'd never switch on 2fm or today fm cept when Xfm goes out of reception range and even then i'd probabaly be playing a cd.

As the saying goes, if you can't beat them join them. Personally, i think, it's all down to money and very little music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Raggamuffin - I don't get the link between professionalism and being mainstream! Being a professional presenter dosn't necessarily mean that you take a mainstream approach to music or broadcasting. Just a minor detail!

This debate has gone slightly off topic. However since it is still here - Personally, I believe NEAR FM is the only worthwhile community station that fulfills its remit and actually provides a full day of broadcasting. It should be a shining light to the other community stations who occupy valuable FM frequencies in the city. Community radio in Ireland is in need of essential overhaul and a rethink of its ethos and become more progressive and provocative (not neccesarily in a political sense). In Ireland, community radio is "nice radio for nice people" and lacks any depth of opinion or programming. Programming is very much rooted in the past - Reithian ethics of "Inform, Educate and Entertain" without doing either particularly well. . Unfortunately, most of these stations in Dublin spend more time off the air then on. I was particularly impressed with community radio in Australia and perhaps the relevant bodies should take some inspiration from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

And I don't think AMARC going to the wall is going to do any favours in terms of trying to unify or at least standardise community radio throughout europe though!

Oh wait I just noticed you said Australia, not Austria!...:(

My point still stands though.

I agree with your Reithian comment Brian. I can only speak for NEAR fm when i say that we do try. EG, we're broadcasting a Read Write Now series at the moment. I haven't actually heard it though to see how it would work on the radio!

Community radio does need a kick in the ass but frankly it's a bit like rural Ireland - it's always gonna be hicky. It'll never be sound any way snazzy. I think it's ingrained. it's a tough one. The management are smart people though. It's not like they don't know how it sounds sometimes. I know an awful lot of people really appreciate community radio though. And that's why it's worthwhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Kittykitty

Pete

I think you slagging off Ollie is very wrong. I am a Turn fan and anyone else is will know that Ollie and gang are huge supporters of Phantom.
    Turn always included a Phantom logo on all there sold out music center show posters and always bigged them up in Hotpress and credits on there releases.
    It was through Turn that i found out about Phantom.
    If you read the whole interview you will see that Ollie was asked about Phantom and what he thought. He spoke about what he was told by someone else, that is how he formed his opinion, there is nothing wrong with that. He was obviously told that, it is of no benifit to him or the band to put Phantom down and nor would they as they are big Phantom supporters and have been on various Phantom shows many times.

Pete in your second post where you refer to Ollie as an asshole.
    That is just plain ****ing stupid and much worse than anything he said.
    He was asked a question and how the **** is he supposed to know the actual facts of getting a radio license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭eddiesheridan

Pete all I did was ask a couple of questions that I think needed to be answered. Asking questions insinuate nothing and I expressed no opinion of my own. I have no wish to get embroiled in an argument about this but I wanted to know the score with regards to censorship. I asked the questions , I got the answers.
    I know this forum is not a democracy and editing is sometimes needed by either the poster or the moderator and wanted to find out what had happened here.

Cheers
    Eddie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hello all,

Dont you just love when apart from going way off topic, these threads get out of hand too. Ive wanted to delete it for days but more good stuff just keeps coming up. Let me deal with the bits one by one.

Firstly, Eddie, I was jokin for jaysus sake. Thats why there was a big :D at the end of the sentence. Youre right the board is not a democracy, and absolutely you have the right to question moderation decisions.

Roxy, Sandi, Brian, Ragamuffin. The community radio debate is a fascinating one and particularly so in this country. Of the Dublin community stations, only Near FM has made any real impact. I have worked in community radio and there are good people out there working in it ("professional" or not) and of course there are people who are rubbish. Question is, where do you draw the line. If someone is rubbish but enthusiastic, do you give them access because of their enthusiasm or do you have the resources to train them? Difficult one, and one which would really be helped by debate within our regulation system. Not a feckin chance of that then!

The professionalism debate is another one again. What qualifies someone to be "professional". Is it vocal style? Knowledge of format? Accessibility to audience? Think it depends on the type of radio to be honest.

KittyKitty, I have to be serious here for a minute. No, I did not slag off Ollie at all. I have great respect for Ollie and for Turn and Phantom and Turn have always enjoyed a very good relationship of mutual support. All I did was corrected some published statements. Just because they were just based on false information he had been given by someone else, doesnt mean that they dont need to be corrected wouldnt you say? If something wrong is published, it should be corrected, regardless of intent or the information it was based on.

And no, I didnt call Ollie an asshole at all! Mingus got rid of a number of his postings and they contained a question asking who was an asshole, me or Ollie. So, I was standing up for the guy! Confusion caused by Mingus' deleted posts there.

Jaysus, now, hope all thats cleared up!

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Engulfophobia_m

i suggested before that we catalogue all record shops in dublin....why dont we do the same with community stations.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 psychotic joe

no offence to anyone, but this is one seriously depressing thread. all that needless arguin and fightin. relax. feel the love. :D

Advertisement