Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modems and routers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I am trying to purchase Netgear DG834G. Is it the same as Elara's Netgear DG834UK. Does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Can anone suggest me a router , I have ntl 600k and now getting new computer , and want both of them hooked up to net.

Im also new to this so , if any one has any tutorial sites or something , they'd be a help.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Originally posted by neokenzo
    I am trying to purchase Netgear DG834G. Is it the same as Elara's Netgear DG834UK. Does anyone know?

I think the G on the end is the german model. UK is the english model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by T-b0n3
    Can anone suggest me a router , I have ntl 600k and now getting new computer , and want both of them hooked up to net.
    This will do the job nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Ripwave
    This will do the job nicely.

I know Elara have good prices, but i'd be surprised if there was a cable modem in it for such a low price?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by eth0_
    I know Elara have good prices, but i'd be surprised if there was a cable modem in it for such a low price?
    Why would he need a cable modem? He's already got one.

seems like its not branded ,this a problem?

and is it easy/possible to set it so that one computer(mine) gets more bandwitdh then the other comp (dads) , so as if im gaming , and dad downloading it will not lag me?
    e.g. if i got ntl 1mb connection , give dads comp max of 400k and then mine has rest or something?

adam

? It's a DLink DI-604.

and is it easy/possible to set it so that one computer(mine) gets more bandwitdh then the other comp (dads) , so as if im gaming , and dad downloading it will not lag me?
    e.g. if i got ntl 1mb connection , give dads comp max of 400k and then mine has rest or something?
    No, it doesn't have that functionality.

I doubt you'll need it.

k cheers for help mate.
    think ill get that from elara along with my iiyama 454 :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

What do people think is the best ethernet dsl modem? I don't want to spend much more than 100-150.

I have a USB modem, but want ethernet so as to network with another PC.

Thanks. I've read the previous postings, but was just looking for some advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

adam

As Ripwave says, it's unlikely that you will need this. If you find you do, you could probably just limit the bandwidth locally on your dad's machine - try Google for ideas.

Originally posted by Paulw
    What do people think is the best ethernet dsl modem? I don't want to spend much more than 100-150.

I have a USB modem, but want ethernet so as to network with another PC.

Thanks. I've read the previous postings, but was just looking for some advice.

This Netgear DM602 from Elara has ethernet and USB for EUR 90 inc VAT.

This DG834 includes a 4-port switch for 130.

DCB Group were offering a 3Com OfficeConnect Router with ADSL modem, 4-port switch, 802.11g wireless and a free 802.11g PCCard for EUR 95 (ex VAT). This was last month though, the offer may be over. I've had 3Com stuff in the past and it is good.

I've currently got a Netgear DG824+ (Wireless 802.11b + 4-port Ethernet) which I'm quite happy with. The D-Link alternatives also have a good reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 tek

Fellas is it possible to get over the traffic limit by overwriting the MAC of the router ( there is a DSL ISP that monitors its network by scaning for MAC adresses of routers they sell Zyxel Prestige 645R) or its easier to use some shadowy proxy ( there is no limit on traffic inside the country)

Cheers in advance

Originally posted by tek
    Fellas is it possible to get over the traffic limit by overwriting the MAC of the router ( there is a DSL ISP that monitors its network by scaning for MAC adresses of routers they sell Zyxel Prestige 645R) or its easier to use some shadowy proxy ( there is no limit on traffic inside the country)

Cheers in advance

Simple answer - no. The capped DSL providers in Ireland all use PPOE, which requires authentication with your own personal username and password, and I'm presuming that they are linking the traffic metering to this. Also, AFAIK, none distinguish between traffic inside/outside the country, or even inside/outside their own network - traffic is measured between the first computer and their network and yourself. *If* you found an ISP that didn't charge for traffic outside Ireland and an Irish proxy that you could use, then no, I presume they wouldn't charge you. But I think the question is somewhat academic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

If you are gaming, and someone else is downloading at the same time, then you most definately do need this feature, but this is much more easily done using software.

Get any old router, and just install NetLimiter on your dad's computer and make sure its limited to no more than 1/4 of your max download and 1/4 or 1/2 of your max upload.

