Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modems and routers

Options
  • 03-08-2003 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

Ok

as broadband is taken off (god bless esat utv and netsources) more and more people will need to know about good solid modems/routers

so this sticky is for that reasion.If you post here please try and inclued the following

1.Name and make of modem/router
    2.Price (try and add vat and delivery charge if needed)
    3.is it easy to use/set up (and remember where not all Dsl techs)
    4.Name of shop or address of web site you bought it from
    5.Your general comments on the modem/router

Please remember this isnt a debateing post just general info :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

I would have taught soild modem's wouldnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Netgear DG824MUK ADSL Wireless Gateway Router with 4 x 10/100Mbps Switch
    Currently €203.65 Incl. VAT

This is the wireless access point, router and modem all in one. Elara were cheaper than any of the English websites that I checked out when I bought this.

Very easy to use, basically just plugged it in, filled in the settings, and I was online. The only slight complication was setting up WEP as it only allows 'passphrase' or direct HEX entry of keys (e.g. no ASCII key entry).

Other modem/router experiences:

SMC Barricade ADSL router - absolutely impossible, didn't get anywhere with it at all. It is possible that the router was broken, the reset button wasn't behaving as expected.

Zxytel USB modem (supplied with Netsource) - completely automatic, they supply a customised CD with all the settings filled in. Very easy for anyone.

3Com OfficeConnect Wireless Cable/DSL 3CRWE52196-ME (UK)
    Currently 108.76_inc. VAT + around 12-13 shipping
    This router was very very easy to use and configure, but I never actually used it with DSL (it needs a seperate ethernet modem).

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Q-Tec 584AA combo DSL modem/router.

€130

I have had no problems setting it up, wire it up to your network card, set the default gateway to 10.0.0.2 and browse into it to setup.

Marx Computer's in Clontarf, Dublin.

I havent done much with it,other than turn it on, connect and leave it on. The longest its been on for without being turned off is 5 days straight, it heats up but never overheats. I have 3 computers networked thru it so far so good.
    From Q-Tec FAQ on the 584AA
    Can this product be used for networkplaying with Sony PlayStation 2 or Microsoft X-Box? Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Is the Netgear DG824MUK the best modem / access point / switch combination available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

SMC Barricade Turbo Wireless 22 Mbps
    802.11b+, 256-bit WEP, 3-port switch
    EUR 99.00 inc. VAT
    Rgds,
    Zepb

Praetorian,

I'm certainly very happy with it, if you need the wireless functionality. I think there is a general consensus that it works better than the D-Link option.

The SMC Barricade mentioned by Zep is at a very good price, you should just bear in mind that you will need a seperate ethernet ADSL modem.

Thanks Blorg. I've just ordered two of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Praetorian
    Is the Netgear DG824MUK the best modem / access point / switch combination available?

Cisco

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

I'm sure Cisco are absolutely fantastic... if you wanna spend that amount of money!!

The Netgear one looks pretty nice alright. I think I'll be getting it. Wouldn't have minded if it was 802.11g tho. But it'll be grand.

What exactly is the complication you were refering to blorg?

What wireless card are you using? Netgear's MA521 from Elara or is there something better/cheaper that I should know of?

• Advertisement

WEP keys can be specified in a number of different ways, (generally passphrase, ASCII, or hexadecimal) although at the end of the day they are 40 or 104 bit binary numbers (+ a 24 bit component that is not user-modifiable). The difference between passphrase and ASCII is that while with ASCII entry you are specifying the actual key exactly, with passphrase the key is generated for you from the passphrase.

Obviously you have to get the WEP key into every device on the network and it would be nice if you could use the same format to do this. The Netgear supports direct hex entry or passphrase but doesn't support ASCII. Windows XP and Pocket PC support direct hex or ASCII. It's more of a hassle to type in a 104 bit hex number than a simple 13 character ASCII code. Especially on a PDA!

It's a very minor issue that would not stop me reccomending the Netgear wholeheartedly.

I'm using a Sony Vaio laptop and a Toshiba PDA, both with built-in WiFi, and they work absolutely fine. I got a SMC PC Card for €36 from Komplett.ie for my girlfriend's laptop. Haven't tried it out yet but SMC are a good brand and it should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 BenII

if you get broadband inet coming in with a normal ethernet lan cable (eg cable modem) all u need is the cheapest 10mbps (not even 100mbps needed as even broadband ain't that fast :p ) hub u can find and a few network cables, and tada u got a completly connected home with as many pcs on the network as ur hub has ports :D if u can't find those old hubs anywhere for whatever reason. (i am sure u can pick em up for under 10euros somewhere) www.komplett.ie is usually cheaper than most pc component stores in ireland but prolly will only sell new equipment which is more expensive ofc.
    i personally don't see the reason for buying new age routers and so on unless they're wireless as they don't give you any advantage over older (cheaper) ones, with current broadband speeds

Originally posted by BenII
    if you get broadband inet coming in with a normal ethernet lan cable

But you don't! Broadband is an RJ-11 cable-normal phone line. It's not an ethernet cable.

