Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

disconnecting problem

Options
  • 02-08-2003 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭

Dunno if this is happening to everyone, but my netsource rdsl connection from last night has been disconnecting, then after a while reconnecting. I taught it was just me but today its gone again, I started pingplotter and found I was getting as far as the second hop. Anyone having similiar problems?

problem.jpg

When the problem occurs, the router stays in a state of 'connected' ans still gets an IP. Gotta be a netsource problem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I think it is a netsource problem. Last night on irc i saw 4 netsource ppl getting disconnected at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Beck Amerdam

Yup, I went dead too twice last night. You can always check if its a Netsource problem or a local problem by checking to see if netsource.ie works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Lockup

Had a problem last nite aswell. The link light on my router was still active to the exchange but everything was dead. Reset the router same thing happened 10 mins later. First time this type of problem occured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Originally posted by Lockup
    Had a problem last nite aswell. The link light on my router was still active to the exchange but everything was dead. Reset the router same thing happened 10 mins later. First time this type of problem occured.
    Exactly what happens to me ...and it happens lots.
    I've mostly assumed it was my router kicking up but ... I think I'll try netsource.ie next couple times just to know for sure.
    The link light on my router *always* stays lit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Rancid
    I think I'll try netsource.ie next couple times just to know for sure

I'd be more inclined to try ping your gateway instead because as far as I remember, I could not ping netsource.ie last time the problem happened

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

give em a call monday morning, tell em whats happening, and more than likely its a problem with the gateway, it could be overused... Just keep ringing til it gets solved, or if it isn't a major problem (i.e. you don't game over it) then just give em an e-mail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

I've had a few instances where all of a sudden no packets will go to sites outside of Ireland. Reconnecting always sorts it out, but that's small comfort if I'm dropped in the middle of a CS match, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Two friends of mine are currently having this problem. They are getting dropped every 5 mins and cannot connect to boards or servers outside ireland.

Lads, if anyone gets an answer for this could you post it? Im having a similar eircom problem but noone else seems to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

This seems to be a routing issue that is ongoing. it seems to affect anything outside of Netsource's network. For the last 6 minutes it has been up and down. You line isn't disconnecting its just traffic stops flowing :/, pain in the arse like, keeps knocking me off my ssh sessions ...

I'd advise and ask people to email netsource about this, dont just complain here.

Paul

p.s. I'm sending an email in a few moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Yep, got it earlier today for about a half hour, then came back on about an hour ago and i've been getting problems since :confused:

Will give them a ring tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Exact same problem here, interestingly ..sites like tomshardware.com , theregister.co.uk, ireland.com and met.ie all were available no problems...anyone care to hazard a quess what these sites have in common?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Two friends of mine are currently having this problem. They are getting dropped every 5 mins and cannot connect to boards or servers outside ireland.

I'm having similar probs... disconnected about every 8 - 10 mins.
    Couldn't get to boards.ie for the last 40 mins but could get to Google and a couple other sites.
    ICQ and Email are fine.... MSN won't connect.

I've just emailed support@netsource and I intend to phone them in the morning, too.
    :mad:

irc is the only thing semi stable here atm...maybe its time to scare the natives..where do i find the boards folk on irc?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Originally posted by Longfield
    irc is the only thing semi stable here atm...maybe its time to scare the natives..where do i find the boards folk on irc?
    Try #boards.ie

Which network?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Quakenet

well from monitoring my connection over the last while I think the problem lies with the router 212.17.32.101 (rt001kil.netsource.ie)

Thats the one which has been killing my connection since Thursday and today when my connection was semi stable, I was getting spikes of lag from that particular router

maybe it needs a reboot or a kick

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭²°°³webkev²°°³

im getting abnormally cut off too..
    its really annoying when your trying to download something, I hope it goes away soon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by 2°°3webkev2°°3

its really annoying when your trying to download something, I hope it goes away soon

Get a download resumer program :)

I'm still having problems this morning with getting to some sites and with random disconnections.:mad:

I phoned Netsource support and they seemed unaware of any problems over the weekend but they said they had several calls this morning reporting similar disconnections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Rancid, same story here. A number of websites are periodically unavailable, but regarding disconnection - did you actually lose connection? When I couldn't access boards.ie / etc I did a tracert or two and it got as far as Netsource, but no further. Next time it goes down, see if you can get to Netsource's website.

Mixie, the weird thing is... that sometimes I can get to netsource.ie and sometimes not.
    Other weird thing is that when I can get to boards.ie and an English forum that I use regularly, there are other (Irish and English) sites that I *can't* access.
    So it seems like when I *am* connected... it's an "either/or" situation.
    Since Sunday night I haven't been able to get to all the sites I normally use all at the same time.
    Sometimes email is affected... sometimes irc, icq and msn.

At all times my router's connection light stays lit.
    And I've discovered that if I just wait 5 mins or so.... I'm connected again... albeit with limited site-availability.

Anyway... I await Netsources's response.:(

A "routing issue", they said.

Everything seems ok since about 10:30....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

it looks like its back to normal. if normal means pings jumping to 200 during peak hours tonight then everything should be fine ;)

adnans

Originally posted by adnans
    if normal means pings jumping to 200 during peak hours tonight then everything should be

lovely :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Originally posted by adnans
    it looks like its back to normal. if normal means pings jumping to 200 during peak hours tonight then everything should be fine ;)

adnans
    I'm thinking of moving over to Netsource and just cancelling my IBB account. Are the pings very unreliable with that service too? The constant ping spikes are the main reason I want to move away from IBB, but I would be fairly pissed if I moved onto another service with crappy ping.

If this is too off topic, anyone on Netsource mind PM'ing me a ping www.boards.ie -n 20 and maybe a ping to a UK server? And also let me know how they have found the ping to be on the service generally?

Thanks a lot! :)

Serb

just look around Serbian, netsource is not reliable for low pings

Originally posted by Serbian
    I'm thinking of moving over to Netsource and just cancelling my IBB account. Are the pings very unreliable with that service too? The constant ping spikes are the main reason I want to move away from IBB, but I would be fairly pissed if I moved onto another service with crappy ping.

If this is too off topic, anyone on Netsource mind PM'ing me a ping www.boards.ie -n 20 and maybe a ping to a UK server? And also let me know how they have found the ping to be on the service generally?

Thanks a lot! :)

Serb

Pinging www.boards.ie [217.114.166.147] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=58
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=58
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=58
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=58
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=58
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=58
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=49ms TTL=58
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 217.114.166.147:
    Packets: Sent = 20, Received = 20, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 22ms, Maximum = 49ms, Average = 27ms

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Originally posted by Longfield
    Exact same problem here, interestingly ..sites like tomshardware.com , theregister.co.uk, ireland.com and met.ie all were available no problems...anyone care to hazard a quess what these sites have in common?

they could have been in netsource's cache before the network problems started (or do they have one?)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ando
    well from monitoring my connection over the last while I think the problem lies with the router 212.17.32.101 (rt001kil.netsource.ie)

what can I say, I love it when I'm right :D lol

got this email from support @ netsource:
    We
    found that the problem over the weekend was down to one of routers on
    our network and we have resolved this problem now

Advertisement