E.g. f you have 600k down and 150up, set your dad's computer to only download at 150k and upload at a max of 75k. (about 20kb/sec and 10kb/sec respectively). Anyt more than this and your ping will rise noticeably. Just mess around with the settings til you find what works best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Current Setup:

D-Link DSL 300T (acting as a DSL/PPPoE bridge modem for the Linksys)

&

Linksys WRT54G (54Mb/sec wireless router serving 2 PCs)

No more nasty wires & the Linksys handels everything, don't even need to touch the D-Link.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Im using a Dlink G604t wireless router. Its pretty sweet. I have not set up the wireless part yet, i will when i get a wireless card for laptop. No hurry as i wired the house up for ethernet ages ago so have BB shared over that anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭knucks

Anyone know of an all in one type wireless AP/modem/router/firewall that has a built in print server.... ie I want to plug in my printer and phone line only, and then use my laptop "wirelessly" for internet and printing????

I don't want to spend a fortune and would like to buy in Ireland.... Am I asking too much?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Baldy

Originally posted by blorg
    You shouldn't get a better range from 11g than 11b - it should be approx the same range as 11b (but better range than 11a).

I'm pretty sure you can get a better range from the 802.11g although you with have to reduce the throughput to 11 mega. I vaguely remeber reading something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭seedubya

Hi all,

anyone have a DLink DSL 300T working with Eircom BB?
    My client just bought one and while it will sync. it will not connect. he has a fixed ip address.

Existing Dlink 504 is working fine but he is changing to a seperate modem and router for other reasons.

would really appreciate replies, particularly if you're successfully using one with Eircom and a fixed IP

TIA

seedubya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

Almost working - SMC Barricade G router behind Eircom BB supplied Netopia Cayman.

Set up of Netopia was automatic via eircom CD - no problems. Verified link by connecting PC straight to that before hooking up SMC router.

Setup SMC with DHCP (IP address allocated by Netopia Cayman) and Cat5'd 1 PC and a hub to it. Two more PCs connected to the hub. All PCs are getting IP addresses via DHCP. All PCs have internet access. Those behind the hub can see each other (Ping and drive share) but the third PC cannot see the other two and vice versa. Any ideas?

Also, wireless connection is useless. Not sur eif its the router or the EZonics USB adapter I'm using. Its only 802.11b, but even using it at a range of 3 feet I get a poor signal. When I tried to install the driver on my laptop, it blew away my TCP/IP stack!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Originally posted by knucks
    Anyone know of an all in one type wireless AP/modem/router/firewall that has a built in print server.... ie I want to plug in my printer and phone line only, and then use my laptop "wirelessly" for internet and printing????

Similar question to Knucks;

Have read the thread & links and am more perplexed than before ;-)

I'm looking for a Wireless broadband router with 4+ Port Ethernet Switch + Firewall + Print server to share ADSL, a few VPN ports might be handy too.

Can anyone recommend a good but cheap piece of kit that is easy to set-up - for someone whos good at everything bar networks.

This is for a home office that will, fingercrossed, hopefully grow.

cheers for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Sitecom DC-214 ADSL home station (DSL modem/4-port ethernet router, +USB port)
    Cost €115
    Using the provided windows-based config utility, its fairly easy to set up if you know the PPP settings, etc... you can also use the web-based admin panel but thats a bit more complex
    Bought from maplin (hence no delivery costs)

I would not recommend anyone buy this router. Avoid it because it is EXTREMELY unstable.. The web-based admin freezes every few minutes, DNS lookups regularly stop working for no obvious reason, and when the lease on your IP address from your ISP expires, the whole thing crashes and requires a reset.. I've already gotten it replaced and the new one does this aswell. As far as i can tell its just badly designed... ive gone over the settings, checked them, rechecked them, checked them again, changed MTU settings a few times, changed client PC settings, and nothing seems to solve the problems..
    Also, according to maplin (this is the excuse they gave for the first one not working), the power adapter supplied with it is the wrong type.. :rolleyes: (they gave a third-party adapter with the replacement modem..doesnt seem to have helped much)

pencil wrote:
    Similar question to Knucks;

Have read the thread & links and am more perplexed than before ;-)

I'm looking for a Wireless broadband router with 4+ Port Ethernet Switch + Firewall + Print server to share ADSL, a few VPN ports might be handy too.
    I'm not sure what you think you mean by "a few VPN ports". Most of the devices that have hardware VPN support for more than a single point to point VPN don't fall into the residential category that is usually discussed here. (You might want to look into Sonic Firewalls, to see if they have something that meets your needs, but your not talking about sub €200 devices any more).