Anyhow my reasoning for getting a new age gizmo is cause:
    A) I want wireless
    B) I want a faster network - I already have a 10mb hub but I'd prefer a 100mb switch
    C) It looks nice! :-p

A hub is all well and good but a switch is far better. Even a 10mb switch would be a lot better than my 10mb hub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

Blorg/Praetorian

Has anyone any experience with the DG814 - I have seen good reviews of it although the "firewall" aspect gets a bit of slagging :) Anyway afaics it is the same as the 824 except no wireless functionality - i dont need this as i want to run 3 pc's max and they are not very spreadout - elara have it for just €139 inc vat which seems like a bit of a bargain.

Anyone got any thoughts here?

Regs

Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 BenII

Originally posted by halenger
    But you don't! Broadband is an RJ-11 cable-normal phone line. It's not an ethernet cable.

Anyhow my reasoning for getting a new age gizmo is cause:
    A) I want wireless
    B) I want a faster network - I already have a 10mb hub but I'd prefer a 100mb switch
    C) It looks nice! :-p

A hub is all well and good but a switch is far better. Even a 10mb switch would be a lot better than my 10mb hub.

ye sry about that i meant to say "ie. cable modem" not "eg. cable modem"
    normal dsl/adsl does come over normal phone line yeh.
    however i don't see the reason to buy a switch unless u wanna connect a whole office to it, the speed increase over a hub is noticeable but minimal. and yes i agree, i have 100mbps ethernet cards/hub aswell because 10mbps is just too slow to transfer large amounts of data between the pcs. broadband speed is not increased in any way through it though

I've only experience with the DG824M. I bought two. One works perfectly and the other doesn't. Elara better change it for me today, as I was already waiting a week for delivery.

Ah yeah I know that broadband wont be incresed in speed but my network is faaar too slooooow! :p

And since I have the opportunity to get a router/switch/modem/wireless package I may as well! I've not seen and with a hub instead of a switch. Switches seem to be getting cheaper and more popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

DSL Dlink 504 modem+router combo

160 euro inc vat and delivery from peats

3.is it easy to use/set up (and remember where not all Dsl techs)
    Very, very easy

4.Name of shop or address of web site you bought it from
    Peats.ie

5.Your general comments on the modem/router
    Excellent router, 4 ports on it, easy to use and administrate would recommend it to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Originally posted by m1ke
    DSL Dlink 504 modem+router combo

160 euro inc vat and delivery from peats

The ex-VAT price is €147.93
    (€179.00 inc. VAT)

Delivery is extra

Same model from Elara

is €116.13 Excl VAT
    €140.51 Incl. VAT.

€40 cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by Quorthon
    Has anyone any experience with the DG814 - I have seen good reviews of it although the "firewall" aspect gets a bit of slagging

Ive got one ... have absolutely no problems at all with it ...as for the firewall .. it works fine, none of the online scanners make a dent in it ... you will however need to get a software firewall to stop data going out from each puter ....
    I'm using netsource btw....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Spud_Gun

I month or so ago I bought a Thomson/Alcatel Speedtouch 510 V4 modem/router. I chose this as its recommended by MS for Xbox Live and its also sold by Eircom. This seemed to me to be a good common denominator. It cost me about 150 Euro to buy and with it I got the modem/router, power pack, software and 2 UK ADSL filters.

The router is specifically tailored for a PPPoA connection which BT BB provide, and it takes a little bit of editing of the config file to get it working on a PPPoE connection.

Another great advantage of the Speedtouch is the Telnet interface, and the fact that its fully customisable firewall, NAT, MER, to name but a few.

On the negative side, the documentation could do with a little more padding. The CLI (Command Line Interface) manual is comprehensive, but the User Guide is lacking in trouble shooting information. Also, the Alcatel/Thomson hotline is based in the UK and is a premium number, and as a result it cannot be contacted from outside the UK. That said, they do have an online support form that can be filled out and their response times are very good.

