Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modems and routers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

Thanks for all the advice :/

Just as information, the problems I was having with the WRT54G (above a few posts) weren't normal... I eventually got it setup but it was really temperamental and disagreed frequently so I sent it back and the new one is working like magic. Networking for dummies...

I'd thoroughly recommend the linksys router now which is more than I could say for it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Khanfred

This is my current router / modem combo:

Modem (supplied by IOLBB): Zyxel Prestige P 623 T1

Router: Linksys BEFSX41
    €85
    Unity Etail (on Jervis St., Dublin)

Basically, this does not work at all. Continually getting "PPPoE Authentication Error" messages, or "PPPoE Connection Error" for a change the odd time.

Avoid. And didn't think Linksys's customer support was up to much either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭wanwarlock

hi all,

got this router yesterday, initially had problems getting connected to the net cos the default for the linksys was dhcp. then i changed the type to static ip then off i went!

currently using 1 pc, 2 wireless + 1 wired laptops.

works well at the mo!!!

highly recommended!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

I am with NTL Broadband using their NTL:Home cable modem with my own Linksys WRT54G wireless router.

I have a desktop with a wired connection to the router and use a laptop with a wireless connection. I can also connect using my WiFi Sony Clie PDA.

No problems setting up and easy to open up ports for Bittorrent and other apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have a Linksys WAG54G at the moment, but I've about had it with the frequent wireless problems it has (well reported here ) so I'm considering going with a SMC 7804WBRA instead.

Anyone used/ have any opinions on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭squishey

pencil wrote:
    Similar question to Knucks;

Have read the thread & links and am more perplexed than before ;-)

I'm looking for a Wireless broadband router with 4+ Port Ethernet Switch + Firewall + Print server to share ADSL, a few VPN ports might be handy too.

Can anyone recommend a good but cheap piece of kit that is easy to set-up - for someone whos good at everything bar networks.

This is for a home office that will, fingercrossed, hopefully grow.

cheers for any help.

Not too sure what your price range would be but....I am currently using a Vigor2600G from Draytek. It has all of the above features plus adsl modem and a few more things thrown in for good measure. Very easy to setup via web interface. Ive had it in work for about 6 months now and have had no problems. I got it from Dabs.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Splendid

Can anyone reccomend a Modem/Wireless router that would work with smart.
    It's supposed to be adsl2? So i'm assuming that a standard one won't work.

Cheers.

Splendid wrote:
    Can anyone reccomend a Modem/Wireless router that would work with smart.
    It's supposed to be adsl2? So i'm assuming that a standard one won't work.

Cheers.
    I would have thought that it's just the modem that neeeds to be ADSL2 compatible. It shouldn't matter to the router. Smart will give you a modem and then you could use any WiFi router - I've got a Linksys WRT54G, which I'd recommend.

Cheers, i was told i should scrap the modem and get a modem/router combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Splendid wrote:
    Cheers, i was told i should scrap the modem and get a modem/router combo.
    If you are non-technical this does indeed make it easier (and cuts down on the clutter as everything is in the same box.) There are also reports of certain router/modem combinations not being compatible. If you are of a technical disposition you can probably get a two-box system working however.

• Advertisement

Ah thats grand so. Thanks lads.
    If i don't get it working, i know someone who will.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

Can anyone recommend a good modem that wont crash/drop connection when I have too many downloads goin on.

I used to be able to have loads of downloads goin in azereus and emule, but since getting a 3com office connect wireless router, I had to change the modem (esat zyxel 600 series) from routing to bridge for the modem to work with the router.

Anyone know of a good one?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

The disconnects can be a result of the router itself and not the modem. Since the modem did work before and doesnt now that would seem the case. Also you said the modem is in bridge modem which means that the router (your 3com) is controlling the modem for connecting. Your best bet is to connect 3com first and talk to them before going and buying a new modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

Thanks for the that Ryaner.

Is there a way to have the modem on routing and have the router work aswell, because I was never happy this setup because I cant actually access my modem through the router.

router is 192.168.1.2
    modem is 192.168.1.1

only way I could get them to work, but its a bollocks if you have to get into the modem settings.

I was starting to think that it was maybe the router and not the modem, but I figured it was more the bridge/routing thing, also I didnt understand why it would make the modems ACT light go off.

Ill look into it though, thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Just got eircom bb up to the new house. Wireless modem in toe that they gave is a netopia modem. Haven't had much time to do any testing or scrutiny of its security so anyone know anything about them. I'm sure others have them as I think they are the standard for eircom.

Questions are how secure are they, firewall any good etc... the usual q & a's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

-Al- wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a good modem that wont crash/drop connection when I have too many downloads goin on.

I used to be able to have loads of downloads goin in azereus and emule, but since getting a 3com office connect wireless router, I had to change the modem (esat zyxel 600 series) from routing to bridge for the modem to work with the router.

