Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modems and routers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dmck

Hi i'm geeting the IBB 1mb breeze service installed next week. I have a PC and a laptop. Could anyoine please recommend a good wireless card, router etc that will work easily and well with IBB?

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

blorg wrote:

If they are desktop PCs and it's relatively easy to string ethernet cables between them and the router, stick with the wired network: it does work better than the wireless, besides being cheaper. If there is a laptop or if the wiring would be tricky, go for wireless.

hey can you get 100 foot long cables? I want to run one downstairs to my kitchen and not sure if i want to splash out on wireless network cards

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

okcomputer wrote:
    hey can you get 100 foot long cables? I want to run one downstairs to my kitchen and not sure if i want to splash out on wireless network cards
    Ready made cables of that length are expensive - approx €75 for a 30m cable on www.elara.ie. You could make it up much cheaper yourself - not difficult, or even better, you could wire a socket at each end and make it a little less ugly looking. 100m of Cat5E is approx €25. Plugs are dirt cheap - €5 for a bunch. Sockets a little more expensive - €5 each perhaps. If you're putting plugs on each end, you will need to buy or borrow a cable crimper though - maybe €40?? Connecting to the sockets is much easier - if the appropriate tool is not provided (it usually is), a flat head screw driver will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Stugots wrote:
    ... on www.elara.ie.

Please note that there's some question over the trading status of Elara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 diggler

Hi there.
    Just bought myself a wireless Router/Modem combo. I just cant get the damn thing working. I have followed the instructions to the word and spent time onto BT. They suggested I come here.

I am as far as the Wizzard on the Web Based management user interface. I enter the correct username and password. Cant connect. The lights are showing fine on the router and the connection status is fine. BT dont register any attempts to connect from me. Any suggestions?

Belkin ADSL Modem with wireless G(54)router.
    Cost me 140 Euro and included a USB Network Adapter

Thank you Kindly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hespy

Got a linksys 4port wireless-b router and a pcmcia card from digidave on ebay. Router was refurbished but card was new. Both working perfectly after following simple instructions. Price: €58.31 for a "Buy it now", including P&P from UK. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

whats the story with the Netopia WiFi Router that those shaggers Eircom are selling?

Is it a combined ADSL and Wireless Router, and is it any bloody good? They're offering it for free as part of their BB deal.

Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 courghan

Hi guys, I need to buy a router to put in front of my Asus WL500G. I want to use awired router to keep my VoIP ata (Linksys PAP2) always on and turn on the wifi network only when its needed.
    I can't decide between a new DLink DI-604 or a 2nd hand BEFSR41 V3, they come at about hte same price. My connection is a 2MB cable which may be upgraded to 3Mb.
    Hope you can give me an advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Conar

diggler wrote:
    Hi there.
    Just bought myself a wireless Router/Modem combo. I just cant get the damn thing working. I have followed the instructions to the word and spent time onto BT. They suggested I come here.

I am as far as the Wizzard on the Web Based management user interface. I enter the correct username and password. Cant connect. The lights are showing fine on the router and the connection status is fine. BT dont register any attempts to connect from me. Any suggestions?

Belkin ADSL Modem with wireless G(54)router.
    Cost me 140 Euro and included a USB Network Adapter

Thank you Kindly

You should be able to connect using the following settings:
    Encapsulation - PPPoE
    Multiplex - LLC
    VPI - 8
    VCI - 35

Then just enter your username and password.

P.S. Don't forget you can always use the Wireless router as just a router, and use your BT modem as your ADSL modem. (connected via crossover)
    But don't forget to disable DHCP on the wireless router and disable the firewall on one of them 2, otherwise you'll be doubling up and will cause problems.

LOL....just realised how old that post was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

nab :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

This one looks pretty good. Has anyone had any experience with it?
    3COM - OfficeConnect Wireless 11g Cable/DSL Gateway Firewall
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE958613&productID=118305
    xSDL modem.Wireless 11g 108mbps, 4 lan port switch, firewall. For 114 euro[/URL]
    I hope to connect a desktop over ethernet, a laptop with wifi card and an xbox 360 using an ethernet to wireless bridge.

Will this work on bt? Do they use PPPoE? There is something in the description of this that states:

NOTE: This product is designed to support DSL over POTS (ITU Annex A). Availability varies by region; check with your ISP for support details.

BT uses PPPoE.
    Cannot access that link.
    Can you repost?

If it supports PPPoE it should work!

Conar wrote:
    BT uses PPPoE.
    Cannot access that link.
    Can you repost?

If it supports PPPoE it should work!

Damn, that looked like a good value too...

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE958613&productID=118305

Doh- i just edited and reposted the wrong one twice, this should work now...

That appears to be simply a router.
    The description is very misleading and commonly used.
    Basically it is capable of routing the traffic from an ADSL modem to your network.

If you already have an ADSL modem (such as the free BT one) then you can use this.
    If not then you'll need to buy an additional ADSL modem or purchase a wireless router that is also an ADSL modem.

It does say its an ASDL modem on the first line of the overview. Are you looking at the same one I am (sorry this may be my fault i fecked up the link at first)

3COM - OfficeConnect Wireless 11g Cable/DSL Gateway Firewall

Yeah, sorry I got there before you edited it. The one I was looking at was only 70 odd euro.