Overall I am very happy with this piece of hardware. I had problems with my IOL connection dropping at random intervals with the IOL USB modem. My connection hasn't dropped once while connected to the Speedtouch. Says a lot about IOL's hardware. The Speedtouch may take a bit of tweaking to get up and running, and once its working you won't be disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Coolermaster

Anyone know when the 11g router is available here in ireland ?
    It is already on sale in US. I couldn't care less about the 11g througput but am interested in getting a better wireless range.

I am getting ADSL installed in a week so don't want to buy now and find out in a few days a new product out.

You shouldn't get a better range from 11g than 11b - it should be approx the same range as 11b (but better range than 11a).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 PeteD

The story with modems/routers so far

Tested on Netsource SOHO and Eircom istream enhanced.

(1)BT Voyager Wireless 2000 www.bt.com/voyager
    Didn't work with netsource or eircom.
    Syncs up to the exchange OK but cant authenticate.
    Notified BT Tech Support of the problem, still waiting response.

(2)SMC Barricade Wireless ADSL Router SMC7404WBRA
    Didn't work with netsource or eircom.
    when the modem syncs up to the exchange the router hangs.
    Contacted SMC tech support, there is a known issue with Eircom istream packages, awaiting further response.
    I had two of these, I thought the first one was faulty.

(3)Netgear DG814
    Works great, looks a bit silly like a silver flying saucer.

I want a good solid modem, with wireless and ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

1. Equipment: D-Link DSL-300G+ ADSL modem, Netgear WGR614 wireless router, WG511 PC Card

2. Price: Total €284 inc VAT and delivery

3. Setup: IP address for both modem and router is the same 192.168.0.1. To get around this, change IP on router to something like 10.0.0.1. Also as the modem remembers MAC address of network card it initially plugged into, your best off setting up the router first (including changing its IP), then connecting modem to the router and configuring it through the router i.e. setting up details of your DSL account on the modem. Knowing this in advance, it took me about 10 minutes to setup network and get connected to the net. However, wireless access took a while longer. PC Card is advertised as working with Windows 98. Tried many suggestions but could not get the Card to work with Windows 98 first edition. Had no problem getting it to work with Windows 98 SE.

4. Supplier: Basewireless.net - happy with service.

5. General Comments: Range and speed is good inside house despite the very thick walls (its an old house). Outside the house signal strength is patchy. Moving just a few feet can result in signal been dropped - reading comments made in other forums I see that other users also experience this sensitivity. Have had the kit a few weeks at this stage and overall am very happy with it. Btw, I'm using IOL Broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭chill

SMC Networks 'Barricade' 2 Port Router with built in ADSL modem: Built in Firewall, USB and Ethrenet connection. Supports up to 253 users.

168 euros incl VAT and installation.

Works great with NetSource

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Just bought me a Netgear DG824M from Amazon along with two MA401 Netgear wireless PCMCIA cards for the two laptops at home.

It looks stylish and was reasonably easy to set up (aside from me spending half an hour fiddling with a supposed DNS problem when in fact I'd made a typo, doh) and does the trick. I just went straight out from the start and replaced the firmware (went from version 1.2 to 1.4 release 5) because I'd read elsewhere that the earlier versions were a bit prone to screw ups.

I'm with Netsource (512/128 RADSL) and downloads are about 55K/sec with pings in the 20-30 bracket.

Wireless reception is pretty good. The router has a little (15 cm) aerial poking up from the back and it seems to do the trick. I can wander all around the house (we have thick walls as well, because that's the way they built then in the 1870s...), I can wander around *most* of the garden as well, shame the weather in this country means I can do that about 3 times a year...

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

US Robotics USB Sureconnect Modem from Elara. 85 euro.

No problems at all...:D

With Netsource RADSL and downloads are consistent. Im happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Robbo
    Just bought me a Netgear DG824M from Amazon along with two MA401 Netgear wireless PCMCIA cards for the two laptops at home.

Wireless reception is pretty good. The router has a little (15 cm) aerial poking up from the back and it seems to do the trick. I can wander all around the house (we have thick walls as well, because that's the way they built then in the 1870s...), I can wander around *most* of the garden as well, shame the weather in this country means I can do that about 3 times a year...

I use the newer USB MA111 rather than the PCMIA in laptops. More flexible (can also be used in desktops). Configurations is ok, had a few issues the first time. Works fine since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

I'm looking for the cheapest solution possible for hooking up my x-box and pc to an Eircom Residential adsl line. Has anyone any experience with this type of router - Sunsway/ST Lab Broadband Gateway router w/4-port10/100 switch UK or am I better off forking out another couple of quid to be on the safe side?

Advertisement