Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd Win 98 SE monkey business...

Options
  • 02-08-2003 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

The other night I left a download manager on with the specification that it would power down the pc when the download finished. When I got up the next day the pc was in a state of paralysis. It looked like the OS was booting up (just before password entry) but was very much locked up. I rebooted, and got the message that a file that windows needs was missing/deleted. "nwlink.vxd" is the culprit. It suggests that I uninstall any related program fully to remedy this. Pressing any key gets me past this and windows loads up fairly regularly, so I didn't think much of it. However, it continues to do this, and I'm also experiencing a different problem...

The second problem is that when I install new programs, even though it says they are to be put into C:/Program Files/theprogramname they don't appear there. I then of course have to go looking for the individual .exe to run them which needless to say is annoying. I also got a couple of blue screens of death today, telling me explorer and mediaplayer caused a "general protection fault".

So, any ideas? What is this nwlink.vxd? Oh, bear in mind that is a fresh install of windows on a brand new hard drive :-/

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's part of the Novell network protocol - ie. you don't need it - happens in 95 / ors2 / 98 / se (probably happens in ME but I can't find a barge pole long enough)

Use Regedit to find it and remove it (usual warning about reg - all eggs in one basket)

Usually happens when some network settings have changed - the fact that it's been around since late 94 and wasn't fixed by 99 ....

Check your password settings - do all users share the same deaktop / start menu etc ??

or you could save the search for *.exe / age = one day on to the desktop for later use...

gpf's - ha (see also ure / BSOD etc..)

As far as I am concerned gpf's are caused by either hardware problems (1% and diags disk will confirm) or bad OS / program design / half-arsed testing - the Bumpf for 2K says it gpf's 40 times less often than 98

PS: a software timing bug that was known in 95 Beta causes 98 to crash after 49.7 days (there is now a patch) - point is few end users have ever seen a win9x pc on for 7 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    the Bumpf for 2K says it gpf's 40 times less often than 98
    I believe it too. Win98 is now over five years old, and smells quite strongly of urine in this day and age. Unless your PC is an antique I would recommend upgrading to Win2k/XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Might be worth running SFC for a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

a trojan attack perhaps ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭GRAHAM2002

Sounds like u have a virus either take out your h/d and scan it in a friends machine scan your machine from boot with a/v or reload the o/s.

Stephen - just for the record 98se is still one of the most stable windows o/s ( if there is such a thing).

I run 2000 but xp is a croc as u would probably know given your scathing comment.

I have had more probs on 2000 than I ever had on 98.

Sorry just needed to put the record straight.

g

• Advertisement
Advertisement