Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router Died

• 02-08-2003 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

My ADSL router has gone tits up. It is a Linksys BEFDSR41W. When I power it up, all the switch lights remain permently lit up and the diagnostic light flashes on and off. It then remains like this permently.

I have tried anything I can think off, simple stuff and switching it on and off, holding down the reset button and so on. The manual suggests reflashing the firmware but it is not possilbe to do this as the router hangs on start up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

How long did you hold the reset button?

30 seconds will restore to factory settings, but not the original firmware. How did you try to reflash it btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Normally there is an interface you access using your web browser. I cannot access that either because the router is not booting.

There is a program you can download to flash the firmware remotely. That still might work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

I had something like that happen with my 3Com router. I was able to flash it though because the first thing the router does when it boots up is see if you're trying to flash it through the serial port... The firmware update came with an exe that when you run it, it waits for you to reboot the router so it can update it. Might be something similar for you.

Also, does it have a serial port that you can connect to with Hyperterminal? My router outputs a lot of useful messages through it while booting..

It doesnt have a Serial port unfortunately. We tried the remote thing, the router will no respond.

• Advertisement

Linksys is good for it's technical support. If they can't get you to fix it they should RMA it, so don't worry too much, and keep in touch with them.

Tried to get onto their live support thing earlier, closed till Monday it seems.

What is RMA?

If you can't get it repaired on your own, you ship it to them, they'll repair it, and if they can't they'll replace it.

It can be a lengthy process but they have a good track record.

Hmmm so ur talking 2 or 10 weeks then.. Too impatient for that.

Chances are they'll be able to fix it from your end though. I had a problem with UPnP, that they gladly helped me with. They also helped me fix a corrupt firmware when a flash went wrong. But the router was responsive so I was able to reflash.

• Advertisement

Deadly, thanks for that!

Ah stress. I need broadband!!! Anyone got a spare DSL router or modem they are tryin to offload?

Advertisement