POTS seems to mean Plain Old Telephone Service so I assume that it means that it rules out ISDN lines.
    Does no state that it supports PPPoE.
    May be worth ringing Elara to confirm that it will work, but as far as I know all ADSL in this country (using the eircom network) uses PPPoE. The fact that an irish shop is selling it would lead me to believe its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 5euros

In case anyone is interested, I had real problems configuring my Belkin router to pick up the BT Broadband connection. After much trial and error it connected when I switched the "Connection Type" to PPPoA (and not PPPoE).:D

I think the problem is with the router and not with BT. Hope this helps any Belkin users out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

try plugging your modem in to a 4 or 8 port switch and then out to your x boxes... they will bothe be seen by dhcp.. cant see why he would have aproblem after that.. especially if it works on 1 x box

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I'm using the Zoom X5v 5585 Modem/Gateway/Router/Firewall purchased from www.digidave.ie for €105 inc. vat & P+P it was the best value all-in-one combo (inc. voip gateway) I could find at the time. There is also a wireless version now available.

Had some problems with the firewall blocking Windows Messenger so I turned it off!

Only other drawback is that it only allows use of one voip provider, although in reality this hasn't been a problem.

http://www.zoom.com/graphics/datasheets/adsl/0196_5585_5586_X5V.pdf

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Obelix

Evening all

Newbie poster and techno-retard here. I'm trying to achieve a wireless broadband set up at home. I've got a Dell Truemobile card and a US Robotics 11Mbps access point but I don't know how to configure them or even whether it's possible to get them to work together.

So I'm thinking that before I spend the rest of my waking days annihilating what little grey matter I possess, why not ask some people that seem to know a lot about this class of thing. And that, I'm hoping is where you guys come in.

thanks in advance

Obelix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Obelix

Evening all

Newbie poster and techno-retard here. I'm trying to achieve a wireless broadband set up at home. I've got a Dell Truemobile card and a US Robotics 11Mbps access point but I don't know how to configure them or even whether it's possible to get them to work together.

So I'm thinking that before I spend the rest of my waking days annihilating what little grey matter I possess, why not ask some people that seem to know a lot about this class of thing. And that, I'm hoping is where you guys come in.

thanks in advance

Obelix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mattdamon

I've just bought a linksys wireless router and i've connected the eircom bb unit. It connects to the computer but doesn't allow me to connect to the internet. i've been on to linksys and they can't find a problem and eircom dont want to know about it. Can anyone help me with this? Will a linksys bb modem solve my problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I'm looking to get a Wireless router, unfortunetly the signal has to travel about 20 metres and through three concrete walls. Because of this, and because of what people have said about Argos and there returns policy, I'll probably go with them because I'll be able to bring it back when it doesn't work.

This is what is available in the Irish Argos I don't know which one to get. The broadband is coming via wireless, and a there doesn't appear to be a modem that it goes through, just through a small cigarette size white box, and then into the network slot on the pc. I'd prefer to keep the main pc connected via a cable and then my laptop via the wireless. I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Buceph wrote:
    I'm looking to get a Wireless router, unfortunetly the signal has to travel about 20 metres and through three concrete walls. Because of this, and because of what people have said about Argos and there returns policy, I'll probably go with them because I'll be able to bring it back when it doesn't work.

This is what is available in the Irish Argos I don't know which one to get. The broadband is coming via wireless, and a there doesn't appear to be a modem that it goes through, just through a small cigarette size white box, and then into the network slot on the pc. I'd prefer to keep the main pc connected via a cable and then my laptop via the wireless. I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Try the new Pre-N stanard for wireless, they say its 600% further reach!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No difference through walls.

Linksys, Netgear, Dlink. Not Belkin.

Can you put in attic? Or are all the floors concrete?

My Dlink can be received in side a minibus across the road front of house through two walls, one is solid concrete, router sited the rear of house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

watty wrote:
    No difference through walls.

Linksys, Netgear, Dlink. Not Belkin.

Can you put in attic? Or are all the floors concrete?

My Dlink can be received in side a minibus across the road front of house through two walls, one is solid concrete, router sited the rear of house

I bought a Linksys WRT54G and I can pick up the signal, at a strength of good through three walls, a large fireplace and ten metres. So I'm very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tadgh

Can anyone recommend a suitable wireless router for use with Digiwebs HomeWave (wireless) broadband?
    I presume that it must be a non-DSL router, but which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I am pretty sure Digiweb terminates with an ethernet connection, so you want something like this from Komplett. Fantastic price on that, it's on special offer this week (which means you would have to buy it today before 11pm.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 samwab

mattdamon wrote:
    I've just bought a linksys wireless router and i've connected the eircom bb unit. It connects to the computer but doesn't allow me to connect to the internet. i've been on to linksys and they can't find a problem and eircom dont want to know about it. Can anyone help me with this? Will a linksys bb modem solve my problem?

I have the same problem with a linksks WRT54gs wireless router and a netopia cayman 3341 BB modem supplied by eircom. Is it a compatability issue or is something broken? Should I bring the linksys back to the shop and try a router with a built in modem? I've literally wasted days trying to get this stuff to work. Help me please.

Advertisement