Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modems and routers

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

samwab wrote:
    I have the same problem with a linksks WRT54gs wireless router and a netopia cayman 3341 BB modem supplied by eircom. Is it a compatability issue or is something broken? Should I bring the linksys back to the shop and try a router with a built in modem? I've literally wasted days trying to get this stuff to work. Help me please.
    Set the modem into "Bridged" mode. See the FAQ in the Wireless forum for details.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054981219

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tadgh

blorg wrote:
    I am pretty sure Digiweb terminates with an ethernet connection, so you want something like this from Komplett. Fantastic price on that, it's on special offer this week (which means you would have to buy it today before 11pm.)

Thanks Blorg

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Hi,

I am moving from UTV to BT and want to know if my Liknsys WAG54G will work well? I have had mixed results on UTV, with occasionally needing to reset the ppoe connection.

There are very few modem/router combination devices on the market at the moment. Are they not such a good idea?

Am I better getting the BT modem and combining it with a wireless router like the wrt54g?

Thanks,

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Conar

I'm using the wrt54g with the BT router without issue.
    I have the wrt54g set up in bridged mode though so ther BT router is handling the internet end.
    There are also some firmware updates which help resolve the loosing the settings malarky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

What's the standard setter in DSL modem come wireless router land these days?

My Netgear DG834G has done me proud over the years, but the coverage has always been a bit iffy, and I have more computers to connect from larger distances these days. Time for an upgrade methinks, and although the Belkin N1 appeals to me in terms of sexy industrial design, I think I'm going to have the bite the bullet and take what's best, rather than what's prettiest. :)

adam

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Preferably with VOIP ports, cough bump.

adam

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Currently in an apartment with a router providing ethernet connections into each room. Looking to get the PC and Wii up and wirelessly connected but also want to future proof myself a little if we move apartment.

Therefore, I'm looking for a wireless modem/router that accepts standard ethernet connections as input as well as the standard telephone input. Apartment (and future one) will probably be small enough so range isn't a huge issue but would like it to be capable of being detected through a few rooms.

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

Netopia 2247, PCWorld usually sell them {€25} as Eircom starter pack, suited for most isp's dsl.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

ixoy wrote:
    Currently in an apartment with a router providing ethernet connections into each room. Looking to get the PC and Wii up and wirelessly connected but also want to future proof myself a little if we move apartment.

Therefore, I'm looking for a wireless modem/router that accepts standard ethernet connections as input as well as the standard telephone input. Apartment (and future one) will probably be small enough so range isn't a huge issue but would like it to be capable of being detected through a few rooms.

Any recommendations?
    *BUMP* Any further recommendations? Are combined router/modems more difficult to setup as routers than a stand-alone router?
    And do all router/modems accept both ethernet inputs and standard telephone inputs for dialup? I'd assume so and I'd assume, by extension, that routers themselves would never have a telephone input as they wouldn't require them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nancy

hi,
    i have a nice zyxel prestige 660ru-T1 that i got when i signed up for digiweb's dsl service. i'm moving to the u.s. where my new dsl provider wants me to pay upfront for a modem. i'd love to use this zyxel but i haven't been able to find out if it's got a built-in step down power converter. so i'm trying to find out if i can get away with using a simple plug converter when i get to the u.s. or if i need to use a step-down power converter to accomodate for the 120v standard used in the u.s. anyone have any thoughts??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

Should there be a poll on routers?
    Is there any make to avoid?
    Watty says "Linksys, Netgear, Dlink. Not Belkin."
    I want to cover a two-storey house about 30 metres long, assuming the wireless broadband connection terminates in the attic as described below.

I found this old post:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054971956
    "You can set up a wireless router no bother. That's what I did. Went to PC World in Carrickmines, purchased a belkin wireless router for around 80 quid. Got the guys to terminate the ethernet in the attic (They did offer to run it to a point in the sitting room, but I didn't want cable running down the wall) and followed the very simple instructions that came with the router and it worked out of the box. Total setup time from nothing to secured wireless network...20 minutes."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Given that people's knowledge of routers/networking has improved since this thread was created way back in August 2003 and the last reply to this thread was March 2007, I'm going to unsticky this thread unless there's any objections?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Maybe you need a small locked post that covers
    Routers with ADSL built in
    Routers with no ADSL but ethernet WAN. (Needed for most Wireless services and often for Cable)
    Routers for PCMCIA or USB modems
    WiFi, on a router or standalone Airpoint.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

watty wrote:
    Maybe you need a small locked post that covers
    Routers with ADSL built in
    Routers with no ADSL but ethernet WAN. (Needed for most Wireless services and often for Cable)
    Routers for PCMCIA or USB modems
    WiFi, on a router or standalone Airpoint.

perhaps but in many ways, mac, windows, wirelesss and computers and tech covers all this, so is there really a need in the broadband forum?

Unstickying thread, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Cabaal wrote:
    perhaps but in many ways, mac, windows, wirelesss and computers and tech covers all this, so is there really a need in the broadband forum?
    A link to those. People tend to simply look as far as BB and post Qs about anything remotely related. We get same problem in Cable/Digital/Broadcast place.

Advertisement