Netgear do a broadband router with wireless and a USB printer port:
    http://www.netgear.com/products/details/FWG114P.php?view=sb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I just picked up a Linksys WAG54G, it seems fine but I thought I'd do some firmware upgrading anyway. I'm on UTV Internet DSL and I wasn't sure whether this made me "Annex A" or "Annex B", and since I didn't particularly want to go off and flash the wrong firmware, I left it be, although for no good reason I suspect I'm a member of annex A. So, which firmware?

I just picked up a Linksys WAG54G, it seems fine but I thought I'd do some firmware upgrading anyway. I'm on UTV Internet DSL and I wasn't sure whether this made me "Annex A" or "Annex B", and since I didn't particularly want to go off and flash the wrong firmware, I left it be, although for no good reason I suspect I'm a member of annex A. So, which firmware?
    A Google search suggests that "Annex A" is for equipment that is designed to work with DSL over POTS and "Annex B" is for DSL over ISDN.

We'd be Annex A in Ireland.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=53

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

STaN wrote:
    Current Setup:

D-Link DSL 300T (acting as a DSL/PPPoE bridge modem for the Linksys)

&

Linksys WRT54G (54Mb/sec wireless router serving 2 PCs)

No more nasty wires & the Linksys handels everything, don't even need to touch the D-Link.

I have just bought the modem and router as above but am having problems setting it up... would anyone be able to give me any advice?

We had the router set up (ie. each computer was getting an ip address and able to see the router) but couldn't access the internet through one of the computer's internal modems.
    Fine, so I left it set up and bought an external modem which I then placed in between the router and the phone line coming from the wall... they both had the same ip addresses so I changed the router's one... but still couldn't see the modem (or set it up).

So then I took the router out of the equation and tried to set up
    the modem on its own, ie. one computer accessing the internet through the external modem. Fine, got that working.

So I figured it should be easy enough to add the router back in and connect the computers through that to the modem, but the router won't play ball (even though the lights on it were all on, ie. it was getting a connection to the computers). It stopped handing out ip addresses, can't access the config page etc. Tried restarting, hard resetting the router and still nothing.

Anybody got any ideas, or a way to get these two guys working together?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

hey all,

I have two computers here at home I use to connect to the internet with my ripwave modem. Up until tonight I was using a netgear 5 port switch to get both computers access to the modem, however in the last few days one of the computers took a distinct dislike to this way of operating, so I decided I'd better get it sorted. Now because the switch wasn't its own seperate dhcp server and because ripwave gives out dynamic IP addresses and because the problem computer seemed to come up with its own IP address and finally because I didn't want to take down the firewalls on both computers it meant that I couldnt test the computers as a part of a home network to see where the problem lay with the second computer. Enter the router.

Now I have the two computers with IP addresses in a certain range, so I can set me firewall to trust the computers in that range and then I will be able to see whether the second computer has networking problems or whether it was with the modem (I personally believe that irish broadband found a way to prevent one modem having more than one IP address).

I havent checked the second computer yet, but the most important thing is that the router I bought worked, first time, out of the box. No fiddling, no farting, just connect the cables, turn on the power, and bob's your mother's husband's brother in law.

I bought my router in maplin today (one of their specials!) and at a cent under fourty euro, its some of the wisest money I spent this week. It should work with all other broadband services (assuming you have the ethernet variety) and has a web based config utility.

Link is here: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=42560&TabID=1&source=3&doy=9m11 and that sterling price comes up to €39.99 in euro.

Baz_

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

I've just tested me second computer and it works like a charm, even tried it in linux not a bother, excellent.

This is what you call a zero install plug and play solution. There is no configuration necessary, but like I said there is a web based configuration utility and there are plenty of options to mess around with if you are that way inclined.

Baz_

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 draecke

Hi,

I have a DSL-300T and Esat/BT Broadband. Did you get the ADSL modem working?

Thanks

Donald.

Advertisement