Anyone know of a good one?
    Cheers
    I'm not sure if it's for the one you have but 3Com just released a new firmware (v2.05) last week, which seems to have solved a lot of issues people were having with it before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭wanwarlock

just got smart bb, and had the same problem with other ppl using the same aolynk dr814 router.

so can any1 recommend me a new (wireless) router? is this a modem+router or just a router? i've used the linksys wrt54g before, so can i use the same for smart?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭romperstomper

I am also having problems with aolynk modem in conjunction with a wireless router. I asked komplett to recommend an all in one product and they have suggested:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=311825&view=detailed
    (Billion 7202G Wireless ADSL/2+ Router )
    Anyone have this?? Can anyone recmmend it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 chloe2k

I have had experience providing telephone support on various routers & I've found the following:

Netgear routers are excellent
    Adapter DG834 & DG834g are excellent adapters
    I cannot imagine any difference with other models, they are very easy to setup & configure.

Belkin are cheap and easy enough to setup.

D-link are good also.

I would avoid thomson routers, as they are a little messier to configure.

-Al- wrote:
    Thanks for the that Ryaner.

Is there a way to have the modem on routing and have the router work aswell, because I was never happy this setup because I cant actually access my modem through the router.

router is 192.168.1.2
    modem is 192.168.1.1

only way I could get them to work, but its a bollocks if you have to get into the modem settings.

I was starting to think that it was maybe the router and not the modem, but I figured it was more the bridge/routing thing, also I didnt understand why it would make the modems ACT light go off.

Ill look into it though, thanks again.

You have to buy routers that specifically work with modems. Most standard router will not do so unless specified :cool:

• Advertisement

seedubya wrote:
    Hi all,

anyone have a DLink DSL 300T working with Eircom BB?
    My client just bought one and while it will sync. it will not connect. he has a fixed ip address.

Existing Dlink 504 is working fine but he is changing to a seperate modem and router for other reasons.

would really appreciate replies, particularly if you're successfully using one with Eircom and a fixed IP

TIA

seedubya

Eircom May use dynamic addressic system rather than a staic addressing system, this appears to the case with most isps, you'll need to check with eircom. If they don't support static addressing you'll have to use dynamic addressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Prof. Nutbutter

hello.
    Im thinking of getting the ntl starter broadband pack 1MB. They dont provide a modem as far as I know, so I checked out komplett. http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=311824&cks=PRL
    I dont know jack about dsl modems. Is there any reason for me to splash out onn the more expensive one? I'll be using the connection for music and film downloads, and some online gaming, nothing too hectic. Or, even better, is there a cheaper alternative that would satisfy my needs

hello.
    Im thinking of getting the ntl starter broadband pack 1MB. They dont provide a modem as far as I know, so I checked out komplett.
    NTL do provide a modem. In any case, they modem you selected is an ADSL modem, which would be no good with NTL - you'd need a cable modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Prof. Nutbutter

ok cool. Are you sure they still do that though, ive read nothing about it, unless it comes under free installation. I would have thought they'd have made a big point of it, so that the less sharp of us might pick up on it. :rolleyes:

While were on the subject, is there anyway to get out of the twelve month clause at the same good price, and if not, can the account be transfered to another house, and if so would that be expensive.

I know I should probably ring NTL on that one, but it is twelve o clock at night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Not sure if its been mentioned already but the linksys gear is good equipment+ its a subsidery of cisco so u know ur getting good stuff.
    www.linksys.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Alisha

since I saw that some people asked me how to properly configure a netgear router dg834 to make it work with smart telecom broadband I decided to simply put online a page which is basically the mail I send to people asking me about hot to set it up.
    It's a sort of step-by-step tutorial with screenshot of the settings
    I included a link to download the latest firmware to make the routers compatible with adsl2+

I hope mit will be useful :)

you can find it at www.alisha.it/netgear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i'm thinking about getting Digiweb's 2mb DSL package and i want to use 2 pcs to access the connection. Digiweb provide an "ADSL Router - USB + Ethernet ports and Easy Config Wizard". Neither pc has network cards in them, can i just connect the router to one pc using USB and use the connection through that, and then buy a network card with some form of Ethernet, and then put it in the 2nd pc and connect it to the router using an ethernet cable?

or do i have to buy a network card for both pc's to make use of the BB connection?

would i just be better of buying wireless netwrok cards for each pc, and buy a wireless router, and not bother with the router that Digiweb provide?

the pc's would be within about 30m of each other in a bungalow. the 2mb Digiweb package uses static IPs...

thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Some of the USB+Ethernet routers will allow you to share the connection in the way you describe, with one computer using the USB connection and the other using ethernet. However with ethernet cards as cheap as they are (€7 each on www.komplett.ie), I'd suggest that you just get two ethernet cards - this will likely be simpler and also let you share files, etc. between the computers.

If they are desktop PCs and it's relatively easy to string ethernet cables between them and the router, stick with the wired network: it does work better than the wireless, besides being cheaper. If there is a laptop or if the wiring would be tricky, go for wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

I have a Thompson 4 way router speedtouch 510 for over 2 years now with no problems untill now. I got blueface voip using linskys pap2 (ata) and the router is blocking my incoming calls. Blueface support tell me i need to be on UDP with port 5060 open and ports 10000 to 20000 open.How do i do that?I put in the ip address of the router and i can see all the various settings. I think the one i might need is NAPT because i can see a drop down menu in there with TCP/UDP.?Dont know what to do next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Ok scrub that last post , I now have incoming calls. Blueface support is the best.All i had to do was ask for help with it and the job was done.

Advertisement