Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Generals forcing a hard reboot every 10-20mins..

Options
  • 02-08-2003 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

During a game of generals, out of nothing, my computer screen would go black, the sound would turn off,and nothing would respond. The only way to get out of this is by a hard reboot, and its,needless to say, quite ****ing annoying.

Does anybody have any idea on how to solve this, bar a reformat? This has happened in some games before, but none as common as generals. I've reinstalled it, and directx, and got the latest dets from nvidia.

tou shiney gold stars goes to whomever helps me solve this crisis.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Overclocking on the CPU or GeForce Card?

Does it only happen with generals?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

It happens with battlefield too, but not to the extent of generals.. and no, not overclocking a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

I had a similar problem to you Tellox, my gfx was overheating, despite the fact that I hadn't overclocked it. I hate to say it, but try underclocking your gfx to as low as it will go, and see if that makes any difference whatsoever. If it does, get some ram heatsinks.

If it's software though
    format c: /y

I cant get fckin mammyboard monitor working either, keeps telling me Im at 0'C , so I cant see if its an overheating problem..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

swiss you still having that prob with your system, last time we played generals you had it , im still thiking its your gfx card , hmmmm since ive gone, have you done anything about it, personally if it is your gfx card giving you tourble then your new case should do the trick, otherwise if it doesnt im thinking its the gfx chipset to the mobo thats the prob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

I'd have to agree, sounds like overheating. Generals fairly taxes the system as does BF1942.

Try the suggestions people err suggested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

aye but swiss got a new cooler case , im just wondering if he is still currently gettingn the same prob, probably the most annoying this is when getting a few together to play c&C generals then next thing you know "swiss has left the game" agghh! talk about unreliable allies!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I used to get the same prob with an old Voodoo 2 when I ran games.

If the system was just freshly power off from cold, a game would run for 20 mins or so, then it would hang.. After that, it would hang every 5 mins if I restarted it.

I reckon it definetly overheating

got mbm working, and checked my computer temp while running generals.. as its in a ****e case, its running at 52'C .. Im guessing thats enough to cause it to lock up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Its not your normal running temperature that you need to look at its what the temperature is at load after 10-20 mins. If this rises too hight it will give the symptoms you have.

My PC runs at 52ish under normal conditions but at 57 under max load. (overclocked and damaged heatsink, before damage it ran at 32 under load :| ) I got a good case so the cpu temperature doesnt rise much.

52 degrees is ok but you gotta find its laod temperature.

• Advertisement
Advertisement