Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fair speeds on iolbb

Options
  • 02-08-2003 4:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭

i just ordered my iolbb today and since they say speeds of UPTO 512 kbps, i was wondering what is a fair speed to expect. i'm in north dublin, finglas to be exact.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

hrmm your on the resedential one I expect , well pings are consistently low.

why dont you ping boards
    I dont know I suppose you could expect to get at least 350 could be nethign really pending on contention ratio in your area and people connected etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

yeah, i'll be on the residential alright. i expect the stuff wont arrive for about 2 weeks so i'll ping boards as soon as i can and post the results. i doubt the contention in my area is bad, but i'll find out soon enough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

What's the ping address here?

It depends, if you have all 48 customers on the same line at once, and they are downloading, the most you can expect is 10.8K, which translates into an actual download speed of 1.3K.

This translates into a worse level of service then 56K dial-up.
    Did they tell you these facts when you signed up?

It all depends on how many people are using your DSL line, and as time goes on and more people sign up....you get the picture.

i was aware to an extent of the contention issues, but it seems once things get sucky, the provider buys more bandwidth to sort things. but if things get really bad, i'll be on to them pronto. at least we still have our dial-up anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

I wouldnt be to worried m8 about dload speeds.. since ihave got it I have got dload speeds constant of 53kbs ...

nice one ADREN, that's a reassuring. i'm not gonna bitch about richard like others have(in fairness, i think you got it bad), but there's alot of scare-mongering going on and i think it's unfair. iol genuinely seem to be trying to provide the best service they can, and they're experiencing teething problems which they're ironing out, just like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Originally posted by Richard Dower
    What's the ping address here?
    Just go to start -> Run then type cmd in the box and press enter. On the screen that appears, type ping www.boards.ie -n 20. It will then give you a result with the lowest ping, the maximum and the average.
    Originally posted by Richard Dower
    It depends, if you have all 48 customers on the same line at once, and they are downloading, the most you can expect is 10.8K, which translates into an actual download speed of 1.3K.

This translates into a worse level of service then 56K dial-up.
    Did they tell you these facts when you signed up?

It all depends on how many people are using your DSL line, and as time goes on and more people sign up....you get the picture.
    I think this is the most common misconception about contention. The contention is 48:1 or something similar, but the pipe that connects the 48 users together is not a 512k pipe. It would be more in the region of 5000k -- If it were only a 512k pipe, even another user browsing the web would affect the performance of your connection. I don't know for sure what the pipe is on IOL Broadband so I can't post minimum speeds or the like, but they will probably be along the lines of 56k or 64k.

The pipe at the exchange is limited to 2MB per DSL line, and speeds are in the region of 53k-54k for me, most every time. I don't see many 64k transfer speeds though.

Maybe i need to "tweak" something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Sorry, I didn't mean 64kilobytes per second, I meant Kilobits. So you divide that by 8 to get the actual download speed, which in the case of 64kilobits, it would be 8 KBs a second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

2MB / 48 = 41.6kB/s (332kb)

So basically the above should be the minimum speed you can receive. This however will change as RADSL speeds differ (go as low as 256kb) depending on certain factors such as distance from exchange, line quality and contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

RADSL be teh gay tbh.

Go adsl :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

No signs of contention on the Finglas exchange yet (unless things have radically changed in the last few days while I was away :)). You should be able to get over 50KB/s unless you're really far from the exchange.

where exactly is the exchange located?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Not got a clue where the exchange is. Spent ages looking for the damn thing with Google but no success.

Are you living on the North Road by any chance? If so, you should be fine. Probably max at 52-55KB/s unless there are problems with your line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭steviem

I'm in Finglas area and having no problems whatsoever, great download speeds here. Don't be spoiling it for me now!!;)

won't be spoiling it for you too soon, they were on to me today saying my line isn't good enough for bb, luckily i've got a second line coming in. he checked that and said it's fine, but they have to send out the forms again cos i've to sign off for the new no. gonna be abot 3 weeks in total i reckon

Advertisement