Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone got a TV, FREEVIEW box working in the Republic?..

Options
  • 02-08-2003 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

I keep noticing more and more publicity about FreeView. The new digital broadcasts that can be received via a freeview box and a normal TV Aerial.

Apparently, these receivers can be bought outright and no suscription is involved.

Has anyone in the ROI managed to obtain and use this type of system. Apparently they work very in Enniskillen but me local TV supplier told me that as yet they do not pick up the channels in the Republic. This I find hard to accept?..

I live in Donegal, any suggestions very welcome.

Thanks,

Paddy20.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Right, this reply will be no help to you, but I'm getting one in England, it's 99 pounds flat charge for the box. No sub charges.. the only other cost is buying a good Digital Aerial. In other words you can't us a metal coat hanger stuck in the back. I would guess that you might be able to pick it up in Donegal. Don't trust me, go in to a electic shop and ask. Go to a sky shop and ask them, then watch as the force Sky Digital upon you;)

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Thanks John,

The Sky Digital trap is what I am trying to get out of?.. in fact I saw a Freeview box on QVC via Sky. That is the one I was thinking I might get hold of and try it out for thirty days. If it works in my area of Donegal i.e. The Twin -Towns of Ballybofey & Stranorlar, about 14 miles from Strabane in County Tyrone where they have a Transmitter using freeview digital broadcasts that I am hoping the freeview box will be able to pick up. Thereby, saving me a small fortune in Sky subs every month.

Brougher Mountain is the transmitter, I think?..

All the best.

Paddy20.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I understand a TV3 arial will do the job. Not 100% sure about that though. There are people in Ireland using the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Well, what do you know. After a bit more digging and the help of some great people, my problem has been solved.

I have now cancelled my monthly subscription to Sky Family package. Then I unplugged the digibox from the mains took out the Skycard and re-inserted it [upsidedown!] then powered it up again.

Now, I am receiving 59 TV Sat channels and 44 Radio, a total of 103 channels all Free to View or FTA. This more than satisfies my needs.

Plus no more subs of €26.99c a month being paid to Sky every month from my bank, for only aout forty [40] channels.

Paddy20.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yea, Stephen/munch told me if you buy an Irish free view card to go into a sky box it works too.

John

• Advertisement
Advertisement