Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System Crash Problem

• 01-08-2003 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Ok guys maybe it's clarification that i'm looking for but here's my story.

My system:

Win ME :(
    AMD Athlon 1ghz
    256mb PC3200 DDR 400 UNBRANDED RAM
    Abit KD7 RAID mobo
    PNY GeForce FX 5600 256mb DDR
    250W psu (which i reckon is my problem)
    Plug and play monitor

Ok here's what happens.

Any time I go to play either HL or any of my Quake 3 engine-based games, I can play for a while before the monitor just goes blank and the LED begins to flash. I can then reboot and start again but eventually the game will crash. This only happens in those games. In morrowwind and U2, the computer is likely to freeze occasionally. I can play CM4 for hours and its because CM4 isn't as graphicly intensive that i think the problem is the psu.

I have nvidia drivers 44.03 installed at the moment, but i have also tried 43.51 and 43.45, using both detonator destroyer and "Nasty File Remover" to clear each previous driver installation.

Now what i think is happening is that the FX card is not getting enough power when playing graphic intensive games. Altho i'm probably wrong here. Also the temp inside the computer reaches mid-50's about 5 minutes after start up...... I do intend adding extra fans next week and after reading the sticky i'll upgrade the psu too but is this the problem or is it something else?

Also a thing of note. When i go control panel -> system -> device manager -> monitors I have both a default monitor and a plug and play monitor in the tab. I've tried disabling but it still crashes. I've tried removing one or the other but every time i restart the computer automatically detects the one i removed. I'm baffled by this tbh.

I've gone through guru 3d but there's noting on the site or in the forums to help me.

Any advice or insights would be appreciated.

Also when I take the power cord out from the computer the BIOS reseets itself. I take it i just need to get a new battery right? It's just that the mobo is only ~7 months old.

Cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Carnate

IMHO

your right its the power supply, second boot in safe mode and try and delete the monitor your not using, and thirdly.. pls pls change os.. Me even after major bug surgery, is still unstable imho. As to the mother board thats 7 mths old and the bios battery is gone tends to say that the motherboard needs to be checked, as the batteries on motherboards should not die after 7mths unless faulty.

Hope that helps.

Ps. get some cooling fans or get a bigger case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I booted up in safe mode but there were 2 default monitor and 4 plug and play monitor tabs!!! I deleted all but one of the plug and play ones and rebooted but it still found a default monitor :mad:

I'd upgrade to XP but I'm kinda short on the money

I reckon it could be because my mobo is too warm (or maybe it's just plain broken! How would i find that out?). I've just noticed it's 57 and the cpu is 53.5 :(

I'm gonna bring the graph. card back tomorrow and get a replacement. I checked maplins in blanch and they dont have any secondary fans :(

Ok if your Motherboard emp is 57 degrees, you have a big problem, Yes cooling seems to be your problem, as to Maplins having no secondry fans they do, look in the mod section of the store, or ask for the fans with different colors on them, they come in all shapes and sizes.

If your Motherboard is overheating, no changinging of the Vid card is going to make a difference, as well as a different OS.

Do this leave the case top off the pc and boot the pc if the temp is still 57 then u have a faulty Motherboard, if not then its a cooling problem.

Either way you are going to have to change poss a few things.

Im guessing ure using Motherboard monitor 5 or the one that came with the pc?

Hope this helps!

I've got a new psu (300W) and it's doing much better. The temp is still 57 degrees but i'm sure this is due to the fact that my room is abnormally and usually uncomfortably warm anyway. Plus not a lot of air can get to the pc too. i'm looking for ways around this tho but i still reckon i need more fans. It's never gone abouve 57 that i've seen, even after rigourous cm4 playing :)

And I use sisoft sandra to monitor everything. If only it could fix it too eh? Cheers carnate, you're being a big help :)

Glad to help,

But i still have to say that 57 degrees is very high..

one suggestion is to upgrade the cpu fan,

or get a household fan around 20-30 euros and open the box and have it cooling everything.

Cheap way of getting a lower temp :)

Any more probs and just gis a shout!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Get a "lend" of Windows XP Pro from a friend. Then crack it.

Download drivers for your monitor aswell.

Maplins in Jervis Street have graphics card fans (for the GF4 range anyways) ~€20.

Get SIS Sandra (google it), it gives you up to the minute temperatures for Mobo, CPU and Case. Maybe the latest version does graphics cards.. Im still on Sandra 2001 Pro I think.

Originally posted by conZ

Hate to burst your bubble, but if MS find 2 copies of XP with the

same of similar codes both copies WILL get disabled. Trust me i

have seen it demonstrated!

And this does NOT help Q_Ball. its Hardware related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Originally posted by conZ

Download drivers for your monitor aswell.

Maplins in Jervis Street have graphics card fans (for the GF4 range anyways) ~€20.

Get SIS Sandra (google it), it gives you up to the minute temperatures for Mobo, CPU and Case. Maybe the latest version does graphics cards.. Im still on Sandra 2001 Pro I think.

And SiSoftware Sandra Professional 2003 is out now to download for €35 or the standard one for free.

Carnate I've just taken the panel off and put a big fan beside it before reading your post! :D It seems to be working now at a steady 49 for the mobo and 48 for the cpu. Just played over an hour of MOH (the problem game) and it's working fine!!! Now all i need to do is figure out how to keep it like that. Got a fan in maplins that doesnt fit so i'm gonna need to change it. Maybe get a chassis fan?

I'm running sandra 2001. dang helpful it is.

And no, i'll save for XP ;)

Cheers guys you've been a big help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

as a temporary measure u cud take off pc cover .open a window in room., to help cooling pc until u get a new fan fitted ,,specify what grahics card u have when ur buying fan,,,the staff in peats r very knowledgeable they,ll tell u what fan to buy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement